Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Comments

• I see myself as a pretty savvy moneysaver but must admit boiler cover has got me very confused!!

It seems like almost every big company has poor feedback!

Is there a consensus on who offers a good quality product? I've found a company called row.co.uk, but can't seem to see them mentioned anywhere on these forums. Their reviews online seem to be positive, but would be great to hear from fellow moneysavers!

Thanks in advance :)
  • Having installed a brand new boiler which is excellent I find that I am still getting problems elsewhere in the system - pipes, stats, radiators etc.

I was on Homecare which worked fine but cancelled this as the new boiler has a 7 year warranty.

Has anyone managed to overcome this problem please? I don't really want to pay for a contract which covers too much in fact BG like many others will not cover new boilers which are covered by mfrs warranty. :D

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    :T If a job needs doing, do it :T
  • Henry-Root wrote: »
    Having installed a brand new boiler which is excellent I find that I am still getting problems elsewhere in the system - pipes, stats, radiators etc.

I was on Homecare which worked fine but cancelled this as the new boiler has a 7 year warranty.

Has anyone managed to overcome this problem please? I don't really want to pay for a contract which covers too much in fact BG like many others will not cover new boilers which are covered by mfrs warranty. :D

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

I've not heard of central heating cover minus the boiler. As you've discovered, cover seems to start with boiler only, then gradually increases in cost to include more of the heating and plumbing system.

I would question the purpose of such insurance anyway. Paying insurance cover for anything results in higher cost for the average consumer. Insurers make money out of their clients - that's their business model. Consumers take out insurance when they can't afford to suffer the potential financial loss if a particular thing (or system) breaks.

Home insurance cover, I understand because most of us couldn't afford to rebuild our properties in the event of a catastrophe without insurance. But in this instance, what's your maximum possible financial outlay? The boiler is covered by the manufacturer's warrantee so we're talking radiators, controls, pipework, tanks/expansion vessels etc. Surely any problems with the heating system wouldn't cost much to put right, should the worst happen?
  • I've been looking for some time now before we move to a new property. Looking online and here all of them seem to have lots of negative reviews, which makes me wonder should I just save cash each month for a worst case scenario??? :undecided

The other issue I have is the almost inevitable price hike you'll get after 1 year! Seeing all the posts of 20-50% price hikes is ridiculous. I did notice a company called YourRepair allow you to fix the price but would I be better going for the bigger companies, British Gas, Homeserve?
  • I am moving into my first own property later this month and I am a bit confused.. having rented until now I never had to take any boiler cover.. the boiler is about 5-6 years old now (its a greenstar cdi if I remember on the top of my head).. I am tempted to take the boiler, central heating, plumbing and electrical cover at least for my 1st year until I get my foot around managing my own property etc.. How is British gas in this? I can see they have an offer for this at just over £18 a month for 1 year... However I can also see there is a £100 cashback when i get this via topcashback so there by coming to just over £10 for the first year.. any advise is appreciated :)

Make £2019 in 2019 Challenge - £272.48/£2019
  • Scottishpower have really good insurance at the minute... they have teamed up with Domestic and General and provide a fast reliable service from as little as £5 per month (depending on your level of cover). The top package is £19.75 however they have 6 months half price at £9.75.

They also do appliance cover too!

If your an SP customer they have a tariff providing lowest unit rates and standing charges and includes Boiler cover for £9.

Well worth looking into... I have a friend who works their who highlighted them to me.

Will give up to £750 towards a new Boiler if yours is beyond repair :)
  • :D I've just seen this now buddy, I didn't expect you to post it on here! Glad it's working out for you!

Not sure if you are still watching this, but it's been a while! We should catch up sometime!!!
  • I’m stuck with a mighty annual fee (£640) for boiler and central heating cover with British Gas (not my energy supplier). I say stuck, because when they fitted the boiler 5 years ago it came with Hive for free and If I switch cover to something more realistic I will lose Hive. Is there a cheaper alternative to Hive that gives me remote setting (which I consider a must)?
  • How will you lose Hive? Do you have a monthly subscription? If so you should be able to cancel it, and continue to have access to your heating from remote locations as long as you have Internet (broadband or SIM-based) in (i) your home and the Hive is connected to it, and (ii) at the remote location(s).
  • Hi All,

Moving from Homecare 400 as they want a ridiculous price for renewal. I have the following choices and wondering if anyone had any personal experiences/recommendations/stay away warnings -

1. EDF Energy Total Protect

2. Homeserve

3. 24/7 Home Rescue

TIA
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills