Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Comments

• DO NOT:mad: USE GOLDCAR ......IF YOU DO YOU WILL PAY!!! i have been using goldcar for over 15 years and have always taken out there insurance! this is how the story goes.

I picked up my car from alicante multi storey as i always have done for all the years that i have been going there. on this occasion they were very short staffed, i checked over the car and there were several scratches that were not on the release form to me, i went inside where the queue was 10 deep in people, i managed to get the attention of the person that i know there after hiring every three weeks, i expressed my concerns to be told its ok carry on , i thought well ok as i do know them well. Guess what happened next i receive some photos and a bill for £950 euros which they deducted from my card straight away, yes you got it its a scam, they rent out there cars for peanuts and then rob the client. I expressed my disappointment chased them and chased them until i received a message telling me to read there conditions!! Well thanks GOLDCAR you are total rip off merchants, i beg all of you who are going to use them to steer clear and use AUTOCLICK.COM, they are very honest from the word go I am warning all you people use GOLDCAR at your peril. a very P.....D off client GM
  • GARRY_M wrote: »
    DO NOT:mad: USE GOLDCAR ......IF YOU DO YOU WILL PAY!!! i have been using goldcar for over 15 years and have always taken out there insurance! this is how the story goes.

I picked up my car from alicante multi storey as i always have done for all the years that i have been going there. on this occasion they were very short staffed, i checked over the car and there were several scratches that were not on the release form to me, i went inside where the queue was 10 deep in people, i managed to get the attention of the person that i know there after hiring every three weeks, i expressed my concerns to be told its ok carry on , i thought well ok as i do know them well. Guess what happened next i receive some photos and a bill for £950 euros which they deducted from my card straight away, yes you got it its a scam, they rent out there cars for peanuts and then rob the client. I expressed my disappointment chased them and chased them until i received a message telling me to read there conditions!! Well thanks GOLDCAR you are total rip off merchants, i beg all of you who are going to use them to steer clear and use AUTOCLICK.COM, they are very honest from the word go I am warning all you people use GOLDCAR at your peril. a very P.....D off client GM

Why did you get a bill if you have always taken their insurance??
  • I fly to Mallorca regularly and usually use Avis. Unfortunately they had no cars so I booked this bunch of crooks on line, looked like a great deal which included insurance. When I arrived at their desk at Palma Airport I was informed that the insurance I had paid for was only basic and to be fully insured it would be a further 240 euros. I said I would waver this and take the basic insurance. They then told me if I went down that route I had to lodge 2000 euros by credit card which would be refunded on the return of the car subject to no damage. Then the Gold Car rep informed me that even a scratch could incur a 400 euro charge. I argued the case but the rep wasn't interested and just kept telling me that I should have read the T's & C's on page two of the online booking form. At this stage I gave up, forfeited my booking fee and got a cab...... I would warn anyone thinking of using Gold Car to avoid them at all costs, they're a rip off company.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Goldcar named on Rip of Britain holidays today on BBC. Probably the worst for ripping of customers, about time they were named and shamed on TV.
  • Gold Car in Palma, Spain are FRAUDSTERS!!! I wonder why they still have not been persecuted for their fraudulent business conduct and still remain in business.

When I came to their desk at the airport to collect the car, I spent two hours waiting to be served and then they aggressively tried to push me into buying extra insurance for the car to cover it in full for which they wanted me to pay around £200 extra.

They also wanted me to sign the contract without walking with me around the car first and confirming all the cosmetic damages, etc. I refused and for that reason I needed to go all the way to their car park to inspect the car, which I could only do from the outside as they have not accompany me to show the car's outside and inside condition (including the floor mats' condition) and the fuel level.

I marked all my findings in the paperwork and made some notes as well but they refused to accept it because of the notes, so I needed to redo it. All in all I spent around 4 hours with them before I could finally leave the airport. Outstanding service I must say.

After the rental they charged me for fuel and for valeting/cleaning. When I requested explanation they provided fake images showing dirty floor mats. When I checked the details of those images it showed that they were created the same day I requested them with no further traceable information every digital photo image holds. I have also provided them with the legal standing image proving the car was returned with the full tank.

Still no response and no refund.

Trying to dispute the transaction with my bank now..

Avoid Gold Car like a Plague!!!
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Am I the only one baffled by the fact that this thread flagged up a warning about Goldcar in 2010, since which time it's not unlikely that thousands, not merely hundreds, but thousands of complaints about Goldcar have collectively appeared all over the Internet??

The only reason it's still in business is because punters keep it in business. The two brothers who set up Goldcar must be laughing all the way to the bank at the naivety of bargain-seekers who'll fall for anything so long as it looks like being the lowest price . . .
  • Couldn't help but notice the long queue for Goldcar at Las Palmas airport when I was there the other day. It does seem unreal that in this day & age with the power of social media, forums, publicity etc. that there are so many people still unaware of how bad this company is. Even a cursory browse of the internet would be enough to raise serious concerns and question whether to do business with them.

Meanwhile, I used Autoreisen for the fifth time in two years and yet again they proved to be great value, completely honest and demonstrated outstanding customer service. Without a doubt the best car hire company I have ever used - pity they only operate in the Canaries.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    david76r wrote: »
    Couldn't help but notice the long queue for Goldcar at Las Palmas airport when I was there the other day. It does seem unreal that in this day & age with the power of social media, forums, publicity etc. that there are so many people still unaware of how bad this company is. Even a cursory browse of the internet would be enough to raise serious concerns and question whether to do business with them....

There are enough consumers who don’t know the real price of car hire.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • MY LETTER TO GOLDCAR/EXPEDIA/TRADING STANDARDS/ABTA ETC

i like many thousands of other people have been scammed by your partnership with gold car spain. i paid £109 for a car on your website i carefully read every part of the booking terms and conditions - no extra charges and clearly stating insurance and DWC was INCLUDED. The as per usual with gold car as they are the most dishonest company being allowed to trade - i get a demand at the counter to pay an extra £243.91 ! some of it apparantly for a tank of fuel that is refunded when you return the car full. Now the car i had took £30 to fill from empty to full. So why 120 Euro? also its now 13 days since i returned and i have still not been refunded. I had this same issue with gold car about 5 years ago in Gran Canaria - i honestly can't believe your still facilitating this scam - your booking confirmation is part of the problem it clearly says insurance included and DWC included ? i had a car for 1 week at £109 it has so far cost me £353! as i despite ringing Gold car 3 times still have had NO REFUND.

I am taking this to a solicitor as gold cars scam is all over the internet and many thousands of people are being affected by this - why are you allowing them to do this. every customer at the gold car desk in the airport was having the same problem - all had their rentals doubled or tripled by insurance demands - it appears gold cars reason for the scam is that expedia's insurance is not sufficient and does not cover 'tyres' when used off road? what a disgrace so its cost me an extra £253 so far. i am disgusted and very angry as a customer of expedia and i use you all the time for my trips as you can see. i have a trip to york booked for my parents as well in april which may well be cancelled if you dont help me sort this problem out asap please. thanks
  • ffs
    ffs Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Goldcar are one of the few companies that do NOT require a credit card when hiring

However, as a result they require a large debit card deposit (usually 1200 euro for the cheapest car), or their insurance package which typically costs as much again as the voucher bought through AutoEurope or whichever agent you use

So far so good, and I have had excellent customer service in Malaga and Nice

However in Madeira I was told there would be a 22% service charge deducted from the 1200 deposit, so I should take out their insurance package instead because it was roughly the same cost and I would have 'peace of mind'

I refused, and paid the deposit, much to their irritation

I complained to AutoEurope and fortunately upon returning the car the deduction from the deposit was only 70 euro - which could almost be accounted for via currency and bank charges (which was mentioned in the T&C)

This only added 30% to the cost of the voucher, so hardly a disaster

I also took the precaution of arriving early at the airport to return the car in order to be sure that the car would be inspected for the deposit return

Goldcar can work out really well, but it is obvious that some offices (is it a franchise?) have very dubious practices

So if like me your options are limited because you don't have a credit card - be careful, and take all possible precautions if you use Goldcar
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback