Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 521Posts
    • 3,553Thanks
    Betterthanever
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5!
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5! 1st Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi! I'm a re-joining member of old.....and whilst I'm reluctant to give up my previous 10,000 post count, I also don't fancy ex husband following my every move as I go into this next exciting chapter of life! I was a DFW stalwart for years, but am pleased to announce am on the MFW journey....with vigour

I've not been on the boards for a while but it's lovely to see some familiar names and it's comforting having made the decision to come back!

I'm mid 40s, kids are grown up and more or less independent (one just moved out and one still creating mess at home). I'm lucky enough to have met a fabulous man who was mad enough to marry me a couple of years ago, and life is just the best.

The house is mine as I bought ex-h out in the divorce, which means the mortgage is also mine. We have plans and desires to start reducing our working stresses in 5 years time and oh can start drawing his lump sum and his pension then if he wishes. As we both lost out dads at 55, we are mindful of the fact we are not here forever. On the other hand we are fit and healthy so would hope to have a good few years to enjoy life ahead of us.

We love to spend time together and travel and want to do more of this without being tied into 5 weeks annual leave allowance!

So....all this starts with the fact my fixed rate comes to an end soon. I can switch on 31st October. The remaining term should be 11 years but I've done my calculations and reckon if I take a 5 year fixed rate, I can finish it off when that comes to an end....taking me to 52 and OH to 56 so still plenty of years ahead of us for living!

My starting point is a current mortgage figure of 116,879.11. It's no small challenge but I'm no stranger to that and I'm going to enjoy this one an awful lot

I feel like I've come home.....
    Last edited by Betterthanever; 03-11-2017 at 8:45 AM.
Page 23
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 24th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Happy Christmas Eve everyone.

DH is at work today and DS & DD are off to their dad's for a few hours so that gives me an opportunity to whizz through the house, get the ironing done, and prep as much of the next few days' worth of food as I can - red cabbage to get simmering, dauphinois potatoes to do, and a gammon to roast etc.

I'm fairly close to requesting another 5 from sb so hoping I can fit in that today as well, but won't stress about it if I can't - it will happen over the next day or so, I'm sure.

But first - off to the gym - I'm feeling in need of getting back into my routine. My broken hip is now repaired enough to make a real start - until now I have not had the confidence to do so (I broke it by over training, so it has messed with my head a bit as well as with my body) but I now feel too fluffy and squidgy for my liking, and so am taking control. I don't do new year's resolutions as I believe we can take control and make changes any day of the year - and today is that day for me. OK, so it will be offset by the mahoosive amount of food we have over the next couple of days, but hey ho - I am not prepared to wait any longer.....although I will be taking it very carefully and not being silly - I don't want to be back at square one, and I hope I have learned to listen to my body and accept that I am not 27 any more.....

Have a good one, whatever you do - happy festivities, quiet times, or whatever you plan on doing. xx

Current balance 112,593.71. Offset 2,677.73. 109,951.98 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22 - 2018 O/pay 600
    Make 2018 in 2018 = 406.75/2018
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 27th Dec 17, 8:08 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    And that's it - been and gone. Back in the office today and trying to get back to some sort of "normal".....I hope everyone had a good Christmas. Ours was quite quiet, really. Still, I have spent too much, eaten too much, moved too little, and generally done all the things we usually do over Christmas, and now I want to regain some sort of control. I did go to the gym on Christmas eve, and have my gym bag packed and in the car ready to go after work today, so I'm on my way.

Financially, we always spend more at Christmas than we plan to - not so much on presents this year, but on food, much of which was unnecessary and, quite frankly by some, unappreciated, so I have learned that for next year. Still, we have plenty to see us through the next few days without needing to do any shopping, and I will be meal planning with a vengeance over the next day or so - using what I have to make lunches for the freezer and trying not to scoff all the yummy goodies stuff in one sitting....

I'm therefore working on NSD's from hereon.....

I requested 5 from SB on Christmas eve - as you'd expect I've not done much of that sort of thing over the last couple of days, so will get back onto that too.....half way to the next one, and also half way to one on Instagc too, so they should be doable by the weekend.

Happy "neither here nor there" time!

Current balance 112,593.71. Offset 2,677.73. 109,951.98 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 27th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 28,973 Posts
    • 164,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You're on your way again, betterthan and now that my nephew has faffed about with my phone, so am I

Interesting about the food - we don't generally meal plan at Christmas, wanting to be generous and have plenty, but maybe a *little* bit wouldn't be amiss?

Enjoy the gym!
    Retired August 2016
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 27,374 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I definitely need to learn foodwise too - I think I've got the main meal sorted, just a bit of turkey spare (which I wanted for sandwiches) and some veg, but that was dead cheap anyway. The problem is I always cater for loads of buffet food for the evening, and we literally just have a mince pie and a cup of tea. I have homemade coleslaw, a whole gammon, loads of salad, bags and bags of kettle chips, pretzels, tonnes of fizzy drinks, boxes of biscuits, crackers for cheese etc. Lots of it will keep and will be eaten up during January, but there are definitely lessons to be learned for next year
    Mortgage Total: 75,000 72,249 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: 11,594 / 30,000
    2018 Fund 234
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 27th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 4,194 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    It's great that you managed to go to the gym right up until Christmas. Much easier to get back into it if the break wasn't so small.

Mortgage- 415,749
    BTL- 162,915

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 27th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I used to be a 5 times a week gym rat until May when I fractured my hip, so this really is a slow and sensible (ish) move back into it! DD's bf was in the gym on Christmas Day - even if my gym was open, I don't think I would be heading there!

• squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 27th Dec 17, 12:04 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Gyms are scary!! I just hate exercise...doesn't matter what it is, I just hate it! Used to love it when I was younger but that was some time ago impressed by those who can motivate themselves to do it though and I'm glad that you can manage it now...broken hip is deeply unpleasant

Good luck with theverything meal planning...I've done my first week based on the fresh stuff being used up first - thankfully I did incredibly well on quantities this year (which is an absolute first!!) so minimum amount to recycle

hope work is okay!!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 2161/15000; Mortgage - 300/19000 ; Jan Spends: Food 93.52/300; Petrol 0/300; Persie 0/ 300
    MFW No. 167 300/ 15000
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 27th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Work's ok - quite quiet really.

And the weather is very good for the NSD mission - I certainly do not want to set foot outside if I don't need to, so no sales shopping temptation. I shall do a couple of surveys whilst eating my leftovers lunch.....and will start on that meal plan for the next few days! It will be jacket potatoes this evening - easy, filling and cheap!

I love exercise - or is it that I love the effects of it? Either way, I have missed it and am looking forward to getting back into it properly. I won't be able to run for a while, and certainly not the distances I would like, but hey ho.....

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 30th Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    And we are almost at the end of the year.....I expect, like me, you have all been reviewing your goals, achievements and "could do betters" of 2017 and looking to see what you can do in 2018!

I've been trying to work some goals out but they need to be fairly fluid in order that they fit in with all the changes that are going to be happening next year, which cannot yet be fully quantifiable in terms of timescale (new house) and finances (new job and new mortgage). So, at this stage it is more of a rambling list.....here goes:

Finances
    - Be careful with money for the first 3 months of 2018, aim for NSDs where possible, meal plan and use up storecupboard supplies (also helps with "organisation and decluttering" goals)
    - Join the "Make 2018 in 2018" challenge on the "boost your income" board
    - Re-visit matched betting (never got round to it before)
    - Make more use of cashback and coupon sites
    - Save and overpay where sensible, given changes in job/house (original plans to overpay as much as possible may need to be split between overpay and savings towards costs)
    - Make more of survey sites and decide which are not worth keeping.
    - Keep budgets adjusted as changes become known in income and outgoings.
    - don't fret. Things are never going to be as bad as they used to be.

Health
    - Keep up recovery from fracture. Exercise with caution, building up steadily.
    - walk more at lunchtime again - good for physical health and headclearing
    - make more of fitbit challenges
    - Keep eating properly (this is relatively new for me, only since I met DH), enjoy food and mealtimes without going off the rails. Maintain my current healthy weight and outlook.

Organisation and decluttering
    - clear out email inbox regularly - at least twice a week
    - continue working through supplies of toiletries etc
    - Clear out "tired" work clothes before starting amazing new job in amazing new clothes.
    - be more ruthless.....no need to move anything to the new house that hasn't been used in the last year or so,
    - make use of ebay/ziffit etc where appropriate
    - keep financial diary up to date
    - keep dates and tasks diary up to date
    - deep clean once a month
    - keep up to date with ironing (those who followed my diary in years gone by will know that this has been a big turnaround for me!!).
    -get house and garden ready for sale and ultimate move

Living
    - keep enjoying life
    - Smile, giggle and laugh, love
    - appreciate what I have and who I have
    - visit one new place or do one new thing each month

That's about it for now - I am sure there will be more I think of but, of course, I'll just update on my diary as I go along!

Happy new year, and may 2018 be good for all of you in as many ways as are possible!

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 28,973 Posts
    • 164,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lovely!

Especially the decluttering, weirdly - the more I do, the more the house becomes *mine*, instead of "what I have around me". And so, the better it feels to be here

All the very best to you and yours for 2018, betterthanever
    Retired August 2016
    • MatyMoo
    • By MatyMoo 30th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 13,013 Thanks
    MatyMoo
    Fell across your thread by accident & within a few posts realised who you are

Have read all the way through over the last week or so & you are as focussed, and ingenious, as ever. Good to see the lovely changes in your personal life have continued too

Now, will part of the decluttering include a certain tinned vegetable from the store cupboard
    Proud Member of Mike's Mob
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 52,709 Posts
    • 207,016 Thanks
    beanielou
    Had forgotten about that certain tin
    Not sure how though
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 30th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Hi Matymoo!! I shall confess that said tin was ceremoniously disposed of when DH moved in....end of an era and all that (plus, at that stage he didn't know the extent of my previous debt and I thought the tin would have scared him off!!!)

It is still spoken of fondly by me and Pania when we catch up.....it will always have a special place in my heart haha!!

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 30th Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    In non-sprout news......

finances
    - have had a nsd.

health
    - went spinning for the first time since I broke my hip. Was very careful and very happy to have done the full class (with modification when needed)

organisation etc
    - ironing is up to date
    - Tupperware and casserole cupboard has been decluttered. All odd lids disposed of etc and order gained. This was escalated in priority as I had an avalanche and broke two serving dishes....only old odd ones but even so, I didn't mean to declutter in that manner!
    -meal plan for next week has been done

• MatyMoo
    • By MatyMoo 30th Dec 17, 6:02 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 13,013 Thanks
    MatyMoo
    Had forgotten about that certain tin
    Not sure how though
    Originally posted by beanielou
    How could you

Hi Matymoo!! I shall confess that said tin was ceremoniously disposed of when DH moved in....end of an era and all that (plus, at that stage he didn't know the extent of my previous debt and I thought the tin would have scared him off!!!)

It is still spoken of fondly by me and Pania when we catch up.....it will always have a special place in my heart haha!!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    I think that was a perfect time to get rid.........to me, it always stayed as a sign of desperate times & they were no more Besides, they must have been way past their sell by date
    Proud Member of Mike's Mob
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 30th Dec 17, 8:17 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    They were certainly "symbolic", that much is certain!

• missvivienne
    • By missvivienne 30th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    missvivienne
    I have just read the whole of this thread!! You are amazing and have achieved so much in such a short space of time. It seems like swagbucks is one of your main sources of income - i joined in Nov and was fairly happy with cashing out 5 each week, but you are managing to do this every couple of days! I had no idea you could do the videos twice a day - just thought it was once! But my gosh those 40 second ads theyve introduced have slowed thing right down... it really has put me off at the moment. So ive just been trying to get as many surveys as possible to substitute the videos.
    What is instagc??? Ive not of that one? infact ive just been through and installed so many apps, Shopmium, Shopalong, attapoll, Qmee & shoppix to name a few. Are they all worth it? If you had to name your top 5 apps which would you choose?
    will be suscribing so i can follow your progress!
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 30th Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Hello MissV! The swagbucks videos are indeed frustrating, but they will hopefully diminish again soon and we can get a decent pocket of earning potential again! I persevere and am probably getting 10 -15 a week from it at the moment. Instagc is similar to swagbucks - offers and surveys and videos but more surveys than just the gold and peanut labs - you do have to grit your teeth while you earn the first 500 points, but once you have done that, it unlocks a whole load of extra earning bits that help the points rack up much quicker - I almost gave up on it when I first started, but persevered, and in December I have withdrawn 25 from it without really doing too much - I certainly haven't used it to its full potential.

Qmee and Attapoll are on my list - along with shoppix and receipt hog, plus Prolific....with swagbucks and instagc, they make up the main ones for me really. I've also used jobspotter, if you happen to be out and about a fair bit.

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 30th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Forgot to say, if you are on facebook, there is a really good group on there which I get loads of ideas from. It is called **uk swagbucks, instagc (and some other stuff)** or something along those lines and is brilliant - do join up!

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 30th Dec 17, 9:14 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Other people get good results from VYPR but it doesn't work on my phone, sadly. Worth a try if you do have it as people report good payouts for little effort.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

2,486Users online

Martin's Twitter