Student and Housing Benefit / Income Support

A friend of mine will be starting uni in a few weeks time on a Nursing Course, she will be getting the following finance:

£1000 grant
£4395 bursary
£2324 maintenance loan

Her husband left her 2 weeks ago (great timing), so she is not in receipt of any benefits other than Child Benefit (for her 8 year old and her 3 year old), and Working Families Tax Credit. Child Maintenance etc.. has not yet been arranged between them, and it is unclear how much he will give them. Clearly she will have to inform the authorities of her change of circumstances.

She lives in a privately rented 3 bedroom house costing £500 per month, and seems to think that she is not entitled to any help whatsoever with income support or housing benefit. This doesn't seem right to me. Is this true?

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As a single parent attending university the rules about income based benefits are different.

Basically some of the grants/loans will be taken into consideration and regarded as income.

Her best option is to speak to someone at the university (welfare officer?) so that they can make sure that she is claiming all the loans/grants that she is entitled to. Once she knows what loans/grants that she can claim then they will also be able to advise her as regards any benefits she will be eligible for.

I won't give you any links as regarding this as I believe nursing courses are a little different to other courses.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    A friend of mine will be starting uni in a few weeks time on a Nursing Course, she will be getting the following finance:

£1000 grant
    £4395 bursary
    £2324 maintenance loan

Her husband left her 2 weeks ago (great timing), so she is not in receipt of any benefits other than Child Benefit (for her 8 year old and her 3 year old), and Working Families Tax Credit. Child Maintenance etc.. has not yet been arranged between them, and it is unclear how much he will give them. Clearly she will have to inform the authorities of her change of circumstances.

She lives in a privately rented 3 bedroom house costing £500 per month, and seems to think that she is not entitled to any help whatsoever with income support or housing benefit. This doesn't seem right to me. Is this true?

If you are a full time student, you can not usually qualify for housing benefit (HB) or council tax benefit (CTB), but there are some exceptions, one being –
    you can qualify for HB & CTB (although most student funding will count as income) if you are alone parent with a dependant child or qualifying young person aged under 20.
    For more information see the following link
    http://www.turn2us.org.uk/information__resources/benefits/education/benefits_and_students.aspx
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Regarding income support please see the following information.

Income Support
    Most full-time students are not entitled to Income Support.
    However, you may be entitled to this benefit as a full-time student if you: NB: If you receive student support in the form of a grant or loan, this will probably reduce the amount of Income Support you can get.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Thankyou for your help. I will pass this information onto her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure