HBOS bank account that won't die

I had a student account with HBOS that I opened some time around 2003.

I asked them to close the account in 2012 and thought it was closed until 2013 when I received a replacement debit card. I returned the card to the branch and was assured that the account was closed.

In 2015 HBOS wrote to me telling me they owed me money from PPI on a credit card, as I didn't have a HBOS account I had to take ID to a branch and they gave me it in cash so imagine my surprise when the account appeared on my credit file today!

The issue is now I can't prove I am who I say I am. I've been married and moved home twice since I last had that account. I have no documentation relating to HBOS as I lost a box of stuff in one of the house moves and didn't bother with the HBOS stuff as I don't deal with Halifax or Lloyd's and never intend on banking with them again.

So what can I do? I want the account closed but how can I go about doing so? I can't even remember the account number?

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Have you asked them to do a search on the name you open the account with, your date of birth and maybe the town where you had the account
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Oh and also MSE have a guide on searching for lost bank accounts you can Google it you fill in your details at least as much as you can remember and there will be a search to see if there are any accounts in your name at least you might then get an account and sort code
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do you know who the account was actually with - Bank of Scotland or Halifax? HBOS never provided banking facilities...

Anyway, if you have proof of your current details (e.g driving licence) plus wedding certificate to prove change of name then that should be sufficient
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It was a bank of scotland account
  • GlasweJen
    Just to update on this, I used the account finder which kicked back that the account doesn't exist so I once again emailed HBOS with a screenshot of the credit report and the report from account finder asking them what they're playing at and they replied saying the account doesn't exist but they won't stop reporting it on my credit file - go figure.

Now they are reporting it green so it's not all bad but that's not the bloody point.

So I emailed the FOS with a complaint and finally the bank are wanting to hear my complaint, I've had 4 missed calls (all at work) asking me to contact them so they can deal with me issue, why couldn't they have sorted it out in the last 4 years? The best of it is I remembered the account number the last time I emailed them and they still swore blind that it doesn't exist.

Breathing deeply before I phone them back. I'm remembering why I closed the account in the first place.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You should be able to prove your ID with your marriage certificate showing your maiden name. As for address, they should all be listed on your credit report under previous addresses.
  • GlasweJen
    The FOS said they don't need me to prove who I am as it's documented in the records that I changed my name by marriage or something, they're dealing with that.

Couldn't understand a word of the voicemail left by the BOS employee, mumbled the whole way through the message and the only thing I can make out is "bank of scotland" and half a phone number - excellent.

I've emailed their customer services asking them to try contacting me again but this time to speak slowly and clearly so I can actually understand who is trying to get hold of me. I really wish I'd never joined up with them in the first place they are a shower of incompetents.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Who is it that you are 'e-mailing' as HBOS don't do banking and most of the back office staff will be working across all BOS, Halifax and Lloyds brands.

If you have issues, you'd probably be better using old paper and pen then dropping it off into a BOS or Halifax branch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure