Cheapest Petrol & Diesel Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• qlj
    qlj Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 March 2010 at 12:02PM
    Options
    The cheapest country is Austria, where you can get a litre of diesel for 80 - 85 cents. How come their fuel is cheap and ours is expensive? In addition, Austria toll charges the motorways and makes a lot of revenue this way, but uses a fixed charge system to use the tunnels under the Austrian Alps. I remember the government in the UK talking about toll charging by the mile AS WELL AS increased fuel prices. Taxes are only taken to repay the interest to the Bank of England anyway and the government negotiates like a miser over what benefits this country should receive from all the tax revenue. Out of £38billion/year in road and fuel tax only £2billion is used in civic or social spending. Why do we take this deception from the government and their Bilderburg puppet-masters? I'm a web programmer. Do you think it's worth creating a website to organise a national protest?
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is this site (& other bits of the media) claiming that fuel prices are at a 'record high'. I've just filled up at 113.9 pence per litre (Derv; petol would have been a penny cheaper). In July 2008, my records show that I paid 130.9ppl on a couple of occasions and well over 120 for a month or two around then.

Today's price is certainly high - but NOT a record high.

Reasons for current prices are pretty obvious: crude oil is priced in dollars and the pound has dropped against the dollar considerably over the last year or so - hardly surprising when we're running the sort of budget deficit that we are. Also, the fuel duty escalator was designed to raise fuel prices faster than inflation - so why is anyone surprised when that happens ?
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Why is this site (& other bits of the media) claiming that fuel prices are at a 'record high'. I've just filled up at 113.9 pence per litre (Derv; petol would have been a penny cheaper). In July 2008, my records show that I paid 130.9ppl on a couple of occasions and well over 120 for a month or two around then.

Today's price is certainly high - but NOT a record high.

Reasons for current prices are pretty obvious: crude oil is priced in dollars and the pound has dropped against the dollar considerably over the last year or so - hardly surprising when we're running the sort of budget deficit that we are. Also, the fuel duty escalator was designed to raise fuel prices faster than inflation - so why is anyone surprised when that happens ?
    Very true but remember that the oil companies buy their oil in dollars anyway and the whole process is predicated on the same currency. Besides they bought the oil they are now selling us as fuel months ago at prices very much lower than they are now and have been stacking the tankers in bays on the south coast for weeks at a time until the price rose. The reality is that the oil companies are coining it. Forget the tax side of things that just magnifies things.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Why is this site (& other bits of the media) claiming that fuel prices are at a 'record high'.
    Yes quite.
    I have all the daily emails for diesel price in my area (Hampshire) from petrolprices.com dating back to 11 June 2008 and I can tell you:
    Peak diesel price was 135.9p per litre 15th to 22nd July 2008
    Lowest diesel price since was 97.9p per litre 5th to 9th January 2009
    Today's diesel price is 117.9p per litre

I guess journalists don't need numeracy skills then :D
  • Pikeaddict
    Options
    I've just returned from 6 weeks holiday in Florida. During my stay across the pond, regular unleaded was approximately $2.85c a gallon (ok US gallon is only 3.8 litres) and by the time I last filled up prior to leaving it was $2.55c a gallon.

How strange is this - petrol prices come down in the USA over a 6 week period BUT in the UK petrol prices rise!!!!

My Mother in law is currently in Florida and confirms petrol prices in the region of $2.50 to $2.60 a gallon.

Welcome to rip off Brittain

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Options
    Oil is priced in USD remember, so as our currency devalues relative to the dollar to cost of oil to us goes up.
  • Little_Ettchy
    Little_Ettchy Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2010 at 3:30PM
    Options
    I have a '56 plate Vauxhall Vectra estate and the 'norm' per full tank is 480 miles per tankful. However, if used wisely, the Cruise Control can ensure another 100 miles. Here's how.

Always engage your cruise control when in restricted speed zones. When driving at 30 mph, keep 3rd gear and engage your cruise control. At 40 mph, maintain 3rd gear and use the Cruise Control. Over 40 mph and up to 60 mph engage 4th gear. Over 60 mph, use 5th gear. At all times, as soon as you've changed gear and have attained the speed you want to drive at, engage the cruise Control. Driving an automatic? Whatever the speed restriction is, set your Cruise Control to that speed.

Currently, in 3rd gear, I'm getting between 60 and 70 mpg at 30 mph and ditto at 40 mph. If I'm on the flat, then it's nearer 70 mpg. At 60 mph I'm getting 70 to 75mpg. Over 70 mph, in 6th, I get about 55 mpg.

We are lucky enough to have a weekend retreat on the east coast. It's a 188 mile round trip from Leicester to the bungalow and back again. And we do the whole round trip on about 1/3rd of a tank. So use your Cruise Control whenever possible. You'll save money, guaranteed.
  • mark_morgan-smith
    Options
    OoOGazOoO wrote: »
    Thanks for the article.

Petrol is an absolute rip off, about time something was done about it by the government rather than fleecing motorists.

Just a thought and I'm not sure it would work but why don't motorists get together and boycott a particular company.... BP for example. No drivers fill up at BP garages. Perhaps if the money wasn't coming in they would have to reduce prices. :cool:
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a thought and I'm not sure it would work but why don't motorists get together and boycott a particular company.... BP for example. No drivers fill up at BP garages. Perhaps if the money wasn't coming in they would have to reduce prices. :cool:

This has been suggested a number of times over the past.

1 You will never get the motorists to boycott a particular brand. People in rural districts may only have a BP garage nearby.

2 Company cars that have an account at a particular garage will not move for the sake of it.

3 How are you going to tell 'everybody' ?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Driving an automatic? Whatever the speed restriction is, set your Cruise Control to that speed.

Currently, in 3rd gear, I'm getting between 60 and 70 mpg at 30 mph and ditto at 40 mph. If I'm on the flat, then it's nearer 70 mpg. At 60 mph I'm getting 70 to 75mpg. Over 70 mph, in 6th, I get about 55 mpg.

We are lucky enough to have a weekend retreat on the east coast. It's a 188 mile round trip from Leicester to the bungalow and back again. And we do the whole round trip on about 1/3rd of a tank. So use your Cruise Control whenever possible. You'll save money, guaranteed.

Huh, those mpgs are a pipe dream for me and my 5 series BMW !

I have a property in Portsmouth and driving from London (approx 100 mls) I always put on the cruise control. However it is far cheaper to take the Greyhound Bus or Megabus (train) if I plan it in advance !
    Thank you for reading this message.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport