Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helpmee
    • By helpmee 8th Nov 19, 6:38 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    helpmee
    Making floor open plan - who do I need to notify?
    • 8th Nov 19, 6:38 AM
    Making floor open plan - who do I need to notify? 8th Nov 19 at 6:38 AM
    Hi all,
    I live in a terrace townhouse and I'm going to be knocking down the walls on the first floor floor to make the whole area open plan. We had a structural engineer come in who said that none of the walls we plan to knock down are supporting but he didn't provide a report saying that in writing... (if needed we will get that). My question is who do we need to notify regarding the work and do we need to have any paperwork changed. I.e do I need to get the deed of the property changed, notify the council, etc. I will get building control to sign off the work.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 8th Nov 19, 11:25 AM
    • 8,792 Posts
    • 8,060 Thanks
    phill99
    • 8th Nov 19, 11:25 AM
    • 8th Nov 19, 11:25 AM
    Is the kitchen on the first floor?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • helpmee
    • By helpmee 8th Nov 19, 1:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helpmee
    • 8th Nov 19, 1:16 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 1:16 PM
    Yes it is. Currently the kitchen is cramped, want to open things up to make its feel more spacious
    • phill99
    • By phill99 8th Nov 19, 1:19 PM
    • 8,792 Posts
    • 8,060 Thanks
    phill99
    • 8th Nov 19, 1:19 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 1:19 PM
    I assume that there is a fire door on the kitchen? Do you have fire doors on the bedrooms?

If not, you may well be asked to put fore doors on the bedrooms or provide a safe means of egress (eg putting a fire wall and door up) so that the kitchen isn't open to the stairs. You need clarification from BC
    • helpmee
    • By helpmee 8th Nov 19, 1:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helpmee
    • 8th Nov 19, 1:40 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 1:40 PM
    There are fire doors on the bedrooms. There's also a firedoor on the kitchen. We are going to fit a sprinkler system - we are not keen on this but understand it's a requirement to attain building control sign off
    • phill99
    • By phill99 8th Nov 19, 3:04 PM
    • 8,792 Posts
    • 8,060 Thanks
    phill99
    • 8th Nov 19, 3:04 PM
    • 8th Nov 19, 3:04 PM
    There are fire doors on the bedrooms. There's also a firedoor on the kitchen. We are going to fit a sprinkler system - we are not keen on this but understand it's a requirement to attain building control sign off
    Originally posted by helpmee
    OK That makes sense.
    • helpmee
    • By helpmee 15th Nov 19, 7:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helpmee
    • 15th Nov 19, 7:23 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 7:23 PM
    Hi,

The builders knocked the walls down earlier today. The main guy asked us where we wanted the new power points to be placed and suggested an electrician who later came round and provided a quote for the installation of (around 10 dual) power points as well as 12 downwards facing LED lights. He mentioned that with the existing fuse box, only one half was protected by a RCD and as the other wasn't, it wouldn't meet new regulations. He quoted a price of 500 to replace the fuse box and 1200 for the lights and power points (not including led lights).

Can anyone tell whether the fuse box needs to be replaced? His quote for the lights and power points seems a lot to me.

Thanks.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 15th Nov 19, 9:40 PM
    • 3,920 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 15th Nov 19, 9:40 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 9:40 PM
    It depends on what you mean by "needs to be".

There are still many houses out there with no RCD at all. Building regulations are not retrospective - if something complied when it was built/installed, then you can't be forced to upgrade it whenever new regulations are introduced.

But an electrician may not want to make extensions or modifications to a circuit that doesn't comply with the latest standards. If they are a registered electrician, then they work to the rules of their registration body.

My consumer unit only has one RCD. It protects all the sockets, the garage and the shower. The lights and immersion heater aren't protected. I consider that to be a low risk and I live with it. Other people may think otherwise.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Nov 19, 11:22 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 4,289 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 15th Nov 19, 11:22 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 11:22 PM
    He mentioned that with the existing fuse box, only one half was protected by a RCD and as the other wasn't, it wouldn't meet new regulations.
    Originally posted by helpmee

If there is space in the consumer unit, fit a second RCD. Failing that, use RCBOs on the circuits that need the extra protection. That said, the consumer unit still wouldn't meet current regulations if it is a plastic box...
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

621Posts Today

5,896Users online

Martin's Twitter