MPGS - What's it Like??

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I don't understand. You spend most of your service career trying to get out of doing gate guard then get a job doing .......... :o
  • MissKitty
    MissKitty Posts: 89 Forumite
    Jud546 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm also trying to get into the MPGS for the same reasons as cited by the OP. I have had my application in since December and have been pestering my AFCO at least once a month to find out any progress, but kept getting told "no news, you'll just have to wait".
    The last I heard was beginning of April when I rang the AFCO again and he said that my application was with the career manager at Glasgow and was basically told 'don't call us, we'll call you when we hear something'.

With this in mind, does anybody know of a number at Glasgow or elsewhere I can call to check up on my application progress? To be honest I've lost confidence in the AFCO who are supposed to be acting on my behalf.

Cheers.

My husband has now been out of the army 3 weeks, he has been chasing our local army careers office where he applied, but been told he will know as soon as they know. He was told he couldn't start till at least 4 weeks after leaving the army, I think it is something to do with his pension!!

APC Glasgow are not quick at doing anything, a pretty rubbish service for a loyal soldier with 24 years service behind him.

I'm not sure if your allowed to ring Glasgow direct about your application. Good luck anyway.:p
  • MissKitty
    molerat wrote: »
    I don't understand. You spend most of your service career trying to get out of doing gate guard then get a job doing .......... :o

There isn't exactly alot of choice for decent jobs out there at the moment, lots of places have recruitment bans on or are laying people off.

My husband has spent months looking for something decent, there is plenty of jobs about but they are really badly paid. He's not looking to earn a fortune, just something decent so we can pay the bills.

The MPGS is a good steady job till your 55 and has lots of good benefits with it, alot more than some companies are offering.:)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    MissKitty wrote: »
    There isn't exactly alot of choice for decent jobs out there at the moment, lots of places have recruitment bans on or are laying people off.

My husband has spent months looking for something decent, there is plenty of jobs about but they are really badly paid. He's not looking to earn a fortune, just something decent so we can pay the bills.

The MPGS is a good steady job till your 55 and has lots of good benefits with it, alot more than some companies are offering.:)
    I know what you mean and know a couple of people in the job. It just seems ironic that the job is doing something that most service people put a lot of effort over 22 years avoiding :)
  • Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I know what you mean and know a couple of people in the job. It just seems ironic that the job is doing something that most service people put a lot of effort over 22 years avoiding :)

That's very true, but you don't realise how good you have it until you don't. Besides, it's money for old rope for ex military and the rates of pay aren't bad compared to civvy street jobs, not to mention the free medical,dental etc.
  • Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    MissKitty wrote: »
    My husband has now been out of the army 3 weeks, he has been chasing our local army careers office where he applied, but been told he will know as soon as they know. He was told he couldn't start till at least 4 weeks after leaving the army, I think it is something to do with his pension!!

APC Glasgow are not quick at doing anything, a pretty rubbish service for a loyal soldier with 24 years service behind him.

I'm not sure if your allowed to ring Glasgow direct about your application. Good luck anyway.:p

MissKitty,

Your hubby is in the same position as me. I waited the prerequisite period due to pensions etc but am still waiting. I agree that you're probably right about not being allowed to contact Glasgow, but being faced (no doubt like many others) with a disinterested AFCO, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options to gain help or advice anywhere else.

Good luck with his application too.
  • MissKitty

I have friends that complain alot about their hubbies being in the army and I know there is alot of down sides, like when their away alot, but it also has alot of good sides too.

Now we're on the other side I can tell them about our experiences and I remind them that unless their hubbies are qualified to the neck and can walk into a good job straight away, there is no way they will be getting the same pay on civvy street as in the army.

It has made us realise that if you work hard and make your way up the ranks you actualy get a decent wage and good benefits, something that being on civvy street doesn't provide. There is no way you could rent a decent house on civvy street for the same price as an army quarter.

I tell all my friends save as much as you can while your getting it good and plan for the future, as the army wont look after you forever. We bought our house 4 years ago and we're really settled,:j it was the best move we ever made. It took some of the stress away when my hubby left as you have enough to think about without house hunting.
  • MissKitty
    Jud546 wrote: »
    MissKitty,

Your hubby is in the same position as me. I waited the prerequisite period due to pensions etc but am still waiting. I agree that you're probably right about not being allowed to contact Glasgow, but being faced (no doubt like many others) with a disinterested AFCO, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options to gain help or advice anywhere else.

Good luck with his application too.

Thank you Jud546

I have the feeling we will be waiting a while too. My husband is doing agency work at the moment, the pay is rubbish but at the end of the day we are grateful he has a job and it is local.

The only problem with agency work is it stops you from doing certain things. Our mortgage deal has just come to an end and we could get a better deal with another bank but I know they wont be interested as his job isn't permanent. We feel forced to stay with our current bank and not get as good a deal until he gets a permanent job.

It just shows you what the state of the country is when a soldier with 24 years service cant walk straight into a decent job.

Let me know how you get on, if we hear anything I will let you know too. Fingers crossed for both of you;)
  • NailFace
    NailFace Posts: 1 Newbie
    Ive recently left the forces and I feel for all you guys. The job market is quite pants at the mo. MPGS is a really good option due to pension benefits and also the lifestyle. MPGS is only going to get bigger due to budget cuts
  • MissKitty
    NailFace wrote: »
    Ive recently left the forces and I feel for all you guys. The job market is quite pants at the mo. MPGS is a really good option due to pension benefits and also the lifestyle. MPGS is only going to get bigger due to budget cuts

Thanks for your comments NailFace, love the name.

It's really tough out there at the moment and it makes you realise what security you do get being in the army.

I think the resettlement money of 500 odd pounds you get towards courses is rubbish. We ended up paying out of our own pocket for my husbands courses. It doesn't guarantee you a job at the end of the day as so many people are applying for one job.

It's so sad when you hear stories about ex soldiers ending up homeless, on the streets with no money or job. When they have worked so hard all their life and served our country. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure