PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Extension built over public sewer - Implications?

As some of you may know, I was trying to buy a place using the ownhome scheme. Funding has now gone, and although I had secured some it looks like I'm about to lose the house. At least I assume I am, nobody seems to know! Heres the basic story:

1) Offer accepted
2) Survey highlights drain under property, bank requires CCTV survey
3) CCTV survey fine, sent to bank
4) Bank say unsure if they can lend, because of drain highlighted in point 2

The problem I have is, nobody will tell me what implications this has! All I get, from all sides, is that they've not dealt with a case like this before. My lender doesn't have a clue, all I get is "we're waiting for the valuer to reply" and I've had that all week. The lender said they don't know the implications, if its something they'll even consider or if its just a minor thing. Somebody must know, I can't be the first person to deal with this. The house has sold twice without anyone noticing, the extension was built in '76 and the current owner has had it since '95.

So whats the deal, should I hold out any hope or walk away now? The houses either side have smaller extensions, but I'm sure one of them crosses the drain too.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the drain is listed by Severn Trent as owned by themselves, but that it runs across the rear wall of the extension. This is not the case, it defintely runs underneath the extension by a few feet.

Comments

• m_13
    m_13 Posts: 990 Forumite
    Rules in 1976 are likely to have been different but since 2000 to build within 3 metres of a sewer you need the consent of the owner.

I think the issue is going to be if there are problems with the sewer (which is already at least 33 years old) or want to renew it. Your extension is obviously in the way and if they determine that the pressure from the extension is partially the cause of the failure (the new regulations require permission to build over and a requirement to put in lintels to ensure no weight is put on the sewer pipe from the extension) then they might be coming to you for money!

Looking positively, if they did a CCTV survey then they must have been able to access the drain which is good news. I've seen a few posts where people have found manholes underneath their kitchen floor after an extension has been built over them!
  • tek-monkey
    tek-monkey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2009 at 2:46PM
    The manhole is to the side, and the drains are in perfect order. Apparently way better than expected! However, I still don't know if I can get a mortgage, or even if I want to buy now. I have been offered an indemnity policy, but it only covers my lender. Means any losses I incur are still my own problem, not sure about that!

EDIT: Also, would this affect my buildings insurance?
  • besonders1
    besonders1 Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would hate it if there was a large manhole inside my kitchen or front room, does that mean if there was a problem, you would end up with workmen coming into your kitchen and digging up sewage in the middle of your house?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    To clarify, is this the mains drain, through which the poo of others will pass? Or is it just your poo pipe that then drains into the mains?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My house (bought late 1990s) has extension (1970s) built over sewer. Had no problem from lender. The manhole cover has now been updated to current spec. Lenders these days are scared of their own shadow and usually someone, somewhere along the line will make a profit from an unnecessary and useless indemnity policy.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My brother in law just built an extension over his sewer, which involved putting a manhole cover in the new loo, which could be tiled to sort of blend in.

My old terraced house had a bathroom extension built over the pipe where my neighbours sewer pipe fed into the manhole in my garden. The first surveyor flagged it up, but the next one didn't mention it.

I can't imagine the problem is insurmountable.
    Been away for a while.
  • tek-monkey
    The manhole is outside, there is none inside the property. I suspect it has been moved from its original location, as it is only a foot or so from the boundary, although this is speculation on my part. It is indeed a poo pipe, it carries the sewerage from 4 other dwellings (from what I can see).

From what I have been told, it is Severn Trents drain and they have full responsibility to fix it. I would have to allow them onto the property, and they could destroy anything in the way if they needed to, at my expense. This is what worries me! If it was a private sewer it wouldn't really matter, but as Severn Trent own it there could be a problem.
    My house (bought late 1990s) has extension (1970s) built over sewer. Had no problem from lender. The manhole cover has now been updated to current spec. Lenders these days are scared of their own shadow and usually someone, somewhere along the line will make a profit from an unnecessary and useless indemnity policy.

Do you know if yours is public or private? As for the policy, its up to the vendor. I aint paying a penny, the house has to be in order or the price reduced accordingly.

I'm just annoyed that nobody (EA/Sol/Lender/Surveyor) will tell me whats going on, they just say they've not dealt with this before so can't comment. What the hell am I paying them for?!?!?!
  • tek-monkey
    My brother in law just built an extension over his sewer, which involved putting a manhole cover in the new loo, which could be tiled to sort of blend in.

My old terraced house had a bathroom extension built over the pipe where my neighbours sewer pipe fed into the manhole in my garden. The first surveyor flagged it up, but the next one didn't mention it.

I can't imagine the problem is insurmountable.

This is whats bugging me, I've lived somewhere like this too! But nobody wants to tell me how it relates to my mortgage, and I only have 1 month now until the ownhome funds are lost. I've told the EA and vendor this, but I'm starting to suspect the vendors sol just wants rid of me as they are delaying everything they can.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    tek-monkey wrote: »
    ...(EA/Sol/Lender/Surveyor) ...What the hell am I paying them for?!?!?!

Well:
    1. EA - you aren't paying him, the seller is.
    2. Sol - you are paying him, but just to check the legal side of the transaction and money. It's not his job to advise except on legal matters.
    3. Lender - you are paying them to assess you and the house for mortgageability and lend you money secured against the house. But it's not their job to advise.
    4. Surveyor - he's your man. Get him to get the answers. You paid good money to him for a service... he needs a rod up his harris.
  • tek-monkey
    Thanks PasturesNew, you're right. Unfortunatley the surveyor never answers his phone, and was the one my lender insisted I use :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure