PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Threatening letter from council

Comments

• jon8871 wrote: »
    Think you are missing the point. I am not disputing that the work doesn't need to be done. I am not happy with being treated like a criminal, and threatend with eviction.

Life's too short, let go of the stress.

Just ring up and make the appointment.

To be honest (although I suspect you won't appreciate it) you are coming across as 'a bit of an awkward so and so' on this thread.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Would be interesting to see the letter as it does sound like an error.

Also a lot of people use the words "threaten" when they get letters explaining what could happen. The Council has to notify tenants of what may happen. Thats not a threat its fact.

Seems extreme in this case but I feel we don't have all the facts. For example the Council may have had an electical emergency which they have responded to by taking said course of action.

There could be so many reasons... or it could be a mistake. Certainly cannot see how the reference Act is relevant.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Have you gone through your mail mountain to see if they've written to you before ? ( it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between junk mail and council correspondence though)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • jon8871
    jon8871 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Life's too short, let go of the stress.

Just ring up and make the appointment.

To be honest (although I suspect you won't appreciate it) you are coming across as 'a bit of an awkward so and so' on this thread.

You honestly don't think it is unreasonable to be threatened with eviction and a criminal record? I would serously question your intellegience. I am guessing you don't live in council housing, and don't have to put up with this treatment
    I would serously question your intellegience.

Do that when you can spell the words, not before.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
    You honestly don't think it is unreasonable to be threatened with eviction and a criminal record? I would serously question your intellegience. I am guessing you don't live in council housing, and don't have to put up with this treatment
    From what you've posted, of course it's unreasonable, but the trick in life is always try to make a bad situation better and, in this case the way to do that is............?
  • jon8871
    jon8871 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Do that when you can spell the words, not before.

Wow, it was a mistype. I have mental health problems and the thought of eviction and a criminal record is quite stressful. You don't seem like a very nice person
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    jon8871 wrote: »
    We have received this letter as we haven't responded to the council's correspondence requesting that we make contact to arrange an appointment to carry out a PIR (Electrical Installation Condition report). We haven't acknowledged any letters, we get so much junk mail a lot of it just gets left on the side.

So this could have been easily resolved earlier if you'd bothered reading your post. Maybe a lesson for you to learn for the future?
    Wow, it was a mistype. I have mental health problems and the thought of eviction and a criminal record is quite stressful. You don't seem like a very nice person

No, I'm probably not very nice, but I'll live with that.

Suggesting other people are a bit thick because they disagree with you is not very nice, either.

Mental health issues or not - and you may be surprised how many posters here have MH issues - I am sure you are able to acknowledge that.

Eviction and a criminal record can be very easily avoided by simply responding to the letter as requested. So perhaps just do that instead of wondering if it is right/fair/evil.

Just phone them.

Storm in a teacup.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • I think you urgently need to start opening your mail to tell the junk from the important letters. Letters are the way any formal matters need to be dealt with, and dealing with them promptly will be to your benefit (and prevent some of the more unpleasant ones arriving). It's not a crime to not read them, but it's going to be mostly luck if not reading letters hasn't caused you trouble before now. If this is difficult due to your mental health then perhaps explore coping mechanisms or alternative solutions with whoever you'd normally talk to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure