Money Moral Dilemma: Should I go back and pay for my train ticket?

Options

Comments

• crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I remember a time when, in addition to ticket offices being open all sorts of hours, there were inspectors and collectors patrolling the carriages when on the move, and invariably station-masters posting themselves at the exit gates to take tickets at destinations and unpaid fares.

If railway companies today are so disorganized and poorly managed that stations can't even be bothered to man ticket offices when trains are running, it's little wonder they're in the state they are.

In your position, I certainly wouldn't have sleepless nights over such crass inefficiency. Look upon the experience as something gained through another's negligence.:)
  • NotGivingIn
    Options
    Something similar happened to me once, our train was approaching the platform but the only ticket seller was dealing with a customer purchasing several tickets and we had already been queuing for 10 minutes. He saw our predicament and knew some of us, so told us to go through and sort it out on the train or at the other end. When we arrived at our destination we were charged extra for failing to get the ticket! Result - a £3.60 ticket actually cost each of us £8.80. One of our group even gave the name of the person in starting ticket office but no-one would listen!!
    :mad: working my way to financial freedom
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    REJP wrote: »
    Depends on how you have been brought up. I was taught to always be honest, so I would try to pay on my next journey.
    I can understand why people paying a lot of money for tickets who often suffer from delayed journeys and therefore miss work might want to avoid paying, but there is a mechanism to claim compensation for delays.
    The more people travel without paying means increases in fares in the end for those who pay.
    This seems to me to be an Infant 5 lesson on honesty. Who dreamed the question up?

It's true that I ought to pay for my ticket each and every time. But there really is a limit to the headspace I'm going to give a £1.15 fare - in either direction ! I don't bother claiming refunds when I could either. As I said, practically speaking it'll come out in the wash... other situations might vary of course.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    The train companies are rarely held accountable. Everyone who gets a free ticket should do a happy dance as far as I'm concerned. That's the contempt I have towards Network Rail.

You can hold Network Rail in as much contempt as you want. They have nothing to do with ticketing or revenue protection - that's the responsibility of the various, private, Train Operating Companies.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    You can hold Network Rail in as much contempt as you want. They have nothing to do with ticketing or revenue protection - that's the responsibility of the various, private, Train Operating Companies.

I tend to incorrectly use the term Network Rail to refer to all of the companies. I'm aware that as a company themselves, they have no role in the ticketing etc. They do, however, have part responsibility in ensuring the trains run on time..... and they're failing.
  • awm49
    awm49 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The National Rail Conditions of Carriage state that in circumstances such as yours you should "as soon as you are reasonably able, buy an appropriate Ticket to complete your journey."

You were not reasonably able to buy a ticket to complete your journey on that day and it is not reasonable for a customer to return to the station another day to buy a ticket for a journey that was already completed, nor can you buy tickets for dates that have passed.

As such enjoy your free ride, ultimately rail companies choose not to man ticket offices and have penalty fare free stations precisely because they do not provide adequate ticket facilities at all times especially in rural areas.
  • Melancholie
    Options
    My daughter tried to pay for her rail ticket at her destination station and unbelievably instead of taking the payment the rail company fined her for travelling without a ticket! It was featured in our local press at the time and the rail company's response was that it is an offence to travel without a ticket. (Predictably this was Southern Rail).

Also on Southern Rail, my husband was told at his starting station to pay at his destination. When he arrived and went to pay, he was told there was no mechanism to take payment for the ticket so they had to issue a fine, but if he appealed it then it would be refunded. He did and it was.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I def would yes.

Why - well it's the right thing to do but also because in this day and age of CCTV, I would be too worried not to pay.

They've got you on CCTV arriving at the station, they've got you on CCTV on the train riding to your destination and they've got you on CCTV getting off the train.

Whilst you may think you've got away with it and should you not pay, I'd take the road of get there as quick as possible to pay before they catch up with you and you get done for not paying, in this day and age, anything is possible and you don't want a criminal record which could hinder you in getting a job for life and you'd possibly lose your current job as well if employed.

Do the right and sensible thing and pay up - you'll feel better for it anyway.

Not that I like train companies - I think they're rip off merchants, but this could directly effect you for life, not worth it for the price of a train ticket.
  • davenport151
    davenport151 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2019 at 8:54PM
    Options
    When catching a train there was no time for me to buy a ticket. The lady at the station said not to worry, I could buy one at my destination. However, when I arrived, the ticket office was closed, so I left without paying.

Presumably this was a station employee? In which case you had chance to purchase a ticket.Was there not a ticket machine at either station?

Most times on British trains my tickets are checked (Anglia region) or there are barriers at the station at start or end of journey.
    As many have mentioned Germany as a frequent traveller there (and this is travelling a lot of the day) I find tickets are checked a few times - 3 or 4 at most. Very rarely on trams or S-bahn/U-bahn.
    We did have one day when we had no checks at all. I did have a ticket.

Moral money dilemma - A few years back when in the local region getting on at the last stop before the trains destination, we were not ticket checked and the guard did not come forward to check or sell us a ticket (my error in no going to find the guard) A fare of around £2.20. Should now I forward this amount to the train company as we did not pay?
    Incidentally the guard was right near us and made no attempt to check our tickets.
    Back on the trains again!

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst you may think you've got away with it and should you not pay, I'd take the road of get there as quick as possible to pay before they catch up with you and you get done for not paying, in this day and age, anything is possible and you don't want a criminal record which could hinder you in getting a job for life and you'd possibly lose your current job as well if employed.

Do the right and sensible thing and pay up - you'll feel better for it anyway.

Not that I like train companies - I think they're rip off merchants, but this could directly effect you for life, not worth it for the price of a train ticket.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Absolute comedy gold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family