Long-distance move with an anxious cat

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I found it fascinating reading about some people's experiences. I don't have any as far as long distance is concerned, our move eleven years ago, was only five miles away. My previous cat, did not like going in the carrier - no point making a vet appointment it may take 30 mins into the carrier it may take 60+!
    At the time I worked in a car dealership - so boxes no problem. Took the cat to a cattery late afternoon the day before the move - plenty of loud meows en route together with deposits!!
    Enabled us though to concentrate on the packing - went to bed about 30 minutes past midnight. Next morning carried on packing, removal lorry arrived though late, got going with the heavy stuff while I bagged the fish. Tank loading on lorry, fish in the car. Arrived at new house - lorry unloaded, unpacked some of the boxes, after setting up tank & fish.
    Then late afternoon went and collected the cat, again loud meows, though she was elderly - nineteen at the time - in to the new house - ran upstairs, but after awhile came down and explored. Enjoyed two summers here, away from neighbourhood cats at the old address.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • I moved 250 miles with a traumatised abused rescue cat that wouldn’t really even look at you let alone let anyone pet him so I emptied out one small room before the removers turned up and put him in this in a large (foldable) soft, zippered sided mesh “crate”. I left one end open so he could visit his litter tray if needed but let him quietly in that room while the removers loaded the lorry and I loaded my car. I left at the same time as the removers, very early morning, and my sister zipped up the “crate” sides and loaded him into her car covered with a blanket a few hours later. She arrived at my new place just after the removals guys had left and we took him straight into the small box room and set him up with his litter tray, water, food etc and shut the door. I unpacked and got settled and the next day he ventured out into the hallway and light for the very first time ever. He had lived under my bed for the previous year so it was like he agreed and approved of the move. As I type this he is now curled up on the sofa snoring and farting! He’s come out of himself a lot since the move although is still very wary of people he doesn’t know.

Have you got anyone that can follow on with your cat a few hours after you’ve left? I wouldn’t leave mine in a cattery, it would have just added to a very stressful time.
  • I moved with my cat when I was younger we moved 100 miles. He cried the whole way bless him :( we just did it all in one go so it wasn't too much stop and start for him and I was in the back of the car with him. When we got to the new house we shut him in the bathroom with a blanket, food, water and I sat with him for a little bit and kept going in for a fuss. He was ok after a few days and loved the new house!
    x
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have an X X X X large carrier for my nervous cat as the carrier is big enough for a litter tray, plus space for him to sit outside the tray.. Most of his "nervousness" is deposited in the tray, which keeps him happier as he is then not sitting in his own mess.
    The huge box is awkward to carry, but makes everyone happier.
  • I moved a very stress head/ anxiety head cat, who was 9 at the time.

Over 300 miles from old life to new life.

She was in her cat box and strapped into the passenger seat.

My car was packed and I accidently covered the heaters with my stuff.

She was quiet after a bit of driving, I kept talking to her every hour without fail to make sure she was ok, much to her annoyance as I kept waking her.

8.5 hours of overnight winter driving in a classic car and we moved home and she ruled the flat the moment we had moved in.

Had to move flats last month and I honestly couldnt see how she was going to go in the cat box. I had loaded the car with bedding as I was moving us in before my OH was moving over from old to new flat the day after (he was doing the furniture move), OH grabbed her in a blanki so her body was covered and her head was out. She was doing peek-a-boo, with intermitent panting and nosing out the car window.

They are quite tough but it's best to do the cat move as a side and not with your belongings (less stress for all involved).
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • I've moved 200 miles with my cat. He's not an anxious cat though. I had a dog crate that filled the back seat so he could stand up and spread out (He's a big cat, 6KG!) had his blanket in there and a bit of food. Made sure to time setting off for after his poo.

He was okay until I got on the motorway, he doesn't like going fast! I found classical music seemed to help calm him down and he went to sleep for half the journey.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Update: Tomorrow's the day!

Well, we're doing it! Hubby has the task for driving Sir Spoilt Paws for 6 hours. :D

Following advice on here, and from other people and our vet, we have:
    • got a dog crate for him to travel in, as he can't even stand up in his cat carrier
    • lined the crate with towels and blankets, and put his favourite bed in there
    • started spraying his soft furnishings with Feliway spray
    • I've worn an old t-shirt for a few days so it's nice and stinky of me and that can go in too :D
    • got a blanket to put over the crate in the car
    • practised putting the empty crate in the car to work out the best way to do it and secure it!
    • decided not to give him breakfast, which he'll hate :eek:

Hubby is going to leave EARLY so the roads will be quiet for the first couple of hours at least.

Wish us luck!
  • Good luck - I'm sure it'll be fine! Once it's done, it's done :)
  • What a lucky cat to have owners who care so much about his comfort!

I think the dog crate is a great idea, safe but not too confined.

If it was a dog I'd suggest a stuffed kong or a knuckle bone as a distraction for the journey, is there any sort of equivalent for cats?

Good luck with the move!
  • Your current plan sounds like it'll work great - good luck and safe travels!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure