Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• I had a nice reunion today with a friend I lost touch with twenty-five years ago. We have known each other since Primary School. I said to her, we must not lose touch again, life is too short. She agreed so we are going to meet again soon. She only lives five minute's drive away. :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 August 2018 at 11:28AM
    Good morning lovely ladies....,

Loving the chat....I do so enjoy my early morning catch up with you all with my early morning coffee.

Is anyone watching the Shirley Valentine programme. As a die hard people watcher I have to say I find it fascinating, and it does remind me a bit of our thread.

For those who haven't seen it, it is about a bunch of famous tv women presenters and celebs of a certain age, most of them divorced, who basically are trying to "find or reinvent themselves". It is very interesting. I won't say any more in case those who haven't seen it yet want to watch it.

Well TF. That didn't take long did it.......:rotfl: sounds like your transition from Frump to Fab is working in record time. Well done you. And Maman is so right, yes we do it for us but isn't it nice when we starting getting those compliments. ;)

Interesting chat about the shoes.......

A few years ago I ended up seeing a podiatrist for plantar fasciitis. He looked at my shoes and gave me some advice.....I was wearing completely flat shoes.

He said we should not wear flat footwear all the time, we need to ring the changes.

For general everyday he recommended a minimum height of around 1 inch,

Sorry that should read maximum ........

but that the heel should be an intrinsic part of the shoe design (a sort of wedge effect iyswim) so that the weight is distributed all along the foot. This way there is less strain on the ball of the foot.

As we get older we do lose our natural cushioning on the ball of the foot. We lose some of the fat. Apparently some of the celebs have substances jnjected into the ball of the foot so they can wear high heels, but gel insoles do the trick too. I remember Kate Moss once saying she couldn't live without gel insoles.

The podiatrist also said that completely flat shoes like ballerina styles put too much strain on both the lower leg (especially if you have short or tight calf muscles and tight hamstrings) and not supporting the arch of the foot, pulling on all the tendons that connect the ankle to the foot. He also warned about very thin soles shoes and said that cheaper shoes tend to offer less cushioning and support. So again padded insoles can help there.

He said there is nothing intrinsically wrong with either high heels or completely flat shoes but neither should be worn for hours on end every day. He was particularly scathing about flip flops, the sort with the thong thing between the toes. He said they damaged the toes, the constant gripping action and of course no ankle support. Again fine for pottering about but not designed for wearing for hours on end or walking long distances.

I have followed his advice and I have to say he was right..

I have never been a trainer kind of gal. I'm with Joan Collins on this one, I just don't consider them smart or elegant, no matter how much they cost. However, I do appreciate their value as a sports shoe. I now wear trainers when I go for my walks. They really do make a difference, supporting my ankles and putting less strain on my knees.

Anyway.....as I said to the podiatrist ......."well that's good news, it gives me the perfect excuse to have lots of shoes in different styles". Wahaaaay.

i thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon tea. Didn't wear the linen dress in the end, Instead I wore white linen trousers, a simple sleeveless navy top and a grey and pink flower Patterned chiffon kimono. Smart enough for the venue but cool and relaxed.

Today is acupuncture and then lunch at my favourite restaurant for my sons birthday. So a nice relaxing day. Then tomorrow I am meeting up with some ladies I met on my last cruise, Quite the social whirl.......:rotfl:

Hope you all have a lovely weekend......
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I had an absolutely lovely day at the races. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Lots of beautiful outfits and hats/fascinators & I held my own ;)
    I made small bets on all the races and 3 of them came in. Didn't have a huge win but came away £10 down overall so quite happy with that. I've also learnt how to read the odds and place a bet!
    I'm a shoeaholic - cheap flats worn all the time ruin your feet! Even my ballerinas have a small 1/2 inch heel. I've never been able to wear toe post sandals or flip flops for any length of time, I do have some but they are kept for the beach or the shower when I'm on holiday.
    On the subject of dry hair a good Argan oil nourishes without being greasy, especially if you have grey or white hair it gives a beautiful shine.
    Enjoy your day LL and make sure you relax after your treatment.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 August 2018 at 12:19PM
    Sorry just edited the bit about shoes.....every day height of around 1" for walking should read maximum not minimum.

"My bad" as the kids would say. Yeah I'm down with the kids, got all the lingo.....:rotfl:

Anyway just back from acupuncture so now rest for a while until a late lunch with the "the fam". :rotfl:

Silva. Glad you enjoyed the races. You had great weather for it but you have to feel sympathy for the gee gees, running in the heat. Bless em. At least it wasn't the Grand National - 4.5 Miles I believe.

In this heat animals in general need extra care. My sons cat was a bit lethargic the other day when it was really hot. He's ok now though. My sister has horses and she says it's a full time job making sure they are ok. They still need to be exercised but she is very careful about the heat.

The other day I was in the park at 11 am and it was blistering. There was a guy playing fetch with his dog. Well the guy stood whilst the dog did all the running and fetching. Well I had to say something. I tried to make it a joke and made some comment about it being hot for games of fetch. The idiot just shrugged and said "but he loves it".

Yes dogs do love it but it is dangerous. They can overheat and die. He was wearing shorts and tee shirt and standing still. His dog was a wearing a fur coat and running around. Moron......:mad:

Thanks for all the hair oil tips.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Ladies,

LL I absolutely love the Shirley Valentine programme. I find it utterly fascinating watching each of the 8 women's journey to self discovery and their interactions with each other. I applaud the way in which they are so supportive of each other. The surprise for me is that my 26 year old daughter has enjoyed watching each episode with me.

It is so hot in London again. :D My extra large electric chrome floor fan has been hard at work today. :)

Silva I am glad you had such a fun time at the races. :D Going to Royal Ascot's Ladies Day is on my to do list. :D

On the subject of shoes, it is heels all the way for me usually, but I have been forced to wear my only pair of black leather trainers far more often than I would like. Sometimes the bones in my feet hurt and ache, so then I can not wear heels. :( Almost all of the pairs of shoes that I own are Van Dal. :D Other women frequently admire my shoes. My absolute limit is 3 inch heels, but most of my shoes are 2 or 2.5 inch heels. ;)

I am slowly losing weight again, but it is at a snail's pace because I can not be as active as I need to be. I have a long way to go to get back to a fighting fit weight, but I just have to continue to eat mostly healthily and be patient. My planned holiday to the Caribbean next year is a big motivator. :D

I have been completing pages of my going out scrapbook yesterday and this morning. It is quite time consuming. It is a large beautifully bound M & S purple and pink hardback cover with black pages scrapbook that my older daughter bought for me a few years ago. The completed pages are a great reminder of some of the fun activities I have done in past years. I will start on 2018 tomorrow.

I now have just over £802 in my holiday savings account. :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So pleased you enjoyed your day at the races silva.:)

I'm another that doesn't like toe post sandals. I put up with flip flops when I did a lot of swimming but certainly not for walking any distance.

My Fit Flops are slides. I have a gold pair and a black pair which suit most occasions.

https://www.fitflop.com/uk/en/shop/sale-all-uk/aztek-chada-suede-slide-sandals-p-419-323

The heatwave is back here with a vengeance: 29 degrees at the moment. :cool:

I've been out this morning in one of my loose dresses and the said gold Fit Flops. Other than underwear that was it! Oh and of course my Raybans!:rotfl:

I weighed this morning for the first time in two months and found I'd gained 4lbs!:eek: I had guessed as much but wearing the loose dresses doesn't make it obvious. I don't weigh at home so usually I rely on jeans and other fitted clothes to let me know if I've overindulged. I'll sort it out soon but it'll be slow as I have a number of social occasions coming up and I always find eating healthily when I'm out difficult.

Have a good weekend all.:)
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Silva - I love the races. Only been three or four times but what fun! My partner (who I will now call Himself) told me the first time "don't bet any more than you can afford to loose". It was limited to £2.00 a bet but I so enjoyed myself. Everyone else studied the form and I picked the colour of the jockey's shirt. Guess who won. Suffice i to say I paid for dinner.
    So today Himself took me out for lunch. First time in months we've been out. I wore a bright apricot lacy top to brighten the black and I even wore some make up. We had such a nice time and I felt really good about myself. I can do this. Just need to concentrate on loosing some weight now.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • silvasava
    Oooh Maman - I do like those slides - just the sort of thing I go for in the summer.
    TF - Your H is quite right - I only did £2.00 each way bets and picked by the names. One of them had the name of a good friend of mine so I backed it and my winnings covered my stake - quite happy with that.
    So pleased about the changes you have made and they are making you feel so much more positive - go girl!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi fabbers, I have just updated myself with the thread.

Maman I am loving my sketchers go walk, which I bought following your recommendation on this thread. They are very light and comfortable.

On Friday, I had to go to Bristol for work and I wore them for the day. I was very excited as the actress who plays Arya Stark was on my train. I double takes at first, as I wondered why she was getting the train, but it as definitely her.

I hav been thinking about my birthday, next year. I am just over a year away from turning 40 and I want to mark the occasion. I suggested to OH that we go aomewhere for the weekend. It will be the first time we would have spent more than a night away from the children, so very exciting. I have a couple of cities on my shortlist - any one been to these places or have any other suggestions?

Marrakech it will be hot, it!!!8217;s cheap and lots of shopping opportunities.

Scandinavia I have become really interested since going to Greece last year as our hotel catered mainly for Scandinavian tourists. I like a lot of their lifestyle and concepts,so I thought it would be nice to visit one of the capitals (including Denmark).

Dubai my sister suggested this one. Although I am interested because I havent been to the UAE, it will be expensive and I cant help but think that Dubai is !!!8216;over!!!8217;.

Athens this is currently my no 1. I love Ancient Greek history, plus I can shop and top up my tan.

Eastern Europe again, never been to Eastern Europe, but it could be somewhere !!!8216;different!!!8217; to try.

Hope everyone is well..
  • silvasava
    Chanie - how about a list of 40 things to do in the year that you've never done before? Can be really simple things like trying ice skating or going on the London Eye or having a massage?
    Alternative places to visit - Istanbul - the gateway between East and West.
    Scandinavia is expensive as they have quite a high standard of living so suggest you check this out first.
    Dubai - sun sea sand and shopping
    Rhodes - lovely walled city and the outer town and harbour are lovely
    Italy - anywhere! But Im biased as it's my favourite country.
    I'm sure there will be many more suggestions :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure