Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have to pay extra for sitting with my friends on a flight?

Options
124»

Comments

• Sparky6_9
    Options
    Why do people complain about the 'additional' charges of these 'budget' airlines. You get what you pay for. At least you have the option if you want hold luggage, priority seating, meals etc. With 'non-budget' airlines you pay through the nose for these items whether you use them or not. You make your own choice. Just make sure you know whats included before you book, then you can decide whether the 'budget' choice really is the cheapest if you need hold luggage, meals and extra legroom. A lot of the budget airlines fly to places that many other 'premium' airlines would not entertain, so credit where it is due. The only negative I would say about the 'budget' airlines is that customer service, from others experience, is poor when things go wrong.

As for the person who agreed to pay for reserved seating. JUST PAY! And next time organise it yourself, then you might appreciate how difficult it is trying to arrange these things for everybody.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it's too late to question the price - and who are you expecting to pay the extra for your seat now anyway? You should have asked at the time, or made it clear that you had a budget limit. You didn't.

You went on the holiday. You sat in the seat that had been paid for so that you could sit with your friends. Now you can only write it off, put it down to experience and be the wiser for any similar future events. You can't expect someone else to pay for the pleasure having had you sit near them.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On the rare occasions that I travel as part of a group then we wouldn't dream of paying extra to set together, that would eat into the alcohol fund. Its an airline ploy to gouge more money out of needy/clingy adults.
  • Glynis111
    Options
    Yes, definately. You had the chance to check it out (we've all done it) You cannot expect your friend to pay the extra for everyone. There are always unexpected bills on holiday. I would not invite anyone on another trip if they failed to pay. Awkward may translate into being ditched by the whole group for being mean.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    If you weren't organising it you should have asked up front what the cost was. Now, yes, you should pay up as you 'went along with it' and your friend booked and paid on that premise.

This - very sensible advice.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    This - very sensible advice.

I think anyone organising something with a monetary cost for friends should be very clear about costs so I think the organiser is partly to blame.
    But seriously silly to agree to something and not ask 'how much?'
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another pointless "money moral dilemma", I do wonder what MSE get out of this sort of thread.

It's clickbait, plain and simple.

They put stupid things like this on their MSE main site, they get new members joining the forum (you just have to look at the number of new users who answer these 'dilemmas'), more registered users = more advertising revenue.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure