1 year old car fire. Total loss after garage repair :(

Hi

I’m totally baffled. Basically 3 weeeks ago I was driving my car and noticed smoke (2017 Ateca) I pulled over, no warning from car, and it was on fire. I’d been driving for 3 mins and had picked the car up from the SEAT dealer where it was repaired (turbo) only 2 days before. And driven no more than 10miles between then.

This was a really scary experience. As the breaks had failed too, then I had to watch my car burn. Luckily I’m ok.

I called recovery and then the insuers as instructed by fire service.

I visited the CityGate dealer on the Monday (this happened sat afternoon) and explained what happened and showed them pictures. I asked to see the documents from the repair but they refused. And told me I needed to deal with this via my insurers and they would help where they could.

After lots of chasing and citygate still refusing to hand over original documents only an invoice written 10 days after.

SEAT have not been helpful at all. The finance company have given me a settlement figure. And insurers are happy to pay that minus my excess £500. So far the insurers aren’t disclosing if they will Persu seat for the costs. So I could be left with a bad mark against my name and. £500 short. They also have yet to confirm doing a fire report. Despite saying they would... the case has changed hands, due to someone leaving.

I’ve asked them not to settle the claim as I’m Confused wether I can make a claim via consumer rights. I spoke to CAB and they advised I do. And gave me some words to write but I’m still at a loss as to where to start.

I called the finance company and they said they have a complaint already from me and I can expect a response within 8 weeks. They have also taken it up with citygate.

Also importantly I want to be safe in the knowledge As to wether this an issue with the ATECA model ie a manufacturering fault. Or it was poor workmanship with the turbo repair.

My bets on the latter.

Anyway any advice appreciated. I don’t know where to start with the letter.

Thanks for getting this far

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why go all private detective? You've handed to your insurer so let them deal with it. It's what you pay them for.
  • elise5985
    elise5985 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Because I!!!8217;m going to be out of pocket. My insurance is going to rise. This wasn!!!8217;t my fault. Should i state the obvious. That!!!8217;s why I!!!8217;m in the consumer section.

And so far the insurers are not helping with the above.

Thanks
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did you take out GAP insurance?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    elise5985 wrote: »
    ...This wasn't my fault....
    And it may not be negligence on the part of the garage (though it does look rather suspecious).

I think all you can do is keep chasing the insurance company. And put a report in to DVSA. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You decide what avenue you want to pursue .

Via Courts but you will need real evidence and it may cost .

Via Insurance company who will deal with it all . £500 excess you may be able to claim that back .Your so called black mark is on record even if insurers do not carry on with the claim .

Get an independent insurance claims Loss Assessor to take up your case .

<Loss Assessors work for you, the policyholder. They are independent professionals who are employed by you to protect your interests..
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Did you take out GAP insurance?

Hmmmm let me guess...
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What documents are you expecting the garage to have to hand over. I have only ever had a invoice/ receipt in not sure what else you would expect them to have
  • elise5985
    Garage have documents from work on the day, the invoice was written long after.

Gap insurance not needed (payout more than finance request) but thanks for your assumptions

Thanks for advice from those able to give
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    elise5985 wrote: »
    Garage have documents from work on the day, the invoice was written long after.

Gap insurance not needed (payout more than finance request) but thanks for your assumptions

Thanks for advice from those able to give

What documents do you think the garage has? They will have receipts for any parts they need to buy in (if any) and a job card. Thats it.
  • elise5985
    All they have given is an invoice and that has take 2 weeks. And they already knew about the issue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure