BG Smart Meter Readings

Hi

My dad recently switched to BG smart meters but on checking his account he can't see any meter reading history. Can anyone tell me do BG remove the option to send manual reading once you have smart meters fitted and therefore the option to see reading history?

Many thanks

Comments

• MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah they do.

My shiny smets2 electric meter was sending back its readings, but the gas wasn't. I logged in to submit the reading but it would not let me.

2 months later, gas meter has started reading automatically so it sorted itself out.
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Hi

My dad recently switched to BG smart meters but on checking his account he can't see any meter reading history. Can anyone tell me do BG remove the option to send manual reading once you have smart meters fitted and therefore the option to see reading history?

Many thanks

I had B.Gas smart meters for about 18 months up until my switch to AVRO in Oct’17;…I can’t remember if there was a facility to submit manual readings but there is little value in doing that anyway.

You can set your smart-meters to submit readings to Br.Gas every 24hrs if you wish. Simply log into your account and all the current/historic readings are displayed in detail. For peace of mind you could take manual readings and then check online to see if they tally, I guess.

Things may have changed since Oct’17 though. :question:

The problem I had with Br.Gas is that they allowed my credit to build-up and never once adjusted my monthly D/D in all the time I was with them.

They constantly over-billed me and I didn’t notice;…I (very stupidly!) didn’t actually monitor my bills because I naively believed all their advertising claptrap about their wonderful automated/accurate ‘smart meter’ billing system.

When I left Br.Gas last year they owed me getting on for £800,…which was an unexpected pleasant’ish surprise but they (and I) really shouldn’t have let it get to that stage in the first place;…I hope they’ve improved their billing system!

P.S. I learned my lesson and I do monitor my D/D’s more carefully these days. :D
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 222
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MeterMan wrote: »
    Yeah they do.

My shiny smets2 electric meter was sending back its readings, but the gas wasn't. I logged in to submit the reading but it would not let me.

2 months later, gas meter has started reading automatically so it sorted itself out.

As of Mid June (This year) they had only just installed the 1,000th SMETS2 meter, at least 450 of those were in non-residential premises. In Feb they had installed only 80, and as they are saying (in June) installed units had doubled then that would mean there had only been about 160 residential installs.

So count yourself lucky. I know someone who less than 2 months ago let BG install a smart meter. Theirs is SMETS1 and doesn't function (No signal). So they are going to install cell repeaters at his property in the hopes of getting it working.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    Forumite
    how do you knows its an SME2
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433
    Forumite
    AndyPK wrote: »
    how do you knows its an SME2

You would have been asked to take part in the trial, if you weren't asked then you have a regular Smet1 metering system.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If it has just happened it may take a few days. Once it is set up he will be able to see all his meters reads and through My energy will also be able to see when he is using the energy. I can see all that plus a lot more on my online account. As long as he had opted to allow the readings regularly ( from as little as 30 mins up to monthly) he will be able to see these. If he ever wants to see what he has used before a bill is produced he can generate this online also.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • The reading history has now re-appeared on his account but the only recent readings make no sense.
    Will the smart meter readings show up. Surely they can't show them all on the account?
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They usually only show reads to use for bills such as this or if you have had something done on the account like mine, I had a refund so I billed it again. After a month or so he can also click on My energy and it will show a daily usage.

20/07/2018
    119 kWh
    24/06/2018
    4 kWh
    23/06/2018
    58 kWh
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing