PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    At the moment I'd say ram prices are on the high side, SSD prices are low and graphics cards are currently on the way down. There's been a mining boom and crash so the graphics cards have come back down to sensible prices although I'd say they're still high given the 10xx range is a good few years old now. Nvidia have released some of the 20xx range but the prices on them are crazy at the moment so the 10xx prices have been holding.

I think the PC is in a really good place for gaming these days as it's overcome most of the traditional disadvantages it's had while keeping the advantages. My main gaming PC is about have its seventh birthday and is still capable of gaming at high resolution at high settings although it has had a new GPU, that's cost less than the Xbox One and Xbox One X I bought during the PC's lifetime. I find games now are good at picking up the settings themselves so there's no need to spend a lot of time tweaking settings and they also work well at natively supporting the Xbox controllers. I'm impressed with play anywhere on the PC where you can play games bought on the Xbox on the PC as well, cross play with Xbox players and use Xbox features like party chat.

Backwards compatibility is a big advantage as well, while the Xbox does have limited support now for backwards compatibility it requires emulation which can mean performance is worse than the 360 whereas a current PC can not only run most games but usually much better than when they originally came out.

Consoles on the other hand feel like they're going backwards gaining much of the PC's complexity, in the Xbox 360 days I was often fed up with how long PC games took to get working so liked being able to chuck a disc and just play the 360. Now it's the other way round and I find myself playing more on the PC as the consoles are needing another huge patch. Hardware wise the consoles are weak compared to their predecessors with the switch to off the shelf hardware meaning they've been left with older budget parts instead. The CPU's even on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are particularly bad as they've been largely ignored in favour of GPU upgrades. I can understand there wasn't really the budget to install a decent processor but it's all the more noticeable with play anywhere.

All that said, I feel the PC still fails as an under the TV device which is where I still prefer consoles. I did try a PC in this role for a while with it permanently hooked up to the TV but even with it booting into the Steam big picture mode I still found I frequently needed to hook a mouse and keyboard which just got annoying.
  • Dandytf wrote: »
    Thanks mser's
    With no modern time pc home use other than office.
    I did have a very short trial of Eve online which ran reasonably well from i5 mabook 13.1 (512ssd +1gg gpu-integrated)
    I could re visit Eve online also had a quick shot of Call of duty though Advanced warfare on consoles wasn't gripping enough.
    Noticed there is going to be FFXIV -online MMRPG-this could be interesting.
    Could re visit Sim CIty build it ( I spent hours on 2000)
    Maybe there is 'builder' type games during 2019 to build up people trade or towns/maybe light strategy type games.
    I honestly think returning to p.c. Could be fun though I'll need to avoid dx266 1st build error years ago when I didn't plug in risers correctly with m/board and case though it did boot to bios when I couldn't install win95 as I didn't have boot up floppy .

Are mser's agreed then i5 8400 nvideagtx1060 3 or 6gb
    8 or 16 gb ram
    450 0t 500 cpu
    128nvme m.2 ssd
    1tb seagate. Hdd
    Case/monitor/keyboard mouse t.b.c
    Win10 usb-Amazing this could be plug and play from boot
    I have the parts listed from Scan uk
    I could save a small fortune if initially:-
    I purchase 1060 3gb (not 6gb) gpu
    I purchase 8GB 2666 ddr4 ram (not 16gb)
    Is above savings going to make some gaming slow and unreponsive or could I make use until I can upgrade later in 2019 or next year.
    Almost forgot to ask is todays costs reasonable or are pc components at a higher rate lately -is there any reason to delay this build until q2 or later-if so when until and why
    (I have a few days last week Jan I'll only order if I'm not jumping ahead)

Get the 1060 6gb over the 3gb
    Stick with 16gb Ram
    i5 8400

You will not be disappointed
    :)

no reason to hold off, the new line of gpus have been released and the cpu is very powerful will last many years.

prices go up and down for many reasons if you have been watching them for a while just grab when they are low enough.
    I managed to pick up my 1080 for just over £400 when the 2080 was released, it has now gone back up to £560 (where its still in stock) I had been watching prices for a while and was more than happy to pay that.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2019 at 8:28PM
    @matmidgley

Your 1080 example is why I was asking as I'm not sure when prices are low or high only online costs as such, I'm no where near 18080 for a year or two though would like to save a few pounds if possible, is 8gn ram and 3 gb 1060 a definite NO-avoid at all cost type purchase.
    Maybe for initial build- which could be much faster if savings can be made.
    Maybe I Could delay until summer and increase funds though that is going to take a few months.
    I've today read some Amazon cpu/m/board and ram bundles -this type of purchase could at least get some kit home and help motivate adding hardware.
    That 1080 increase upto 560 -does that mean hardware has gone higher again.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • Dandytf wrote: »
    @matmidgley

Your 1080 example is why I was asking as I'm not sure when prices are low or high only online costs as such, I'm no where near 18080 for a year or two though would like to save a few pounds if possible, is 8gn ram and 3 gb 1060 a definite NO-avoid at all cost type purchase.
    Maybe for initial build- which could be much faster if savings can be made.
    Maybe I Could delay until summer and increase funds though that is going to take a few months.
    I've today read some Amazon cpu/m/board and ram bundles -this type of purchase could at least get some kit home and help motivate adding hardware.
    That 1080 increase upto 560 -does that mean hardware has gone higher again.

Its not a definite but any review will tell you to take the 6gb over the 3gb for the sake of the small saving.

I was waiting for the 2070 release, but after the 2080 was released and the price/performance was not as great as expected I guessed the 2070 would not be a lot of difference from the 1080.

I waited for the prices to drop as new ones were released and when it got to a point i deemed it to be worth money I went for it. It could of back fired and price could of gone lower but I lucked out.

For a system build just set your budget and work out the best you can afford. There is always price changes and new hardware you could end up waiting a long time.
    There are many reviews with benchmarks for games you want to play.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    Thanks all advice
    I'll continue to save until late Summer as I'm only@ 500 pounds.
    I'll then prob go with i5 8400 or later -though I was tempted with a bundle from Amazon to get the cpu/m/board+ ram -though with no additional funds for storage/PSU/case etc+win10 I'll continue to save and maybe almost double 500..
    I'm starting from scratch and will need monitor+computer desk suitable 1 bedroom flat.
    Only slight temptation to use credit cards to complete a build last week in Jan though I'm getting used to saving some funds.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2019 at 11:06PM
    What do you think is the best type of gaming? Do you prefer PC gaming or Console gaming?

I prefer console. It's cheaper & often the games I want to play are exclusives. However it's really subjective.
    Do you agree that mouse control is better with pc gaming when it comes to first person shooters, think of how the mouse controls the gun so much better than a console controler

I've played first person shooters on a dual shock 3 & the biggest problem is I lose track of which stick is performing which action. So I run round like stevie wonder.

You can use a keyboard and mouse on a console, people who use controllers complain about the unfair advantage those people get.
    Then there's the entire genre of (MMORPG Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games where you need the keyboard controls to cast spells and to interact with the gameworld that I don't think consoles will ever be able to match

Consoles have had the option of using keyboards for quite a few years now.
    Then there's always going to be the overall graphics quality is going to be much higher on a computer

The gap at the beginning of a generation is going to be much lower than the end & you can opt to throw as much money at your PC as you want. While in the past you have no option to do that and now you only have the choice of a high end or low end xbox/ps4.

I also enjoy laying on the sofa playing a game on the TV using a gamepad, which you could do on a PC of course.
  • For me, I'm better with pc gaming than console gaming. Specially if you are using a wireless gaming mouse and a keyboard. I'm using the logitech g903 gaming mouse and drevor calibur. I promise u dont wanna do console gaming.
  • I just cant get into PC gaming, theirs too many variables and errors that could occur.

While i agree a mouse and a keyboard is the perfect set up for first person shooters, i just prefer being able to sit on the sofa, put a game in and it just work straight away.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    I thought I could settle with i5 8400+Nvidia 1060 3 or 6gb.
    CPU's and Gpu's are not slowing at all.
    Ryzen 3000 CPU's-navi gpu's.
    Nvidia 1180 to site between 1080/2080.
    I'll decide once I lmost double 500 budget hopefully during summer
    Which mmrpgames are pc players enjoying.
    Need to get a system build for FFXIV
  • TubbyDown wrote: »
    I just cant get into PC gaming, theirs too many variables and errors that could occur.

While i agree a mouse and a keyboard is the perfect set up for first person shooters, i just prefer being able to sit on the sofa, put a game in and it just work straight away.

Errors such as?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport