Dogs teeth removal / full extraction

Hi all,

We have an 11 year old male chihuahua cross bichon.

He has had bad teeth for a while now - he had 9 teeth removed about 5 years ago and I fear the vet will say he needs the rest removed.
To be fair she advised this one year ago.

I had reservations about this as he is very small and was worried with his age about a big op like this. Also hated the thought of him having no teeth.

After doing some research it seems he may be in pain and hiding this and would be much better off having them all out.
His teeth do look terrible.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice about this or had the same situation. I'm assuming he will need different food from his normal biscuits etc.

Will having no teeth cause him other problems ?

Just trying to weigh everything up....

Many thanks

Comments

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If your vet suggested this one year ago why are you on the forum asking now?

Yes the dog could be in pain. yes they will need a different diet.

The best qualified person to give you advice on this be it anaesthetic risk or whatever is your fully qualified vet yet appear to ignore their advice despite paying for it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    His teeth won't get any better and could eventually cause a serious infection. Then he would be in a worse condition to cope with an operation.

Is it not better to have the operation now than when he is even older?

Vets regularly do operations on older dogs and know the special care that needs to be taken.

HIs biscuits can be soaked before feeding them but I believe dog do manage without teeth.

Your vet is the best person to explain everything to you.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mine had some teeth removed at an older age. If you're concerned about the anaesthetic you can have the full bloods done first but if he's otherwise healthy then it shouldn't be an issue. It is indeed possible he's in pain and not showing it, and think how miserable you are with pain from one tooth let alone several.
    What is the reason you've delayed so long?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • elsien wrote: »
    Mine had some teeth removed at an older age. If you're concerned about the anaesthetic you can have the full bloods done first but if he's otherwise healthy then it shouldn't be an issue. It is indeed possible he's in pain and not showing it, and think how miserable you are with pain from one tooth let alone several.
    What is the reason you've delayed so long?

Well to be honest when the vet checked him over she said it was 50/50 and would probably need them doing.

As he is a happy dog and it didn't seem to bother him, I was worried about losing him during the procedure just because of his age more than anything.

I didn't realise dogs hid pain so left it.
    After researching I realise it's something that now will almost certainly need doing and the risk isn't as big as I thought.
    Plus apparently smaller dogs live longer so his age isn't as much a factor.

He's booked in for his annual check tomorrow so will go with whatever the vet says.

Thanks for your advice
  • sheramber wrote: »
    His teeth won't get any better and could eventually cause a serious infection. Then he would be in a worse condition to cope with an operation.

Is it not better to have the operation now than when he is even older?

Vets regularly do operations on older dogs and know the special care that needs to be taken.

HIs biscuits can be soaked before feeding them but I believe dog do manage without teeth.

Your vet is the best person to explain everything to you.

Thank you will do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport