Getting a cat in a leasehold flat?

Hi everyone,

Partner & I have just bought a leasehold 2br flat in Canary Wharf (not a new build, a 20-something building). I really really want to get a cat but I am not sure how to approach it.

The lease states verbatim: "12. Not to keep any bird dog reptile or other pet or animal whatsoever (whether domesticated or not) in or on the Demised Premises without the previous written consent in writing of the Landlord such consent will be revocable at will by the Landlord by notice in writing and provided further that nothing herein contained or implied shall in any way restrict any other covenants and obligations herein contained."

To me, this suggests that they will give permission when it is requested, presuming it's reasonable and I don't want, say, a great dane in a studio flat. I was thinking perhaps explaining that the cat would come from a reputable breeder, be indoors only, etc, would help my case. Essentially they're trying to avoid 1. damage to the property and 2. bothering the other tenants.

Has anyone gone through this? Any advice on my rights and the best way to go about obtaining permission is appreciated.

Comments

• Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 6 July 2018 at 2:13PM
    If permission is given, you may find you have to pay a "pet deposit" - our rental agent charges about £200 for a pet deposit. If you also state that you will provide the cat with enough toys and scratching posts etc, this will prevent any potential damage by the cat, and that you will ensure it doesn't bother the neighbours etc.
  • erato
    erato Posts: 4 Newbie
    Ah is your reply specific to renting? We have purchased so I think it may be a bit different. We stand to loose more than just a home, but a huge amount of money invested within it should we break any rules. We also don't have inspections thank god!
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    All you can do is request, and see what the response is.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2018 at 3:17PM
    I think you need to bear in mind that you are always going to be at the mercy of the neighbours. And they vary, greatly. You might get one who loves cats or one who can't stand the sight of them and will complain to the landlord at the first loud meow. And the landlord still retains the power to require you to remove the cat. They do tend to go for the quiet life, too.

I don't think whether or not you get it from a reputable breeder is relevant. A cat is a cat and, until you get it, you'll have no idea of whether or not it is a race round the house at 4.30 am yowling (like mine) moggie or one who sleeps most of the time, quite happily.

As Rubik says all you can do is ask. If you get permission, it might well be a good idea to go to a rescue and see if they have a maybe older, used to being indoors cat. Perhaps, less likely to kick off - especially when you are out
  • Blondetotty
    Blondetotty Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I had (have) a leasehold shared ownership property in Southampton that my sister now "rents" from me. I contacted my Housing Association as I had a very similar term in my lease and they confirmed they were happy for me to have a cat/s. I had 1 outdoor cat (well, he came and went but was never in communal areas on his own, he used to come through my ground floor bedroom window!), my sister now has 2 indoor cats. An upstairs flat approached the same HA a few months ago apparently and they agreed she could have an indoor rabbit. No muss, no fuss. Just put the request in writing and see what they say. My HA Officer said it was mostly to avoid having large noisy dogs that potentially fouled in communal areas and created aggro more than indoor pets. As long as you're not planning on buying a Lion Cub I'd hope they would be okay with your request.
  • erato
    erato Posts: 4 Newbie
    That's good to hear! I hope things go as smoothly as they did for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure