Free mobile voice, text and data plans coming to UK ( Freedompop )

Options

Comments

• Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    TY OP ror the heads up firstly!

...that's "funny"...
    ordered in accordance to the FREE offer, entered card details, showed £0.00
    and received invoice for £1.99 order?
    (will check bank account later, if they didnt steal anything)
    Based on census here might be problematic start, but willing to test-run it own-self, will post back with findings!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    grayme-m wrote: »
    So it would be better on 3G than Wi-Fi?

I put their SIM into the first slot and my main one in the second.

I'm not going to buy a new phone that allows 3G data on both SIMs at the same time for something that was only going to be a backup SIM.

The FreedomPop sim is a Three sim, it will only work if it's put into a phone or sim slot that can work on at least 3G. Three actually block your use if you try and use a 2G phone on their network.

You could always put the sim into an old 3G phone and just use the app for calls and texts on your Android phone.
    ====
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not going to buy a new phone that allows 3G data on both SIMs at the same time for something that was only going to be a backup SIM.

There is no such thing, as per my previous post on the thread.

Doubly so in fact: no phone allows 3g on both SIMs at once, and no phone allows data on both SIMs at once.
  • grayme-m
    grayme-m Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    redux wrote: »

Doubly so in fact: no phone allows 3g on both SIMs at once, and no phone allows data on both SIMs at once.

I know, my phone did allow 3G on either (but not both) SIMs and given that this service is over data, it just didn't work out.
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    redux wrote: »

There is at least 1 that allows both sims to utilise a 3G connection (only 1 chosen for data, obviously), at least according to a review and a user who posted that he had confirmed it on Digital Spy, from memory it was the flagship Kingzone model. There was another model that the manufacturer claimed as well, but I can't remember the make and don't feel like searching the last years worth of posts at DS for confirmation.
    ====
  • redux
    edited 30 October 2015 at 9:01PM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    There is at least 1 that allows both sims to utilise a 3G connection (only 1 chosen for data, obviously), at least according to a review and a user who posted that he had confirmed it on Digital Spy, from memory it was the flagship Kingzone model. There was another model that the manufacturer claimed as well, but I can't remember the make and don't feel like searching the last years worth of posts at DS for confirmation.

As I already said, some phones have which is to be the 3g SIM selectable in the phone settings.

But having 3g simultaneous on both is supposedly not possible for reasons which I've seen explained but I won't state here as I didn't follow all the technical details. It would probably also apply to having 2 separate phones right next to each other in the same pocket - they interfere which each other's signals.
  • redux
    edited 30 October 2015 at 9:10PM
    Options
    I know, my phone did allow 3G on either (but not both) SIMs and given that this service is over data, it just didn't work out.

I have a similar dilemma. Toggle and EE SIMs in my phone so far, with a small (but adequate for me) amount of free data on the EE SIM.

With Freedom Pop SIM now, I may end up with the Toggle in a separate phone, or the EE SIM in a 3g with router.

My Android phone is fairly cheap, and the 3g performance not quite as good as it might be, so that affects the decision.
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    Damn it, they did charge me £1.99, they DID store my card details and I still don't have the SIM...
    Not a good start, before even using it... :/
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 November 2015 at 10:43AM
    Options
    Earlier, I mentioned deductions in my data balance. Checking today, I see some spurious calls:
    # Date Time Number called Min Type Total Charge
    117315556 29-Oct-2015 10:44 447940****** 0 Standard 0.00
    117315530 29-Oct-2015 10:42 447940****** 1 Standard 0.00
    117315061 29-Oct-2015 10:13 447920****** 1 Standard 0.00
    117315046 29-Oct-2015 10:12 447940****** 1 Standard 0.00
    115718660 15-Oct-2015 19:12 44778*333123 1 Standard 0.00
    114588226 06-Oct-2015 16:59 44778*333123 0 Standard 0.00
    I do not remember calling these numbers! :eek:

(I have replaced some digits with *.)

MAJOR EDIT: I do recognise the first 4 calls - see post #93.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's the P&P fee.

You can log into the account and stop auto topup fairly easily.

Will give it the benefit of a doubt but has a tiny box to covert to the base option before the end of the free period ;).
    Atasas wrote: »
    Damn it, they did charge me £1.99, they DID store my card details and I still don't have the SIM...
    Not a good start, before even using it... :/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport