Economy 7

Options

Comments

• cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My immersion heater plus some power for freezer and fridge/freezer use night hours of E7 and use 1250 kwh a year and my day time use is 3200 kwh. So I am over the 25% threshold that is considered to be the starting point for E7 to be economic. However I am now on a single rate tariff which is cheaper for me than a 2 rate E7 so I no longer use my tumble drier and washing machines at night. However I think tumble driers may have got safer .
  • Biscuit_Tin
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    .. Don't change the meter: many suppliers will happily add up both readings and charge a single tariff....

No, I think "many" is rather an over-exaggeration of the true situation ;).

If you want a single rate tariff, and you want to be able to choose from the whole of market, then you will need a single rate meter.
  • BKD1972
    BKD1972 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »
    You don't necessarily need to change the meter to not be on an E7 tariff, many suppliers can happily add two readings together to bill on a single tariff.

More worrying is that you're buying a flat on which you're unsure if the heating is going to bankrupt you? That said, the free heating from the neighbours is handy. A couple of years ago I was in a "middle" flat and was insulated on four sides; heating bills were amazingly low!

The heating wont bankrupt me, I just wont use it much. I hardly had the heating on when i had gas central heating in my house. Its paying a higher E7 rate on other electrical items throughout the peak times that I cant avoid.

I've just had an email from the seller saying the electricity bill is around £35 a month but she doesnt have a TV. Thats nothing but i'm not sure its the truth :)
  • BKD1972
    Options
    It's up to you. It's going to cost you an arm and a leg trying to keep the place warm with normal rate electricity, as you accept. But at least you could save a bit on your hot water. :money:

I'd think very carefully about proceeding with the purchase, or at leasr allow in the purchase price enough money so that you can install a heating system that you can afford to run.

Any expenditure in upgrading the heating will be reflected in the resale value whenever it is resold.

Don't be tempted to put the car before the horse. Decide what form of afforadble heating you plan to install (if you do ahead with the purchase) and then decide what is the best energy tariff(s) for you.

As mentioned above by another, E7 can be cheaper even for very low (or in some circumtances, zero) overnight usage.

I've set money aside for upgrades.

Do you know anything about Fischer?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, I think "many" is rather an over-exaggeration of the true situation ;).

If you want a single rate tariff, and you want to be able to choose from the whole of market, then you will need a single rate meter.

You're entitled to your opinion, and Gerry1 and I ours. I've been chopping and changing energy suppliers since the 90s, always with E7 meters, and have never failed to have my switch accepted on a single rate tarrif. Some on these forums find this hard to believe, to extent that I had to post one of my Ovo bills to disprove the lie that they would not accept E7 meters on a single rate tarrif.

When I did take up a Yorkshire Energy E7 tariff recently the break even point was just 15% off peak.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 October 2019 at 11:14AM
    Options
    BKD1972 wrote: »

Part of the Outfox The Market / Eco7 family it would seem, with their wonderful reputation for outstanding customer service... NOT.

They sell very expensive so-called storage heaters that run on very expensive full price electricity. You can't even cancel your order because they claim their radiators are made to measure. The 'guarantee' means very little, it's only that the radiators are big enough, and it excludes the electronics bits after two years. There's zilch about the running costs, which will be astronomical because the cost of a kWh of full price electricity is about 4 - 5 times that of gas.

The glowing Trustpilot reviews are very curious: they are usually from new contributors and are limited to how neat and tidy the recent installation was back in the summer. You're unlikely to find many that say they've been warm throughout the coldest winters and their bills have been lower.

Set aside money for Gas CH instead. Ask the seller to show you the electricity bills.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if this place didn't originally have storage heaters, and a previous owner has been talked into ditching them. (Are there two fuseboxes?)

In that case, I would buy some second hand storage heaters from ebay, and install in hall & lounge.
  • BKD1972
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Part of the Outfox The Market / Eco7 family it would seem, with their wonderful reputation for outstanding customer service... NOT.

They sell very expensive so-called storage heaters that run on very expensive full price electricity. You can't even cancel your order because they claim their radiators are made to measure. The 'guarantee' means very little, it's only that the radiators are big enough, and it excludes the electronics bits after two years. There's zilch about the running costs, which will be astronomical because the cost of a kWh of full price electricity is about 4 - 5 times that of gas.

The glowing Trustpilot reviews are very curious: they are usually from new contributors and are limited to how neat and tidy the recent installation was back in the summer. You're unlikely to find many that say they've been warm throughout the coldest winters and their bills have been lower.

Set aside money for Gas CH instead.

Thanks. They do look a bit dodgy.

not sure the lease will allow gas CH.

I think i'm stick with an electric heating system, its just finding the best balance
  • Biscuit_Tin
    Options
    BKD1972 wrote: »

Not as much as I now know about you ;)
  • BKD1972
    Options
    Not as much as I now know about you ;)

:eek: