PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The War against plastic waste

Comments

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I still use the real nappies I had for my sons. They are now late 20's.
    They are great cloths, very absorbent. A couple of then I've hardly used as keeping them for when the others wear out. Doesn't look as if it's happening any time soon.

The plastic windows in envelopes really annoy me. I shred the envelopes but have to pull the plastic out first and then the plastic can't be recycled.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I’m having a bit of deja vu. As a child my mother saved the waxed paper that was used in those days to wrap loaves of bread, and reused it to wrap sandwiches. Everyone else had theirs in cling film. I was so embarassed ...
  • I found a recipe, in case anyone is interested, for a multi-surface home made cleaner. It is from an article in The Guardian. 2 tablespoons of washing up liquid, 1/4 cup of white vinegar, put in a spray bottle and fill up with hot water and then shake. I used it this weekend and seems to be working quite nicely.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It is not at all clear that real nappies are better than disposals.

Disposables contain all sorts of chemicals (bleach to give them that white colour and who knows what to draw the fluid to the core and hold it there). once you realise that, who wants all those chemicals against their little bundle of joy's nether regions.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    [*]Our council does not segregate recycling into categories. It all goes into the one bag, for sorting at the depot. They even accept shredded paper, plastic bags and foil trays so, if I'm not sure something plastic is recyclable - say, old Tupperware - I'll still include it.
    - Pip

This is just about the worst thing you can do. You should never put in something for recycling if you are not sure it has been asked for by your local council. Councils list what they want on their websites, it doesn't take a minute to check.

When all recyclables are put into one bin, they are sorted by machinery. The machinery is not 100% effective, and so a lot of contamination remains. It varies dependent on the facility. If contamination is too high, the whole load will be rejected, or this poorer quality stuff is that which is more likely to end up dumped in a foreign country. One benefit of box collections where materials are all separated and sorted into different parts of the vehicle, is that they result in low levels of contamination as wrong materials can be left by the recycling crews.

Milton Keynes council was one where waste was found in Malaysia on the War on Waste programme. They were also recently subject to penalties by their waste collection company because the amount of contamination in their recycling was far higher than expected. Around 25% of what is put in their recycling bins is not what should be. A lot of that will be well-meaning people putting things in that they *think* should be recycled, rather than what is actually asked for.

We shouldn't just be focussing on recycling everything, we need to ensure that we are recycling the right things as well, as if it's all a load of rubbish masked as recycling, then no one will want to make anything out of it.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    ... and the arguments for real nappies are made by "environmentalists", who are following a belief system. Environmentalism is not a science, its a religion.

I've followed the argument for a long time. I read the 2005 report and the later "revision". You can't say the assumptions are erroneous. There is no evidence for that.

Real nappies might be environmentally better, if you wash them at 30C with your other whites, use them for 4 children, and pass them on to friends once you have finished with them. Some people will do that, others won't.

I don't think we should be sending them to landfill. We should be sending them for incineration with [STRIKE]every[/STRIKE] energy recovery.

Schemes to recycle disposable nappies are being developed, but the total environmental cost of these niche schemes is never clear.

I am fully on the side of reusable nappies, but as with everything reusable - the benefits generally come from the number of times an item is reused. A cloth nappy that is washed at high temperatures, tumble dried and then binned after one child is probably not better than a disposable, but one that is reused on several children and washed according to the instructions at 40, and line dried, will have a much better benefit. There are strong second hand markets for nappies which saves cost and the environment too.

A cloth bag has a much higher environmental impact than a plastic bag and so is only of benefit if it is used hundreds of times.
    Incineration produces CO2. Landfill produces CH4 which is far worse.

Energy can be captured from incineration.

Energy is used to transport mixed recycling, separate it, run the mechanical equipment in a materials recovery facility, build and maintain the recovery facility and the high tech equipment it uses, and transport the separated materials hundreds, if not thousands, of miles for further processing.

Some materials are definitely worth recycling. Others may not be.

You can capture methane from landfills and use it for energy ;) I'm teasing, incineration is definitely better than landfill, but it's not the magic solution either. We need to reduce waste in the first place - it's not ok to bin something just because it can produce energy.

I agree that some materials are not worth recycling (anything collected by Terracycle is probably a start!)
  • jwil
    Georgiepie wrote: »
    Why do they wrap things like cucumber in plastic.
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Cucumbers and their shrink-wrap have been all over the media.

Significant increase in shelf life: reduces food waste during transportation, in the store AND in the home. SIngle person households notice the shorter life more than families.

Inane Anita briefly mentioned that some plastic packaging is important for shelf life, but completely failed to inform watchers as to which fruit and vegetables.

This ^^

Food waste has a much higher environmental impact than plastic. The rush to get rid of plastic on everything could have unintended consequences which are far more harmful - more food waste, more emissions from transporting heavier and bulkier packaging (glass)

If we all start replacing plastic with paper and cardboard items, can we cope with the demand for wood? Or are we going to increase deforestation?

Interesting thread. But single use plastic is not bad.

Plastic bottles are much lighter than glass, and therfore reduce the amount of fuel required to transport liquids.

Single use plastic bags are better than single use paper bags for similar reasons. Bags have to be delivered to retailers. The lorry delivering the bags can carry far more plastic bags than paper ones, and they weigh less. And less energy is used in their manufacture.

Plastic packaging extends shelflife and reduces food waste.

The problem with single use plastics is that we are not disposing of them properly, and councils have been encouraged to attempt to recycle materials which can't be recycled easily and for which there is no demand / end market.

We should only be trying to recycle plastic bottles, almost all of which are type 1 or 2 (PET or HDPE). Other single use plastics should go into residual waste and be incinerated with energy recovery (generate electricity and capture the heat for communal heating systems and hot water). We should be incorporating small scale incinerators in residential areas, reducing the energy wasted in collecting waste from our homes and transporting it to a disposal facility.

I agree.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I can understand why people use disposable nappies.I used to hate washing cloth nappies.
  • never_too_old
    never_too_old Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Evening all
    I haven't quite caught up so i apologise if this has already been said.
    Like many i am concerned about waste in general.... it scares me that by 2050 there is likely to be more plastic in the sea than fish.I understand that banning all plastic isn't the answer as its lighter to transport plastic than paper but we have to start somewhere.
    Whilst on my mission to reduce and recycle i came across Terracycle and a lovely local lady that goes to a lot of effort to collect loads of different items that wouldn't normally be recycled but they take them back and transform them into many different items and the collectors raise money for charity in my local area a Primary school.
    Items include crisp packets, chocolate wrappers. coffee pods.List is endless.
    With my non recyclable plastic i take it back to Morrisons every few weeks( i am assured by the store manager this does get sorted and doesn't go into landfill which i do hope is true)

Lastly along with all recycling my council collects food waste which is amazing as i now have hardly any landfill rubbish.:D
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • I still use the real nappies I had for my sons. They are now late 20's.
    They are great cloths, very absorbent. A couple of then I've hardly used as keeping them for when the others wear out. Doesn't look as if it's happening any time soon.

The plastic windows in envelopes really annoy me. I shred the envelopes but have to pull the plastic out first and then the plastic can't be recycled.

Do you think it may be time to think about potty training your sons?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback