Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    For once I followed my plan fairly well. All except change Mums bed because I went to B & M for her.
    At school one of the Mums returned £20 to me as an overpayment from Brownies. She gave it to me after school so I didn’t get it before I did the food shopping.
    I had also cashed in my Euros because I decided I wanted to use cash and not the bank balance as it is low.
    I re-checked the credit card and found the balance transfer had finally reached its destination. I promptly cancelled the DD and telephoned the bank to stop it going out tomorrow. So the £100 showing as pending will now not transfer. I have upped the DD of the remaining card accordingly.
    I spend £30.37 in Aldi, £2.49 on a dustpan and brush in B & M, and naughty for DGD I bought her a McD £6.08 as she had an ice cream too.
    I took down the Christmas tree, but it was too heavy for me to get it back in the attic. Hopefully BF will help tomorrow. I put him off from coming today as I knew I was going to be all over the place. I collected the laptop from Biggests so this evening I could do the HMRC and accounts.
    After collecting Dgd at 3.15 Biggest messaged me that DS and his little family were at hers, so Dgd and I went straight there. (That’s why she got a McD!) I ate leftovers.
    So lots of little things ticked off the list. But I am tired now, and didn’t get the vaccuming done. I will have to do that in the morning.
    Back to the shop tomorrow.
    Saturday girl has given her notice (not surprised).
    Looks like it’s going to be all change again soon then.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mooloo wrote: »
    Saturday girl has given her notice (not surprised).
    Looks like it’s going to be all change again soon then.
    I know I bang on about this at fairly regular intervals, but it's crucial when you're employing staff that you have clear contracts and ways of doing things. So they know what you're paying, what hours they work, and how much leave they get. If there's flexibility, you set out what notice each party will give the other - but you don't have to be terribly flexible.

And it sounds as if you also need a formal way of booking holiday - we have to complete a form and get it signed by our manager, but before I complete the form I put it in my diary and email the colleagues I work most closely with. That gives them a chance to say "did you realise I'm off then too?"

But until my manager has signed that form, my leave has not been booked. And generally, I'm required to give two weeks' notice.

You may not need a form, but I think you do need a record of some kind: staff asked for these days off, I said yes / no. And you need that for biggest as well as for non-family staff!!!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I know I bang on about this at fairly regular intervals, but it's crucial when you're employing staff that you have clear contracts and ways of doing things. So they know what you're paying, what hours they work, and how much leave they get. If there's flexibility, you set out what notice each party will give the other - but you don't have to be terribly flexible.

And it sounds as if you also need a formal way of booking holiday - we have to complete a form and get it signed by our manager, but before I complete the form I put it in my diary and email the colleagues I work most closely with. That gives them a chance to say "did you realise I'm off then too?"

But until my manager has signed that form, my leave has not been booked. And generally, I'm required to give two weeks' notice.

You may not need a form, but I think you do need a record of some kind: staff asked for these days off, I said yes / no. And you need that for biggest as well as for non-family staff!!!

I do have a contract I gave out in the beginning. I do have a planner etc on the wall, and ask for a months notice. It just isn’t being adhered too!
    Biggest is Self Employed, as she has several clients and a small business of her own. We negotiated her hours a month at a time, with the obvious flexible hours needed for her children school Holiday or sick.

I will have a new contract drawn up for any future staff.
    I will be looking forward to becoming more of a boss and less of a friend!, it’s just been difficult for me to transfer from being a cottage industry to a business woman!

I have a lot of changes to make in my self as well as my business!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Well the first day back was steady. We were working on the paperwork, trying to iron out a few anomalies. I managed to see the accountant, and he is going to file my accounts tomorrow.
    I will need to contact the Council tomorrow to ask for an extension to their date as he said it will be a week before he can produce a letter for them once HMRC give him a reply.

I am going to look at a different account system as I have had too many problems with the package I have. He is happy for me to do a basic accounts book. As I like pen and paper it may be better for me to do that.
    Or at least that or a basic spreadsheet.
    Wondering if I can adapt one of the Excel ones I have used for the household budget. I shall have a chat with Biggest as she was trying to get to grips with it for me this morning.

We had two collections from last year, and 5 jobs in today.
    I only managed to sew three jobs as I was concentrating on other things.
    Tomorrow I have a days worth of sewing there, but I currently don’t have enough for Monday when Seamstress returns, unless I hold back on the Sewing and work on television reorganising the Shop, etc to be fair I must get the Christmas window cleaned and a new window done.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Another NSD!
    Biggest had to bring DGD2 with her today as she was unwell. So I took in sandwich etc for her too, so we still stayed out of the shop.
    I didn’t start to Sew until around 11.
    I had one pair of curtains to shorten, and then a child’s tie to make, and belt loops to add to some trousers. I was holding back work so Seamstress can have something to do on Monday.
    At 3pm I started to make some tote bags from a piece of fabric that was donated to us this morning. Then I spent two hours contacting people about the Sewing lessons etc to try and get more attendants this year.
    I decided to close my Santander account s. They only had a few £ in each and I used it to pay off the credit card transactions that had slipped through from holiday.
    I then wrote to the bank to cancel them all.
    I will probably change my Co-op account too. But I need to contact The Social Services to change details for the Guardians allowance first.
    I don’t think I really need different accounts anymore, I will try to keep a spreadsheet about what is what instead.
    We found the anomaly in the accounts. When we closed last years accounts we had a huge bill from the Sewing Patterns on the books, but the credit note didn’t arrive until the start of the new financial year after the Patterns had been returned.
    I forgot to call the Council, so my claim will be suspended now. I will call on Monday. Make an appointment to see them if necessary.
    I don’t think that I will claim anymore. It’s too much hassle. I will aim to do some decluttering selling to try and cover it instead.
  • Mooloo wrote: »
    I don’t think that I will claim anymore. It’s too much hassle. I will aim to do some decluttering selling to try and cover it instead.

A good way to get on with the selling Mooloo is to actually schedule time for it in your diary, otherwise it is one of those jobs that never happens.
    So when you sit down and plan you coming week, ring fence 2 hours in a morning or afternoon to get some stuff advertised. I would suggest you set yourself small targets of 3 items photographed and listed.If this proves sucessful, schedule time to do another 3 every week.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Savvy_sewing
    A good way to get on with the selling Mooloo is to actually schedule time for it in your diary, otherwise it is one of those jobs that never happens.
    So when you sit down and plan you coming week, ring fence 2 hours in a morning or afternoon to get some stuff advertised. I would suggest you set yourself small targets of 3 items photographed and listed.If this proves sucessful, schedule time to do another 3 every week.

Sounds like a plan!

We had a great day at work today. Lots of jobs in, Sewing classes booked, Roman blinds to make, and other random makes. I feel happy that we have enough work for the Seamstress on Monday and Tuesday.
    I have cut out, and nearly finished 16 bags, made from the fabric donated yesterday. I will do the handles on Monday.

We are at BFs tonight but his daughter and the baby have moved in, we seem to be baby sitting as she’s gone to work. ( she is stopping at work tonight, but don’t know what will happen in the long run
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,258 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Would you mind popping up a picture of the bags?
    Thanks.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    I will have to reserect an old account for photos to be able to do that, will look into it when I finish the bags.
    I am just making quick bags to use instead of carrier bags. With a recycled by Mooloo on them.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,258 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Would buy one :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure