* Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    3forholidays that's still nearly a book a month, which is pretty good going. Know mean about screen time, still prob no worse than reading a book under the bed covers by torchlight as I used to do as a child :o
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Hurrah, Mojo working. Fully agree, lets chat and challenge. As most of you know, l am another who loves to garden. Currently nursing 129 trays of bedding plants, 24-40 plants per tray. Mostly grown from seed. This is the time of year when l am happiest second to Christmas. The good weather means l have been able to sort out the 2 biggest borders in the garden ready for re-planting. DGS always cuts my grass. Speaking of him, it is his GCSE year and the 'real thing' kicks off in 3 weeks time. Bless, he thinks he should revise 'about a week before hand'. We have had serious discussions aka major barneys. l am off to to Newcastle this afternoon to take my friend for her back surgery tomorrow. We are having to stay overnight as she has to be there by 8 am.
    DD should have had her stairlift installed last week, but the chair kept falling off the track due to the bends on it, so it has had to go back for design tweaking, another 2-3 weeks, so not too bad.
    She has an appointment on Monday for her sleep apnoea check, its a 2 hour drive each way, on poor roads so we aren't looking forward to the journey, but it is a necessary evil.
    With all this and other stuff going on a self care challenge is right up my street.
    l love thrillers and murder mysteries and am very lucky in that another dear friend does too, and she buys and reads then passes on to me. She only reads a book once, so when l have read it it gets passed on to DD, Dn, Fave cos, DDs friend, then it gets taken to the local hospital bookcase for sale at 50p to help the physio dept. And as we use that a lot it feels like we are contributing a bit.
    Sorry this is so long, feel free to missout any bits that bore you,but you cant deny l can chat to Olympic standards. xxx
  • Guilty. I am another one who pops in to read but little to report.
    I thought everything was calming down here, builders had given things a break and I was starting to get back to normality then my mum is told she has cancer. She may have five months or maybe a little more. So now she is trying to sort her affairs like possible house selling and moving in with me and ds. So builders are back putting in french doors in my bedroom and completely vamping it up as a surprise for my mum. She can have my room with the doors open to the garden through the summer and hopefully longer. I’m now looking for a comfortable sofa bed for me. It never rains unless it pours.
    At least it was the last job to be done brought forward. I was happy to leave my room shabby as it was not a necessity but I must admit it has given me something I focus on whilst everything around is a shambles.
    Lovely to see you back Vulpix and sorry to see you leaving Chrissy. My fb was being constantly hacked to could not chat there. My IG is still standing though

Love and hugs to all that need them and I will be back on here more. I promise xx
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Yay,so nice to hear from everyone,I have missed you all.

I have started to feel better the past couple of months and have smartened myself up a bit.Wearing a spot of makeup and jewellery,plus wearing smarter clothes and tbh even getting dressed has been epic at times.

I don't watch a lot of telly either and always have a project on though it is only recently that i have felt like it.Murie when you have run out of stuff to do at your house you are welcome to come here.There is not a door frame in the house or wall that I have not reduced to matchsticks with the wheel chairs.1 upstairs,1 down.I have had plenty of time to sit and look at cobwebs and all the decorating that needs doing.

I started to paint some old drawers that I bought but I had the paint mixed and it isnt the colour I thought it would be.Am very loathe to have some more mixed at £20 a time for some old drawers which I will get rid of shortly knowing me.I think tomorrow is earmarked to finish them.

I have also half hand sewn a quilt for my friend with some laura Ashley lilly of the valley fabric.It is going to be lovely.so fresh looking in whites and greens.I haven't been to craft club as there are so many steps to the building.I can now however weight bear a bit with crutches so when I am a little less dangerous with them I could go back.

Mrs I you are always so busy and the backbone of your family and friends.That's what it's all about really to me.Being the best I can be and the relationships with people.DD2 is resitting her maths GCSE soon in the hope of a better mark. Good luck for DGS.I hope he isn't putting himself under too much pressure.DD2 certainly isn't!lol.

I hinted ages ago that there may be a big change ahead for us and a move to Lincolnshire.Still may/may not happen.Will find out in June.I have spent many sleepless nights working on this and now the application process for that is complete I am turning my attentions to rightmove and spend all night knocking down walls and building gardens!

I think my task for May is going to be hairdye,shave legs and wear smarter clothes.
     :
  • She has an appointment on Monday for her sleep apnoea check, its a 2 hour drive each way, on poor roads so we aren't looking forward to the journey, but it is a necessary evil.

Just skimming through at mo, will read properly later, but this caught my eye. Is this a regular appointment or initial to establish if there is a problem? If if it is an initial appointment, beware of what could happen. I had to go for an assessment, there were about 10 of us being assessed, in that we were given an oxygen monitoring device to wear that night but that we needed to return next morning. This came as a shock to everyone, I was ok as hospital not too far, but some had to rapidly arrange to have the next morning off work at very short notice due to travel distance, so for you a 4 hour round trip the next morning may not be the best of news.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2019 at 2:18PM
    Mrs I- you are one in a million, you certainly need to take up the self care challenge with all your running around/support/ chauffeuring duties for others x.
    Blimey - that is a LOT of plants to provide TLC for. Thats a good point that GTQ makes as my Uncle was in the same situation and had to go back the next day. Worth a phone call to check.

GIYD- sorry to hear your moms news. Words never seem enough in these situations, but know that we are here when you want to 'have a drop in and chat' moment of 'Normality' x.

Vulpix- thats the point- I never get to the point where I have nothing to do in this house (and we've lived here over 30 years!), the wheels of change are constantly turning in my mind. (Some -DH for one- might call me obsessive, but I know Im not:laugh:). I recently painted the chimney breast in our bedroom navy (navy white and grey) but the navy isn't what I want- its not a rich or dark enough blue so after 4 coats of paint I am in search of a more 'Navy' navy.
    Ooh your plans sound intriguing, something to get your teeth into and focus on is a good thing when you have enforced inactivity. Welcome to the world of smooth legs:rotfl::rotfl:

Well today didn't start out the way I planned. I had an emergency phone call, Mom had fallen out of bed. She turned over and didn't realise how close she was to the edge of the bed and rolled off! She put her foot down to stop herself and mashed up the end of her toe- toenail at right angles to her foot and blood everywhere. Hospital dash and 7 hours later, multiple Xrays and a few stitches and finally Im home. No idea what to do for tea as what I was planning will take too long to cook now. (Ive also got a massive headache as the hospital so was hot and stuffy).
    BUT on a positive note DD rang me to say she has been matched on the DKMS register (stem cell donation)! We only signed up for it (me and kids as DH is past his sell by date) in January and to be told that she is a match for someone is so wonderful. She has to go and have more blood tests next week and then its a waiting game while she has assessments and the patient's Drs decide which would be the best method of donation. Im proud of her (and her cells lol).
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Bloomin eck Murie,sure your Mum is feeling better now she is back home.xx

My problem is navy paint that isnt navy enough too! I have mixed in half a pot of black enamel paint. Might have to chuck it all out yet.

Went to Sheffield yesterday for physio.Had to go to some great chazzers near my daughters.In the interest of the challenge I bought some Ann Harvey black linnen trousers a blue M&S top and a pilgrim necklace and earings set in box for £11.Also got hair dye,blonde tones.Operation cheer up begins.

I am home alone today.Will see if the paint is useable,try to make an evening meal then sit and start some knitting.This is a huge amount for me of recent times.I am pleased that I feel like doing anything.

Take care Vx
     :
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Vulpix- yup- she certainly prefers being at home to being in A&E! She sent me a pic this morning and its not a pretty sight although miles better than yesterday.

Why isn't Navy navy?? !! its frustrating the living daylights out of me for sure.
    Blimey- that was a fab haul after your physio! Was it £11 for everything or just the necklace set- either way it you've found some bargains! You've definitely got all the building blocks together for "Operation Cheer Up' - the most important one being actually wanting to do it xx.

Date Night tonight for us, so Ive got to do something about making myself presentable too- although I'm not too sure that one day is going to be long enough for that mammoth task :rotfl:
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • Blimey I can’t keep up with you all now! :rotfl: Glad to see the chatter back though. Whenever we go back to where I’m from we stay in a converted barn on a farm as my mum and dad live in a tiny bungalow and it’s a bit too small for anything longer than a night or two, this year we are due to spend Christmas with my family so we’ve booked Christmas at the farm! I haven’t been back home for Christmas since before I had children, so about 6 years. My parents have been coming to us but my dad’s mobility is really poor now so we’re going to them. I’m really excited, we’ve stayed on the farm about 5 times now so it’s like a home from home, but it will be a bit strange as I’ve only ever spent Christmas at home or at a parents house. They provide a 7ft Christmas tree though so I’m happy!

In terms of self care i'm going to have a bath tonight. I love baths but am guilty of just flaking out on the sofa and not bothering which doesn't make me feel better. So i'm going to have a nice bath with my magazine and candle then flake out afterwards! :D

murie I know that you mean, for me it’s just because life has taken over at the moment with various people’s health issues and sometimes I just feel like I don’t have a minute in the day! I still love this thread though and will try harder to get on. Sorry to hear about your mum, that must have been a bit of a shock for her bless her.

nic I like your self care suggestions.

kerri sorry to hear you’ve had a bereavement, I hope you are all ok now. x

3forholidays ooh I love Norfolk, sounds great. We just had a week on a farm near my parents and we’ve booked to stay there at Christmas.

vulpix wow decluttering and you’ve made that much?? I’ve been decluttering for months now and it feels good, I haven’t made that much money though! :p Sorry to hear you are wheelchair bound but I am so glad to hear you are feeling a bit more like yourself now.

GIYD I’m so very sorry to hear about your mum, what a lovely idea giving her the room with doors into the garden. Sending lots of hugs and I hope you find a nice comfy sofa bed. xx

Sorry if i've missed anything important, I had to skim read in the end as i'm running out of time!
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks Murie, I’m really proud of her. Proud of both girls getting up and competing almost every weekend. But epecially eldest for trying her best in this big comp coming up. Of course I’m proud of my DS too, just for being awesome :D
    She is getting on better at school, thanks for asking. She has found some new friends. But the school deal with the issues. So it helped straight away.

GIAYD, so sorry to hear about your mum, sounds like you are doing some lovely things to make the next few months as nice as possible for her.

Thank crunchie it’s Friday. Work has been hard this week. I’m shattered. Looking forward to a glass of wine and a curry tonight as a treat.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport