Nationwide refer a friend - are they up to dodgy tricks?

Hi,
I did the refer a friend which seemed to be working fine and my friend's account was switching. Then out of the blue yesterday they got 2 emails saying "sorry you decided to cancel your switch", followed by 2 emails saying "thanks for switching" - the new one with of course a new switch reference.

I assume this means I need to do the whole refer a friend thing again as the switch number changed and the first refer was already underway.

Just wondered if this has happened to others. Seems like they're trying to wriggle out of paying the incentive. Especially as no cancellation was undertaken by my friend at all...
Let me Google that for you...

Comments

• EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just wondered if this has happened to others. Seems like they're trying to wriggle out of paying the incentive. .

I've not heard of this happening to anybody else, so it's probably just a glitch in the system somewhere. Why not ring and ask them about it?

To accuse Nationwide of trying to wriggle out of paying the incentive is a complete over-reaction. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people have been paid out, including me and my friend who recommended me and many other people on this forum.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Why not ring and ask them about it?
    They'd presumably only discuss it with OP's friend but agreed, this is the obvious thing for him/her to do!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We had no problem at all.it was my wife and I recommended each other got 2 lots of cash each.
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Nationwide - and banks in general, actually - have better things to do than to deliberately p*ss off their customers, incurring complaints which have to be reported to the FCA and potential FOS fees, to save a couple of hundred quid on switching incentives that they generally market to the public with a lot of fanfare.

The paranoia of some people amazes me.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Was just asking if anyone else had had this happen really. The aggression of some people amazes me.
    Let me Google that for you...
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Was just asking if anyone else had had this happen really. The aggression of some people amazes me.
    If you make unfounded accusations of dirty tricks ("seems like they're trying to wriggle out of paying the incentive"), then don't be surprised if you get replies telling you that you're wrong.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Was just asking if anyone else had had this happen really. The aggression of some people amazes me.

I dont see any agression just posters disagreeing with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure