Esta for USA without USA address

I wanted to get my Esta early but one of the on line questions is what is your contact address in the USA. I presume this means the hotel you’ll be staying at, but we haven’t decided yet (in fact we haven’t even decided on the itinerary yet). Anyone know how to fill in the box in those circumstances? Would ‘don’t know yet’ get through?

Comments

• Diddidi
    Diddidi Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can change hotel details on your ESTA right up to the last minute online. Could you book a hotel for first night or two with full cancellation, put that on the ESTA application and then just update the details once you have the final hotel info?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    US immigration are not keen on vague answers, and even less happy with non-answers. Either wait until you have decided where you are going to stay, or do as suggested above and book somewhere which has free cancellation.
  • Whenever we have gone to America the ESTA address has been updated when we check in at the airport.
    Unless the ESTA application has changed you could leave that part blank.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We usually tour & don't know where we're going until we get there. We just put down any hotel near the airport.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As above, enter the name of any hotel at your destination, whether you actually have a booking yet is not being checked.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • maisie06
    maisie06 Posts: 72 Forumite
    We stayed in a villa so we just put the management company's address in on the form....I would do as others have said and use the name of an airport hotel.
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    I did mine last week and it says on the form that you can just put 'UNKNOWN' in those fields, we did that and all went through fine within a couple of hours :)
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    eDicky wrote: »
    As above, enter the name of any hotel at your destination, whether you actually have a booking yet is not being checked.

Just make sure that you put the full address including zip code of the hotel not just the name. I once got held up by a jobsworth at immigration as I had just put something like "Airport Hilton Hotel"
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I just used a random hostel in LA as that's where I was flying into but wasn't ready to actually make a reservation at that point.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 August 2019 at 9:03AM
    I just put ‘unknown’ when I did mine a few months ago and never got asked any more about it either at Heathrow, or on landing in the US. I didn’t even think about updating it as I haven’t bothered before on previous visits and have never had a problem.
    Although I’ve visited the USA many times, this was the first ESTA on a new passport after changing my name, but that didn’t appear to make any difference.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business