Advice on investing in Vanguard and HSBC funds

2»

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dunstonh wrote: »
    HSBC is risk targetted. VLS is not. Asset weightings are different.

Yes, they are similar but there are differences.

I wonder if i could impose upon you to explain further please Dunstoh ?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I wonder if i could impose upon you to explain further please Dunstoh ?

Basically, HSBC, Architas and L&GMI aim to maintain an asset allocation that keeps the fund within a target volatility range that it should not exceed something like 95% of the time. VLS has a static allocation and has no volatility range target.

More cautious investors may prefer the risk targetted ones. Adventurous investors may prefer VLS.

VLS has those static weightings as mentioned but the others will adjust their weightings more frequently in the cycle.

Finally, if you took L&GMI, Architas, HSBC and VLS, you could more or less pick from a selection that covers every 10% of equity. So, whilst VLS does 20,40,60,80,100, the others fill the gaps, although their flexibility means it could be 50% equity one week and 53% the next.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I'm in a similar situation to the OP where I have £100K to split between the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced Fund and Vanguard LS 60, proposing to put £50K in each for 10+years.

On this thread it was mentioned about going through iWeb to put the money in the funds, but wouldn't that mean I would end up paying both the HSBC costs at 0.39% and VLS 60 at 0.15% in addition to the iWeb charges, or am I missing something?

I wasn't proposing to drip feed any more in in the short term, but may decide to diversify my investment at a later date as I become more experienced in investing.

Appreciate any guidance.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    FieldOps wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation to the OP where I have £100K to split between the HSBC Global Strategy Balanced Fund and Vanguard LS 60, proposing to put £50K in each for 10+years.

On this thread it was mentioned about going through iWeb to put the money in the funds, but wouldn't that mean I would end up paying both the HSBC costs at 0.39% and VLS 60 at 0.15% in addition to the iWeb charges, or am I missing something?

Yes you are missing something. You would still pay the unavoidable operating costs of the funds themselves, no matter who you hold them through. But you wouldn't pay Vanguard's fund platform administration fee of 0.15%, and you wouldn't pay HSBC Global Investment Centre's administration fee of 0.39%, because you would no longer be using either of those services. You would instead pay whatever IWeb 's going rate is. That's the point of moving.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    I hold both funds and I have my VLS 60 via Vanguard Investor and HSBC Global Strategy with AJ Bell Youinvest...seems to work OK.
  • I currently have 15k in vanguard 80. The yearly rate for me is £20 a year. Im going to be transferring mine to iweb to make it more cheaper.
    I think the hsbc balance fund is on iweb but unsure. I am after funding the hsbc one to outside of an isa.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You are answering a thread that is now 1yr old!
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    cattie wrote: »
    You are answering a thread that is now 1yr old!

If they started a new one, people would say 'there are hundreds of threads on this exact topic, why don't you use the search function' :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure