Electric oven socket not working

2»

Comments

• nickcc wrote: »
    Most consumer units only have one RCD and occasionally two, never seen one with a dedicated cooker RCD, but of course I stand to be corrected.

RCBOs have a seperate RCD for each individual circuit
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    nickcc wrote: »
    Most consumer units only have one RCD and occasionally two, never seen one with a dedicated cooker RCD, but of course I stand to be corrected.
    Our 2004 built house has a breaker of some sort, maybe RCBOs, for each circuit, including a dedicated circuit for the oven.

From memory, there are maybe eight or nine in total. Upstairs and downstairs lighting and sockets are four. Then there is oven, alarms and a few others,

If the oven has a fault and triggers the breaker, it only affects the oven.

If a downstairs bulb triggers the breaker, it only affects downstairs lights.

etc.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow but I think that is reasonably accurate.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Avoriaz wrote: »
    Our 2004 built house has a breaker of some sort, maybe RCBOs, for each circuit, including a dedicated circuit for the oven.

From memory, there are maybe eight or nine in total. Upstairs and downstairs lighting and sockets are four. Then there is oven, alarms and a few others,

If the oven has a fault and triggers the breaker, it only affects the oven.

If a downstairs bulb triggers the breaker, it only affects downstairs lights.

etc.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow but I think that is reasonably accurate.

The breakers are most likely MCB's which replaced the old style wired fuses, MCB's are rated in the same way as the old fuse wire used to be. The breaker on my oven is 30 amp, too low a rating will result in the breaker constantly tripping when the oven is using too much power. You also get consumer units where one side is protected by a single RCD and the other side with a basic on off switch, the non protected side is for the likes of fridge freezers or other essential circuits where a nuisance trip of the RCD could be disastrous.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Avoriaz wrote: »
    The oven may be on a dedicated circuit.
    If its a cooker or double oven yes. Methinks OP has a single oven plugged into a 13A socket in which case its unlikely and probably wired as part of the kitcchen ring. Yours may be possibly wired that way (refering to your later post) but the vast majority won't be.
    RCBOs have a seperate RCD for each individual circuit
    Just to be picky (sorry) an RCBO combines the operation of an MCB and an RCD into a single device. There is no separate RCD.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure