Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,862Posts
    • 172,532Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Page 76
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 29,862 Posts
    • 172,532 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya! Yes, I was actually more concerned that both my kindle and my phone were switched into flight mode

Done most of the washing, lots more house-sale chat, and thats about it, haven't even been stacking my dishwasher and oops, my sister's coming to my house tomorrow to do house sale contract stuff.
    at the state of the house!
    Never mind, she won't disown me But I have to get a grip, the second half of the month has a fair amount of admin to get done.
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Oct 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,221 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hiya! Yes, I was actually more concerned that both my kindle and my phone were switched into flight mode
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    We had to do a 'go around' on the flight I'm thinking of - they landed by laser beam and we were told to turn everything off-off... Fortunately a nervous flier called the air stewardess when the idiot in front of her thought that the rules didn't apply to him.... seriously, what is the matter with some people?! (And then my MIL blamed my FIL for the whole experience.... it did make me laugh, how it was his fault, I've truly no idea! )

at the state of the house!
    Never mind, she won't disown me But I have to get a grip, the second half of the month has a fair amount of admin to get done.
    You're right, she won't disown you - don't let it stress you out!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Oct 18, 2:50 PM
    • 29,862 Posts
    • 172,532 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, madvix, I've never landed by laser beam - that sounds *very* interesting. And your FiL must be extremely powerful to affect the whole experience, yes

I did have a go-round at Victoria Falls Airport in Zimbabwe - there were wild pigs on the runway

Sister was fine, of course and had brought along some clothes she's disposing of - notably summer trousers, she really doesn't *do* them, but had bought them in a distracted moment. We did a lot of work reading through documents, talking them through on the phone, then signing .... shattered now! I'm going to have another cup of coffee, a lot of achievements today, including arranging a last trip up to Merseyside, to say goodbye to the house. Not a childhood home, but still, my mum and dad moved there back in 1987, so not nothing.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Oct 18, 10:54 AM
    • 29,862 Posts
    • 172,532 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning! I did a lot of clearing and tidying, and a lot of admin work yesterday, partly because of the supermarket delivery, but mostly around the holiday and selling the house. Plus making a stopgap CD of family photos for nephews that are expressing interest in family history, yay!!!

Finances
    - Been doing a few YG surveys - I'm now up to 3350 points

- SB - I do what I can, but I've stopped chasing, though if there's something on tv I'm only half watching, I may experiment with SB searches to get more points

- Bought a train ticket to go say goodbye to the house - instead of the Advance tickets, which would've been £8 cheaper, I bought flexible ones - it just feels safer, given my health, I feel very tired.

- Problem with chia seeds - I bought a bulk pack, as they were something I felt I *should* eat, eg in porridge, and I had to throw the porridge away it tasted like dirt! Does anyone use chia? Any good websites or tips I should know about?

- interesting little note from Amazon Web Services in the post - they're trying to pay me money but my bank details are out of date. I do remember entering my bank details for a second time when I joined the Web Services arm, as opposed to the customer arm, and I doubt I updated them when my bank changed my account number on me, so I'd better see to that.

- £12 voucher used on most recent supermarket delivery

- 123reg have renewed a domain name I didn't want renewed I've put a ticket in, but I'm not hopeful. They've done it before, and did refund it, but we'll see. If they don't, I'll tell them I'm moving, and I'll follow up. It wipes out that supermarket voucher, so not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but they're *deeply* untrustworthy, in my experience.
    Retired August 2016
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 18th Oct 18, 3:06 PM
    • 16,647 Posts
    • 109,917 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I blitz chia seeds with some others (golden linseed, sesame, pumpkin and sunflower). It breaks the kernels which otherwise come out the other end similar to how they went in . I add a tablespoon of the mix to granola on yogurt so they stay crunchy. Don't think they would be good 'wet' as you've found out. Alternatively you could add a spoonful to fruit just before eating. I think I also had some on soup, but 'balanced' on a spoonful of Greek yogurt so they weren't submerged in the soup.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 18th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 22,125 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I love that you are saying goodbye to the house. When my parents moved to Scotland I waved them off on the doorstep of the family home and then went round and mentally noted all the special places and memories. It was devoid of furniture. Then I locked up and took my keys to the estate agent for the next family. Happy days.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 94.29% after Q10 ahead of where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after August 78.83% £7,883.47/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,530.09/£3,000 including stores 51% of my annual budget at the end of August.
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Oct 18, 10:44 PM
    • 29,862 Posts
    • 172,532 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you both

Gally, I'll experiment with that tomorrow at some stage, thank you. Erm, I just realised what you meant about why you needed to blitz the kernels

SL, yes, I think its important to see it for the last time and *know* that I'm seeing it for the last time. And maybe go to the beach and see the red squirrels - I'll be travelling to the other shore of the Mersey in future, I doubt we'll bother going to this town again.

Really tired today after all the stuff I did yesterday, so after I worked on getting the rubbish and recycling dealt with, all I've done is prepare to send out 3 birthday cards this week, and the sets of genealogy info - just going back to my grandparents for this short-and-sweet-summary, even their birth-dates are quite a long time ago now

Sleep well, all
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 18, 3:47 PM
    • 29,862 Posts
    • 172,532 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Afternoon all

I had to delay the family CDs - seemed only decent to skate around a short lived marriage of one nephew, as his second wife is the one who's just given birth. Not that I want to delete the existence of the first wife either, but its still an emotional time, with a newborn there, just trying to be kind.

Also been trying to rejoin U3A and one of the history groups, which is turning a bit tricky as no-one's in - they're all out enjoying the weather how very dare they

I haven't done *anything* in the garden since I've been back, other than using the washing line ... I think I'd better have a gentle half hour out there. I *should* be researching the chia seeds, but that would mean more time on the computer, and the family CDs have taken up enough of that for today. First World problems

Hope everyone's getting a bit of air outside, it looks really beautiful now.
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 19th Oct 18, 4:10 PM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 28,705 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Afternoon all

I had to delay the family CDs - seemed only decent to skate around a short lived marriage of one nephew, as his second wife is the one who's just given birth. Not that I want to delete the existence of the first wife either, but its still an emotional time, with a newborn there, just trying to be kind.

That's very thoughtful of you, KC. There'll be plenty of other opportunities to give them the CDs

I haven't done *anything* in the garden since I've been back, other than using the washing line ... I think I'd better have a gentle half hour out there.
    Hope everyone's getting a bit of air outside, it looks really beautiful now.
    I've been giving my car a good wash and polish. It looks years younger now. I enjoyed the exercise and the sunshine although it's turning quite cool now

OH has been having a blitz on the garden and I'm not happy with him because he's cut out a lot of decaying/dead branches from a little copse we have and left a gaping gap. I know it needed doing but from my recliner in 'my' little sitting room I can now see the whole side of a really tatty old shed (which OH has been thinking about demolishing for the last umpteen years) and which was completely camouflaged by bushes and shrubs before. He was only thinking about getting rid of it because it's not fit for purpose and too much trouble and expense to repair. Needs a new roof and lots of attention to everything else. The wood is so rotten it's disintegrating. I never thought he'd actually demolish it but at least I didn't have to look at it. OH doesn't get rid of things just because they're an eyesore or not fit for purpose though. He says he likes the 'rustic' look plus won't destroy anything that is a habitat for creatures of one kind or another. I suspect all sorts of mini creatures have found a home in that shed so it might be a feature of the landscape ad infinitum
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; Yesterday at 4:19 PM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9048. Almost sub £9000 at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Oct 18, 4:17 PM
    • 57,411 Posts
    • 234,986 Thanks
    beanielou
    carbootcrazy~~eek to the shed!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 18, 6:33 PM
    • 29,862 Posts
    • 172,532 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Eek to the shed indeed! Habitat is one thing (I disturbed a nice long worm, and scattered some dead leaves to help it on its way back to the soil, for instance) but sounds like the shed's gone a bit far!

There's still 120 MB clear on this CD I'm constructing, but really, I'm done for now. I'll just check the Read Me First is okay, and tomorrow I'll be copying it to send out.

U3A have come through like champions - even though I don't have the paperwork, I'm free to go along to the meeting next Wednesday, ancient history stuff, which is what I wanted.

Line drying this afternoon - its ended up half dry, which is a lot better than nothing

I *did* do half an hour in the garden - at the front, which is often abandoned for months at a time started to saw down a very unpleasant "ornamental" shrub and lots of weeding of "ornamental" grass thats actually a weed as far as I'm concerned (thats where my worm was hiding ).

It's all good
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

2,122Users online

Martin's Twitter