'Is it fair for Ryanair to pay compensation?' poll discussion

Comments

• MacsReturns
    MacsReturns Posts: 335 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2010 at 10:19PM
    Personally, I have no sympathies on either side of that particular choice. I'd expect insurance to cover it. It's tough for the customers, but if you pay cheap, you get cheap. Get over it.

Imagine the lawsuits if a plane actually came down...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone - Thoreau
  • Brydav
    Brydav Posts: 37 Forumite
    I was left stranded in Spain by Ryanair a few years ago when, after several hours in the airport being told that the flight was only delayed, my flight home was cancelled due to a technical problem with the plane.

Ryanair offered to give us seats on later flights, but it soon became apparent that it was likely to be at least 5 or 6 days before I could get one. As I was staying with relatives, accommodation wasn't really a problem but I needed to return to the UK for work so I booked a flight the following day with a different airline (at a considerably higher cost than Ryanair!) and, in due course, Ryanair refunded the cost of my unused flight.

Given the tight margins that low-cost airlines like Ryanair operate, I suppose that this is all we should realistically expect - though I do think they should include contingency plans for replacing a faulty aircraft if it becomes unusable. When problems arise, as they did for me and then for thousands of people this week, travel insurance should cover the additional costs. That's precisely why we buy it! However, when we find we actually need it, It turns out to be no use whatsoever.

I only hope that insurance companies take the medical emergency portions of their policies more seriously (and that I never have to find out), because the "cancellation or curtailment" section isn't worth the paper it's printed on! :mad:
  • Brydav
    Brydav Posts: 37 Forumite
    Personally, I have no sympathies on either side of that particular choice. I'd expect insurance to cover it. It's tough for the customers, but if you pay cheap, you get cheap. Get over it.

QUOTE]

I'd 'expect' the insurance to cover it too. Unfortunately, in many cases it doesn't.
  • As some people may know, from my previous posts... I love Ryanair!

I don't think its fair that they have to pay in this instance, it was outwith their control. I think the company should be liable if they cancel flights because of issues they are having (maintenance etc).

I think a fairer way of dealing with this in the future is charge everyone on every flight a sum such as 25p which would be kept by the EU for these sort of compensation claims. It doesn't seem a lot but with 24,000 flights a day with 150 passengers average its £90,000 a day which will mount up and would be available should something like this happen in the future?
    ⚠ 2014 - COUNTDOWN TO INDEPENDENCE ⚠
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ryanair have always stayed just within EU law, for example: Visa Electron is the only payment method they take without extra charges. I think there's an article on MSE that says that only 20% of people have a Visa Electron, and it is going to phased out within the next year.

Yet, Ryanair are within the law, which merely states that they must accept one method of payment that does not attract charges. They can't take cash, cheques or bank transfers because they're a web-based operation, so they go with a particular card type.

I'd love to know how they came to choose Visa Electron as their fees-free option.

Michael O'Leary seems to love having his cake and eating it. Now, if we could only replace his Black Forest Gateau with a nappy cake, that would probably take the smile off his face *evil grin*.
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 April 2010 at 12:03PM
    I am interested in the logic of the 42% who believe that Ryanair are right to try and shirk their responsibility to passengers based on ticket price.

Do those 42% who believe that ticket price at the lower end should dictate the manner in which an airline treats their passengers when the !!!!!! hits the fan also feel that the ticket price paid at the higher end should dictate the manner in which an airline treats their passengers when the !!!!!! hits the fan?

For example lets take your full fare airlines and and a trip from the UK to say Asia, how should each passenger be treated if stranded?

Passenger A
    £600 Non Flexible Non Refundable Economy Ticket.
    Passenger B
    £1400 Fully Flexible And Refundable Economy Ticket.
    Passenger C
    £3000 Business Class Ticket.
    Passenger D
    £5500 First Class Ticket

Do we stick passenger A in a 2 star twin bedded hotel room with meal vouchers for a nearby greasy spoon and have them share with a fellow passenger and put passenger D in a suite in a 5 star Hotel complete with the services of a butler, a chaffeur, a dresser, a selection of the finest sex workers the city has to offer and unlimited access to food and beverages?

Needless to say I accept fully that all airlines will look after certain passengers better than they will others when it comes to getting them home, but how exactly do you calculate the level of duty of care based on ticket price?
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • mogadon
    mogadon Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tojo_Ralph wrote: »
    I am interested in the logic of the 42% who believe that Ryanair are right to try and shirk their responsibility to passengers based on ticket price.

Passenger D will get better treatment and better service than Passenger A before, during and after the flight. Nobody queries that. Why shouldn't it extend to what happens when flights are grounded?
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 April 2010 at 1:23PM
    mogadon wrote: »
    Passenger D will get better treatment and better service than Passenger A before, during and after the flight. Nobody queries that.
    Nobody queries it because passengers A, B and C know and accept that it is what passenger D has paid for. :)
    mogadon wrote: »
    Why shouldn't it extend to what happens when flights are grounded?
    I am not saying that it should or should not, I am simply asking if the 42% who believe that Ryanair are right also feel duty of care should be reflected at the other end of the monetary scale?
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • wildthing01
    wildthing01 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if the rules say ryanair should pay, then they should pay, regardless of how much the flights cost - i don't understand their argument here - they choose to stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap, as a way to generate their profits, and from what i know, they aren't exactly struggling to stay in business, so why do they feel any less honour-bound to pay than a premium airline?

however, i find it a bit ridiculous that any airlines have to pay at all - it's not their fault that they couldn't run flights - surely this ought to be covered by the travel insurance - what's the point of insurance if not to compensate for unforeseen circumstances such as these?????
  • Zebra
    Zebra Posts: 6,702 Forumite
    Poll Started 22 April 2010:

Is it fair for Ryanair to pay compensation?
    Those political pollsters would be proud of you Lawrence, there's nothing quite like prejudicing a poll by the terminology of the question.

It's not "compensation" in any shape or form but recovery of costs only.

For what it's worth my opinion is the EU Directive is disproportinate and unfair, in fact almost as disproportionate and unfair as Ryanair's policy on baggage allowance, but as those ever-helpful check-in staff keep on reminding us - it's all written in the small print.
    So I'm sorry Mr O'Leary, if you didn't read the small print and take the necessary precautions then you've no-one to blame but yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure