PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New renter snagging list

Options
My daughter and her boyfriend have just moved into a rental apartment. During snagging they encountered several issues. Windows not locking (ground floor apartment). Recessed lights in bathroom not working, hob light not working, all the markings on the oven are completely obliterated and you cannot work out what temperature the oven is set to. The agency sent her a copy of the manual but I have said it is not acceptable and they should either replace the faceplate of the oven or the oven itself.

We owned a second house and fixed anything that was not right, I know we are probably in the minority of reactive landlords but what exactly are her rights. Surely she has a right to an apartment that is secure and a useable oven.
£2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is everything you mentioned in the inventory? I'm thinking ahead when they decide to leave in the future.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 9:51AM
    Options
    Your daughter needs to contact her LL not the agent to request if they are able to rectify the points raised.

The agent is the middle layer and its actually the LL whom makes the decisions on maintenance and whether to give the go ahead for repair/replacement.

In the case of the bulbs, were they listed as working on the original check in inventory?

Throughout the tenancy bulbs are usually the responsibility of the tenant so Its probably something that your daughter should replace in order to use.

However if the bulbs were not working at check in as listed on the inventory she does not need to leave working bulbs in situ when she leaves the property.

If the issue is electrical and changing the bulbs does not work then again she can report it as an issue that could be fixed.
    It may be that the LL does agree to get an electrician to attend and fix although it could be argued that recess lighting is secondary in the bathroom and there is an alternative light source....some LL's will fix others are sloppy.

The hob light is again just a bulb issue,check how listed on inventory, replace as necessary and fit back old bulb when she leaves.

Same with the cooker,the fact that it works is what is technically needed the dials to indicate temperature and the worn markings don't actually stop the cooker functioning it just makes it very difficult to gauge the correct temp.

Frustrating for you daughter but not necessarily a major thing that the LL must fix I'm afraid

The windows might need a little more looking into,whether the locking mechanism has broken or was it a case that no keys have been issued with which to lock and open them?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    kazd wrote: »
    My daughter and her boyfriend have just moved into a rental apartment. During snagging they encountered several issues. Windows not locking (ground floor apartment). Recessed lights in bathroom not working, hob light not working, all the markings on the oven are completely obliterated and you cannot work out what temperature the oven is set to. The agency sent her a copy of the manual but I have said it is not acceptable and they should either replace the faceplate of the oven or the oven itself.

We owned a second house and fixed anything that was not right, I know we are probably in the minority of reactive landlords but what exactly are her rights. Surely she has a right to an apartment that is secure and a useable oven.

Seriously?! A replacement oven because the markings have worn off? How about an oven thermometer for under a fiver and a permanent marker?
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Is this their first time renting?

I'm on my 8th or 9th and things like you mentioned about the oven don't even faze me. I'm just glad if its working at all! Even our current one sounds like it's on the way out and doesn't heat quickly but we make do.

Are there other working lights in the bathroom? Honestly, the only thing I'd mention is the windows not locking. Though in most of my rentals I haven't had a window key and couldn't lock them and never had problems. Just don't leave them open when you leave the house.
    Make sure it's all documented in the inventory.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We owned a second house and fixed anything that was not right, I know we are probably in the minority of ..............

I've yet to meet or hear from a landlord who doesn't think and say they do things right: But guess that some must do....
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options

Well sort of.

Locking windows seems reasonable.

But in terms of oven a landlord must simply provide the facility for food preparation.
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We rented a house for nearly 6 years, in which the oven had no temperature markings. We worked it out by 'eye' and by looking on the Internet for similar models. We love our food and cooking is a great part of our lives; I even made bread (successfully) in it.

The house was perfect, a farm cottage in the countryside, so we didn't 'rock the boat' with the landlord and got on with it.

I agree that ground floor windows should be lockable but really, the oven is workable. As for the hob light ....... get a new bulb!

It seems to me that some tenants need their hands holding 24 hours a day. I pity their landlords.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Options
    I've yet to meet or hear from a landlord who doesn't think and say they do things right: But guess that some must do....

I could show you all the invoices, anything that went wrong was fixed immediately, our initial renters trashed what was a brand new house in three months and then did a moonlight flit. The next tenants were great and we were so happy to have decent tenants we reacted immediately to any issue. We also reduced the rent when one of them lost their job, supposed to have been for three months but we left it at that rate until they left of their own accord. The next tenants were equally as good, improved the house by decorating etc, we eventually decided to sell and again reduced the rent for the inconvenience they had whilst the house was up for sale. There are some good landlords out there. The agents wanted me to put the rent up but I refused, as I told the agency, I had only a 1% increase and in real world pricing we were earning less because of price rises. I was happy to get paid regularly without issue and the house looked after.

• kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Options
    Morbier wrote: »
    We rented a house for nearly 6 years, in which the oven had no temperature markings. We worked it out by 'eye' and by looking on the Internet for similar models. We love our food and cooking is a great part of our lives; I even made bread (successfully) in it.

The house was perfect, a farm cottage in the countryside, so we didn't 'rock the boat' with the landlord and got on with it.

I agree that ground floor windows should be lockable but really, the oven is workable. As for the hob light ....... get a new bulb!

It seems to me that some tenants need their hands holding 24 hours a day. I pity their landlords.

Erm my daughter is 21 and has only ever lived in Uni accom. I haven't ever rented and can only go by my experience of what I would have done in our rental property. The bulbs etc of course will be sorted and we said the same thing. I was just listing the different things in the snag list, the most important for me was the windows followed by the oven.

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    Erm my daughter is 21 and has only ever lived in Uni accom. I haven't ever rented and can only go by my experience of what I would have done in our rental property. The bulbs etc of course will be sorted and we said the same thing. I was just listing the different things in the snag list, the most important for me was the windows followed by the oven.

But you are a landlord, you should be aware of what the minimum is; even if you intend to do much more.

And your daughter being an adult for a full 3 years should be more than capable of looking after herself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure