Camping with Gitdog?

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    If git dog is a typical staffie will he not want to snuggle up in your sleeping bag with you?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    English Bull terrier cross. And I'm sure he'd be overjoyed at the prospect.

However as a) I have a no dogs in bedrooms rule at home and b) he's got all the manners and subtlety of a steam roller, I'm slightly less enthused.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • w06
    he sounds like a short version of my two! Personal space what's that?!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unless you're planning on wild camping, you'd probably find that neighbours would come to your assistance if you were struggling with the tent.

But, whatever you do, practice beforehand and make sure you've got all the bits. A friend bought a bell tent online and when it arrived there were no pegs, without which you can't put a bell tent up securely!!!

Actually, if it weren't for the difficulty of erecting it single handed, a bell tent would be ideal for you and Gitdog. Plenty of space to demarcate your 'bedroom' from his.

To make up for the nasturtiums I cast earlier, can't you train Gitdog to help? Bring you pegs when you need them? Hold a guy rope taut while you deal with another?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • w06
    [or gather up all the pegs, including those key ones holding the thing taught, and chew through the no longer taught guy ropes]

there's those nasty nasturtions again
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    elsien wrote: »
    Gitdog is unlikely to be a delight in the countryside.

But there's more fresh air for the farts to dissipate into. :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Sorry to "rain on your parade, but there's no such thing as fairweather camping in England! You might think there is, you might hope there is, but there ain't...
    rgds,
    Mr S
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    On a camp site there will be people walking about late at night and early morning.

One we stayed in had climbers/walkers passing to the toilet/shower block as early as 4am.

Then there will be those who are late bedders.

Is Gitdog likely to bark at them if he is in the car?

Plenty of people camp successfully with dogs but you do have to consider other campers.
  • I've had mixed results camping with my dog. After the first trip was a bit of a disaster I nearly didn't try again, but was much better when I went a few weeks ago :)

I made lots of allowances for her weirdness this time :D such as having a double width camping chair so she could sit/lie next to me like she does on the sofa at home - she is a rescue who feels too vulnerable to sleep at ground level :( and I did pop her in the car when I needed to go to the loo - 5 minutes max and it wasn't sunny at the time. She slept in the tent with me though - she needs a wee break at night now she's getting on a bit.

The campsite we stayed at had a wide variety of other dogs and breeds. Plenty of staffies and mixes. As mine isn't particularly friendly with other dogs, I had to be a bit watchful that other people didn't approach with their dogs under the misapprehension she would be ok with that - but everyone I met was very understanding. All dogs had to be on a lead at all times on the site, which helped a lot!

Fortunately, mine isn't vocal at all. It's literally been years since I last heard her bark. A few of the other dogs at the site could be heard occasionally, but nothing that lasted more than a few seconds and never at night - probably wouldn't go down well with other campers if there is a very barky dog there.

I'm already planning my next trip now - investing in a posh inflatable tent (that can easily be done by 1 person) which will also make things easier I think.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    So sorry, I read Gitdog & camping lol tears are flowing. You could write a book tho on that alone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure