PPI Newbie

I am a little ashamed to admit to being a PPI newbie and just realised there are timescales involved. I am expecting the usual derogatory comments from those in the know thinking its all a little last minute but hopefully something constructive pops up too.

I am not really interested in getting any money back for myself it is for my parents, grandmother and sister that I have volunteered to look into if there is still time to do anything. They have all had multiple credit cards, loans, bank accounts, store cards, mortgages etc and so on.

The main problem is that I don't have details of any accounts from them and given the timescales will not get this. I have a rough list of banks and credit cards etc they may have had in the last 10 years say. I know I can do a free credit check to get some more names.

What is the best approach given the timescale that I can maximise the chance of getting them some return - is there a template letter I can just send out en masse to all providers and they will do the checking to see if an account existed in their name and if anything is due back OR is there an external company that will take a % that given the timescale it would be better to just ask them to do the legwork and give over some of the personal details for each person? I wouldn't think there is enough time to take the detailed approach and find account numbers, contact banks etc and then fill out claim forms it needs to be a more blanket approach I would think.

I can get access to print template letters en masse and post them out or I don't mind giving up a % to external company to do the legwork.

Again expecting the usual why are you only asking now comments but it is what it is and either they get back what is due to them or we don't make any effort and the banks get away with it. In an ideal world we would have done it a while back and give the due care and attention but other things take over sometimes.

I am aiming to do what I can tomorrow so any comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• The FCA website is very good and has a host of links to bank PPI enquiry forms etc.
    https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/how-to-check
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    83dons wrote: »
    I am aiming to do what I can tomorrow
    It's now thirteen days since your last thread about this and you were already very late then:eek:

The answers given on your last thread are the same today;
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6033568
    I have a rough list of banks and credit cards etc they may have had in the last 10 years say. I know I can do a free credit check to get some more names.
    Banks stopped retailing PPI on loans and credit cards in 2009, so a free credit check is unlikely to help given it only goes back six years.
    is there an external company that will take a % that given the timescale it would be better to just ask them to do the legwork?
    There are plenty of third party companies who will be only too happy to post any complaints you might make and take around a quarter (including VAT) of any redress you might be awarded. They don't do any "legwork" though, you have to supply details of your finances to them.
  • it is what it is and either they get back what is due to them or we don't make any effort and the banks get away with it
    Did any actually have PPI policies, and if so, how were they mis-sold?
  • The FCA website is very good and has a host of links to bank PPI enquiry forms etc.
    SIZE="1"]As a newbie I had to take out the quoted link[/SIZE

We've just seriously started looking into it (a whole host of other life craziness has been happening and been more urgent) and the FCA website is brilliant - the vast majority of them have links to online checkers, which often only require your name, DOB, address, and any address if you lived elsewhere while you may have had any policies. Most of them clearly say they'll escalate it to a claim automatically if they find you did have PPI with them. Cannot recommend this website highly enough!
  • 83dons
    83dons Posts: 86 Forumite
    Thanks for the first and last posts there. I will check the website out today.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I will check the website out today.
    So, another two days gone with no complaint sent? The clock is ticking....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure