PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We both ok ty xx. Got snow forecast off and on all week here, snowdrops and crocus only so far. Looks like Spring might be late and cold again Polly eh?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Still be newspaper though? :)

Hmm, they're made from wood pulp too...hadn't thought of that....
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Don't even think about putting newspaper down a conventional loo, unless you have a plumber as a personal friend/ first degree relative willing to sort out the resultant blockage. Not to mention all the fun down at the water treatment works when they try getting that lot out.

Yup, it's do-able if you have an old style privy but the price of newspapers these days is prohibitive. Mebbe time to go the bidet route, for those with bathroom space enough and money/ inclination?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Zentimes
    Zentimes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karmacat, Herbily - wow and thank you! Although I've done seed sprouting in water only, then growing them in tiered container without soil, Peter Burke's method looks terrific! And would provide fresh, nutrient packed seedlings if the store supplies of fresh veg dwindle (and tasty additions to salads if not!). I will think about how I can organise this at home, we have no south facing windows (and way too much clutter on windowsills) but with a bit of reorganisation it will be possible.

If nothing else, all this prepping has enabled a big clear-out of no longer needed 'stuff' in our house and I feel now the extra space is being put to a better use. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We grow alfalfa sprouts in a large jam jar on the window sill! a tablespoon of seed soaked in warm water for half a day, drained carefully and then a piece of J cloth secured over the jar mouth by an elastic band instead of the lid and make some larger holes in the j cloth with a skewer. Rinse the seed and drain carefully twice a day store it on it's side in the light and within a week you'll have a jar full of succulent crunchy seedlings that the girls called 'tickly salad' when they were tiny. It stands as a cress substitute in sandwiches and salads and is the easiest way I know to have fresh homegrown winter vitamins. It's easier than mustard and cress!
  • mardatha
    Options
    I can cope with cress but that's it. The very idea of sprouted seeds makes me shudder! Memories of horrible gungy jars on school windowsills growing "experiments" ... oh YUKK :eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    herbily wrote: »
    Karmacat, re microgreens - there's a great book by Peter Burke called Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening. His method is quite simple, and basically involves shoving watered seeds in a container of compost/soil into a cupboard for a couple of days, then putting them on a light windowsill for a few more days until the plants are big enough to eat. I've only tried this with an old packet of mizuna (lettuce-type stuff) and it worked fine.
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/indoor-salad-garden-zm0z17djzsor
    I love Mother Earth News, thanks for that. Love that pic on that page: I could definitely do that. I've already got a couple of books, so I won't buy any more right now, but thank you for that reference - I've put it on my wish list on amazon to keep a hold of it (I'm not even at home right now).

Zentimes wrote: »
    Karmacat, Herbily - wow and thank you! Although I've done seed sprouting in water only, then growing them in tiered container without soil, Peter Burke's method looks terrific! And would provide fresh, nutrient packed seedlings if the store supplies of fresh veg dwindle (and tasty additions to salads if not!). I will think about how I can organise this at home, we have no south facing windows (and way too much clutter on windowsills) but with a bit of reorganisation it will be possible.

If nothing else, all this prepping has enabled a big clear-out of no longer needed 'stuff' in our house and I feel now the extra space is being put to a better use. :)
    That's great - honestly, I see so much potential in things like that. And decluttering a bit is always helpful.

mardatha wrote: »
    I can cope with cress but that's it. The very idea of sprouted seeds makes me shudder! Memories of horrible gungy jars on school windowsills growing "experiments" ... oh YUKK :eek:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:yeah, thats not a good look, is it :rotfl: and a worse memory! We never did that at school - I just remember rusty bunsen burners and thick rubber "pipes" leading to them; I was hovering at the back being a bad girl :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just read this article about vertical integration of agriculture in America & thinking ulp.

I do hope we are not at this risk here in the UK yet
    “Investors buy the land, and they have tractors and combines that you can run by computer,” she said. “They’ll hire somebody to sit in a little office somewhere and run that stuff off the computer and farm the land that way. Now what you’ve done is you have lost the innate knowledge of how to grow food and raise animals. You’ve lost a whole generation of it, probably two. Now we are going to rely on a few corporations to decide who is going to eat and who isn’t. We’re one generation away from that picture right now.

Anyone know how to raise a pig from farrow to finish? Have children who can help ewes lamb (wonderful small hands & slender arms)? As these are going to be marketable skills - if we don't succumb to the price convenience of the machines.

Snow melting here so will excavate the germinators & clear the windowsills later.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All the time there are smallholders and allotmenteers and people have gardens there is the capacity to produce just a little of what you eat, even if you only have a windowsill you can still grow tomatoes and herbs, they'll NEVER take that small element of freedom from mankind, no matter how remote they get!
  • mardatha
    Options
    Never going to be viable in hill farms in Scotland, not worth their bother. Thankugod.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure