Lounge radiator won't come on unless I turn on the hall radiator - why?

Aaron3195
Aaron3195 Posts: 51 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Edit: Hoping this is the right forum, wasn't really sure.

Just started using central heating again since the weekend. I only ever heat the lounge and bathroom but neither of them want to come on unless I turn on the one in the hall. I never needed to do that last winter or the one before that.

If I do leave the hall radiator off it can take about 2 or 3 hours before the lounge radiator heats up - which is also weird. The combi-boiler is showing the flashing radiator icon to signify it's on.

I have bled all the radiators today but this hasn't fixed it. Anyone know why it behaves like this?

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Aaron3195 wrote: »
    Edit: Hoping this is the right forum, wasn't really sure.

Just started using central heating again since the weekend. I only ever heat the lounge and bathroom but neither of them want to come on unless I turn on the one in the hall. I never needed to do that last winter or the one before that.

If I do leave the hall radiator off it can take about 2 or 3 hours before the lounge radiator heats up - which is also weird. The combi-boiler is showing the flashing radiator icon to signify it's on.

I have bled all the radiators today but this hasn't fixed it. Anyone know why it behaves like this?

Did it used to work without the one in the hall being turned on?
  • wavelets wrote: »
    Did it used to work without the one in the hall being turned on?
    Yep, came on in minutes last winter. Now I have to wait 2-3 hours.

If I want the heating right now instead of waiting a few hours I'd have to turn on the hall tap but I don't want to.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    we had same problem and it was down to having taken off/disconnected radiators whilst decorating,they had to be balanced again

Must be nice and warm where you live to only have turned them on at weekend....its bl00dy cold up here:D
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Aaron3195 wrote: »
    Yep, came on in minutes last winter. Now I have to wait 2-3 hours.

If I want the heating right now instead of waiting a few hours I'd have to turn on the hall tap but I don't want to.

Sounds like something has gone wrong.
    Nothing serious that a good plumber wouldn't be able to sort out for you :)
  • Possibly an air lock in the pipework

Have a cloth ready, open the cold rad bleed valve, be ready for any dirty water

Close the TRV or valve on the working rad, and this should force the hot water in the pipework from the boiler to push the air lock in the pipework out through the bleed valve

If OK, open the TRV or valve again

Let us know
  • Aaron3195
    Aaron3195 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2018 at 8:09PM
    Anthony_C wrote: »
    Possibly an air lock in the pipework

Have a cloth ready, open the cold rad bleed valve, be ready for any dirty water

Close the TRV or valve on the working rad, and this should force the hot water in the pipework from the boiler to push the air lock in the pipework out through the bleed valve

If OK, open the TRV or valve again

Let us know

Hi, I've already bled all 4 radiators in the flat, all of them stream out clear water without any spluttering. Didn't solve it though. I also later experimented with opening the lockshield on Hall and Lounge radiator a quarter of the way with a spanner, no dice.

I might call out a plumber, if its more cost effective than leaving the hall radiator on to force the lounge radiator to work.
  • I feel a bit silly now, there's a knob on the floor under every radiator that I've never had to adjust since moving in 3 years ago. I assumed it was a defunct part from an old radiator system because it looks old. I think over time my shoes must have turned the knob slightly and it cut off the water bypass?

https://imgur.com/a/KMr4cTL

I've turned it fully on and now my radiators work in the other rooms without requiring to turn on the hall radiator :j
  • Thats good ,, also with thermosratic radiator valves if left closed they can stick in the closed position,, remove trv head and wobble pin to free off
    Thats a good idea thanks muchly.. 😊
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport