Equifax Trial offer

Comments

• wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They haven!!!8217;t, I requested one three days in a row (as I was checking to see if M&S had processed my application).

If you log on now it still should offer you one for free.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,235 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For Call Credit there is Noddle
    For Equifax there is ClearScore

It's just Experian where a statutory report would be needed.
  • masonic wrote: »
    For Call Credit there is Noddle
    For Equifax there is ClearScore

It's just Experian where a statutory report would be needed.

For Experian there is MSE Credit Club.

All three credit agencies are covered.
  • And when you cancel the “Lite” service you’ll lose access to the free report as well.

Hence just stick with ClearScore
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I lost all confidence in Equifax when they wrote to me last year to tell me they had a security breach and they had revealed my name, DoB and telephone number in a cyberattack (in the USA as I recall). They did seem quite proud not to have lost my address. They offered me access to Equifax Protect/WebDefend to monitor my account (I have never had a formal agreement with them) which required me to disclose, you've guessed it, my address
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ColdIron wrote: »
    I lost all confidence in Equifax when they wrote to me last year to tell me they had a security breach and they had revealed my name, DoB and telephone number in a cyberattack (in the USA as I recall). They did seem quite proud not to have lost my address. They offered me access to Equifax Protect/WebDefend to monitor my account (I have never had a formal agreement with them) which required me to disclose, you've guessed it, my address
    Did the addresses in question belong to equifax data subjects or equifax data subjects who were also equifax customers. i.e. equifax members accessing their credit report.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Did the addresses in question belong to equifax data subjects or equifax data subjects who were also equifax customers. i.e. equifax members accessing their credit report.
    Both. Some people who had never even heard of Equifax received letters saying that various items of their data file had been compromised.

I had previously signed up for the 30 day free trial (in 2014) and received a letter. However, as a result I received free access to their Equifax Protect product. This gives me unlimited access to my full credit report which is updated on demand. It also gives me a weekly email alerts if anything has changed.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You can read about it here

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2017/09/massive-equifax-data-breach---what-you-need-to-know
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 23 June 2018 at 4:45PM
    ColdIron wrote: »

Before posting my previous post, I read about it here:
    http://www.itpro.co.uk/data-breaches/29418/equifax-data-breach-equifax-admits-even-more-data-was-stolen-than-previously/page/0/2

and here:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-41575188
    According to both those sources and the link you posted:
    With UK consumers, the information which may have been accessed is limited to:

Names
    Dates of birth
    Email addresses
    Telephone numbers
    Equifax says no UK consumers had residential addresses, passwords or financial data accessed.
    (the BBC website link also mentions driving license numbers and Equifax membership details, such as usernames and passwords were compromised)
    In your previous post (#26) you said:
    (I have never had a formal agreement with them) which required me to disclose, you've guessed it, my address

So, I'm thinking, both you and Equifax cannot be correct. Either addresses were compromised or they wern't. Even if they were, I'm wondering how not being a equifax member (for accessing credit reports) would have decreased your chances of the address being exposed. Have you got anything concrete on this?

Don't get me wrong, it's a major security bungle. I'm just trying to get to the crux of how you came to your conclusions.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    So, I'm thinking, both you and Equifax cannot be correct. Either addresses were compromised or they wern't.

Both ColdIron and the quote you posted says address weren't compromised though? Where does it say Equifax say addresses were?

In fact, you even emboldened your quote that says this.
    Equifax says no UK consumers had residential addresses, passwords or financial data accessed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure