NPower

Hi, I’m looking for some advice on my fixed tariff from NPower. I rang them to renew & they gave me a price that was £20 cheaper per month than I was on originally. I took this offer & it’s all been accepted. However, I called them to see if my account was in credit or debit & I was told that my acct was in credit by over £200! When I asked for that to be refunded, I was told that that was how they’d gotten my monthly payments so low! No one told me any of this when I agreed to the next fixed year & im not sure what to do - surely they must have to refund that money, not keep it & reduce my payments? I was quite happy paying £30 a fortnight but they say if they refund the money I’ll only get roughly £10 back as my energy price will got through the roof!

I’d appreciate any help with this as I feel completely ripped off & they’re not being transparent in the renewal of my contract with them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Blackjynx wrote: »
    Hi, I’m looking for some advice on my fixed tariff from NPower. I rang them to renew & they gave me a price that was £20 cheaper per month than I was on originally. I took this offer & it’s all been accepted. However, I called them to see if my account was in credit or debit & I was told that my acct was in credit by over £200! When I asked for that to be refunded, I was told that that was how they’d gotten my monthly payments so low! No one told me any of this when I agreed to the next fixed year & im not sure what to do - surely they must have to refund that money, not keep it & reduce my payments? I was quite happy paying £30 a fortnight but they say if they refund the money I’ll only get roughly £10 back as my energy price will got through the roof!

I’d appreciate any help with this as I feel completely ripped off & they’re not being transparent in the renewal of my contract with them.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Blackjynx,

Thank you for your post. One of the team will be happy to look into your account and your usage/payments for you.

Please email us your details to the address on our profile page.

Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • DawnCrush
    DawnCrush Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 August 2019 at 6:15AM
    Blackjynx wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure why your account balance would have come as any surprise - it will be shown on every statement you receive.

If you wish to have any credit balance returned, you can request it; it is your money afterall.
    But be aware that a refund of any credit certainly can result in an increase in the monthly amount requested by the supplier via direct debit.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/

Remember that any amount collected monthly by direct debit is simply credited to your account as any statement will indicate. It will be used to offset whatever you are charged according to the tariff agreed.

I do not understand your comment that your "energy price will got through the roof" if you request a refund of your account credit; the cost of your energy does not change with what your monthly payment or account balance is - the cost is based on your tariff and what you consume.

When you were offered a new tariff, I am sure you would have been provided full details of the tariff offered including unit charge(s) and daily standing charge. I'm not sure how more transparant any supplier can be than that.

The following MSE article advises how to get yourself a cheap energy deal.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I don't understand why anyone would make a purchase decision without asking the cost of the new tariff and comparing it with the existing deal?

Direct debits can be set at any random figure which could create a debit, credit or zero balance. But the PRICE is what affects the cost, so that's what you need to check
  • Following is my complaint to NPower Business.
    It has not been resolved satisfactorily and I am still unable to log in to the a/c at 17/2/2020.
    My advice to any one contemplating using NPower Business gas is * DO NOT *
    My question to MSE subscribers is
    HAVE YOU HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS ?
    -------------------------------------
    Dear NPower
    Re      NPower Gas contract a/c XXXXXXXXX
     I write as director of client company ABC Management Ltd.
    ABC Management Ltd signed a supply contract with NPower on 25/1/19

This is a letter of complaint about NPower's management procedures and website. It is written in
    accordance with your published complaints procedure  "Putting things right" . 
    (Within your business site.your published complaints procedure is not apparent   I had to resort
    to google to find it.  I trust its lack of visibility meets Ofgem's requirements)

www.npower.com,help-and-support -contact-us,complaints,annual-complaints-report

Our complaints are described by the numerated headings following

1.  Difficulty of getting 2nd authority on the account

ABC Management Ltd is the landlord of a block of flats.  We employ managing agents
    DEF Management Ltd (false name) to make payments on our behalf. 

I have make four requests attempting to get our managing agents authority on the account

i.  6 March 2019 @ 09:40 Email from ABC Management Ltd to business.enquiries@npower.com
          instructing NPower to add DEF Management Ltd as authority on the a/c.  Attached
          to the mail was the contract ABC Management signed with NPower on 25th Jan 2019 which
         carried my signature as a director of ABC Management Ltd
    ii.  12 July 2019    @ 8:40   mail to naadirah.shaik@npower.com  replicating the mail of 6 March 2019.
    iii   Oct 16 2019    By phone to Misha in Customer service (0330 100 8100) requesting DEF be added
         as authority on the a/c.      The reference number for my call to Misha is xxxxxxxxx (
    iv   23 jan 2020 by mail to Jodie Adriaanse, jodie.adriaanse@npower.com requesting DEF be added
         as authority on the a/c and accompanied by our NPower contract bearing my signature. 

2.  a.  NPower have failed to countersigned our contract,
         b.  Npower only provided the promised Vat declaration form many months after our request,
         c.  NPower only acknowledged/implemented the correct vat rate at least 6 weeks after
              submission and only after further prompting. 

The gas supply to residential premises XXX is for communal heating and hot water
    and qualifies for VAT at 5%.  Initially we were charged at 20%. 

On 6th March at 9:40 I, as client, mailed business.enquiries@npower.com  stating :-

"At this date I have received no countersigned contract and no Welcome Pack.
    Without the welcome pack I have no a/c no. and no PP10 and PP11 required
    to obtain gas at 5% VAT.".

We only received the vat declaration form on 30 July @ 12:32am from Zaitoon Ely Customer Service
    Advisor.  This was completed and returned the same day to business.queries@npower.com. 
    Despite this our managing agents had to remonstrate with NPower on the 15th Oct regarding the
    rate which was still 20%. (see email correspondence between DEF and NPower below - Not included in this MSE post).

3. Online Access consistently Fails

I, as client, registered for online access on or before 17/08/19.  A password was chosen to comply
    with the NPowers requirements of at least one letter or symbol, at least one number and is between
    7 and 20 characters long.  To avoid errors this password was recorded.  Despite entering our email
    and password with care I have only ever received the error message
    "Oops, we don't recognise those details, Please check and try again".

Two attempts on different dates to reset the password by bugging "forgotten your password" did
    not generate the promised emails with temporary passwords.  On both occasions the temporary
    passwords were only received after phone requests to customer services.  The 1st temporary password
    also failed (see attached screenshot NPower_LogIn_Fail_170120.jpg). 

Customer support informed us that we could reregister for online access.  This also fails as your site
    claims it does not recognise our a/c number (see attached screenshot Reregisterfailure.jpg).
    Yours disgrunted

John XXXXXX

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family