Cold draft / Condensation - Faulty Beading?

Options
Hi guys.

I've a bit of a dilemma with one of my double-glazed upvc bay window, which as far as I'm aware was fitted by the previous owner approx 4-5yrs ago.

I'm getting some cold air at the bottom and I know this because I did a candle flame test. This makes the room very cold and I have to keep the heating on much longer to keep warm.

Also during extremely cold weather, the window has considerable amount of condensation near the bottom of the glass. The window glass itself is fine and the vacuum seal is not broken at all.

My suspicious is the window's upvc beading which is probably worn. I'm thinking due to the size of the windows, it might be worth saving money and first trying the cheaper open of replacing the beading itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Beading doesn't wear out.
  • halifaxmortgage
    Options
    ytfcmad wrote: »
    Beading doesn't wear out.

Thanks for your reply ytfcmad. The plastic of the beading doesn't wearing out, but doesn't the black rubber that presses against the glass wear out?
  • ytfcmad
    Options
    Thanks for your reply ytfcmad. The plastic of the beading doesn't wearing out, but doesn't the black rubber that presses against the glass wear out?

No, there's no movement. Its sort of fit and forget unless you want to de-glaze the window, i have seen instances of the wrong size gasket (black rubber) being used though,if that's the case there would be some play with the DGU. very unlikely its the wrong size bead.
  • ytfcmad
    Options
    The sash might need adjusting so it pulls in tighter against the frame.

There's a void under the frame in the bay that's not insulated.

Probably one of the above.
  • halifaxmortgage
    Options
    Thanks buddy.

When you say sash, do you mean the top opener? If so, then there are no issues with the openers that I know of.

Your suggestion of a void under the window seems valid, but how can I check if this is the case and how do
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Could it be where the window unit was actually fractionally too small for the brickwork and therefore it needed padding out to make a better fit ?

As the area 'ages' the filler/padding materials break down slightly, with weathering and cold areas can be felt around the window.

I've had this scenario twice now :mad:
  • halifaxmortgage
    halifaxmortgage Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 18 January at 9:20PM
    Options
    Catsacor wrote: »
    Could it be where the window unit was actually fractionally too small for the brickwork and therefore it needed padding out to make a better fit ?

As the area 'ages' the filler/padding materials break down slightly, with weathering and cold areas can be felt around the window.

I've had this scenario twice now :mad:

Yeah, that does make sense, but what's the solution to fix this issue?
  • ytfcmad
    Options
    Thanks buddy.

When you say sash, do you mean the top opener? If so, then there are no issues with the openers that I know of.

Your suggestion of a void under the window seems valid, but how can I check if this is the case and how do

Yes the sash is the opener.

Too late to check now fitted.
  • halifaxmortgage
    Options
    My issue is not related to the opener though?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You get the condensation on the inside because of the disparity between warm room/cold window/ventilation. I get it on my bedroom windows.

The solution to fix the issue is to remove any plasterboard/plaster under the sill, check the inslation, insulate properly if not done, replace plaster/plasterboard.
    If there's a radiator in front of it, you'll also have to remove that.
    Not a five minute job for sure.

Or long thick curtains.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure