Who should pay the bill? Backdated water bill

Options
Hello,

So my ex up and left me with a baby and dissabled child 3 months ago. I stayed in the house amd he continued to pay most of the utilities, which were due to be slowly tranfered to me.
Last week he said he was going to cancel all the bills within the week. I asked if he could hold off till after Christmas but he refused.

So today I get a bill from Severn trent through the door addressed to me for a backdated bill starting from 3 months ago (the day he left).

My question is, surely upto last week he was responsible for this bill as it was under his name and he had agreed to pay it? I know he doesnt live here amymore but his letters still come here amd he owns the house.

Doea anyone know if I can contest this bill?

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Racmozz wrote: »
    Hello,

So my ex up and left me with a baby and dissabled child 3 months ago. I stayed in the house amd he continued to pay most of the utilities, which were due to be slowly tranfered to me.
    Last week he said he was going to cancel all the bills within the week. I asked if he could hold off till after Christmas but he refused.

So today I get a bill from Severn trent through the door addressed to me for a backdated bill starting from 3 months ago (the day he left).

My question is, surely upto last week he was responsible for this bill as it was under his name and he had agreed to pay it? I know he doesnt live here amymore but his letters still come here amd he owns the house.

Doea anyone know if I can contest this bill?

Yes you can contest it. ;)

Have you spoken to your ex about it? Because if he agreees he will pay for it, it may be a lot easier to let him just pay it, as the water won't care who pays the bill - as long as it is paid

Have you thought about how the supplier got your name, to put the bill in your name?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The resident is generally liable, you are the resident. What you agreed between yourselves will be of no interest to the water co. Some water cos report to the credit reference agencies so unless you want your credit file trashed you need to get this paid, hopefully ex will do the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure