Wait to claim from pet insurance?

Hi all,

Just got back from the vets as we have a kitten with possible ringworm.
The vet has taken some samples to be tested and given her some antibiotic treatment. Total cost we paid just now was about £130 and we should get the results in 10 days. We were told that if it is definitely ringworm then she will need another injection.

I'm wondering if I should start a claim on the pet insurance (with direct line) for the cost of treatment now, or if its best to wait until we have a proper diagnosis later and to claim for any further treatment in one go?

The vet said other possible causes could be mites or an allergic reaction, or something else... And sometimes it's best to treat as per the vets intuition as its not always practical/affordable to run tests. Is it possible to claim for cost of treatment if the exact cause of the issue isn't known? Might be a stupid question, but I've never actually claimed on pet insurance despite being a long time pet owner (thankfully!).

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I think I would email Direct Line and ask them, rather than take the risk of perhaps missing the time for making a claim.
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Kimono wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just got back from the vets as we have a kitten with possible ringworm.
    The vet has taken some samples to be tested and given her some antibiotic treatment. Total cost we paid just now was about £130 and we should get the results in 10 days. We were told that if it is definitely ringworm then she will need another injection.

I'm wondering if I should start a claim on the pet insurance (with direct line) for the cost of treatment now, or if its best to wait until we have a proper diagnosis later and to claim for any further treatment in one go?

The vet said other possible causes could be mites or an allergic reaction, or something else... And sometimes it's best to treat as per the vets intuition as its not always practical/affordable to run tests. Is it possible to claim for cost of treatment if the exact cause of the issue isn't known? Might be a stupid question, but I've never actually claimed on pet insurance despite being a long time pet owner (thankfully!).

It would be worth starting the claim on your insurance, some vets offer a claim direct service (where you pay the excess, and the rest is invoiced to your insurance directly). Unless you fancy paying for it all and then claiming back to yourself, claim direct is useful (but not offered in every practice).
    Also, which antibiotic was used? I'm curious as ringworm is a fungal infection and should be treated as such.
    Hope you get your kitten fixed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport