Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »

The strawberries were hard, not very juicy and very acidic, they ended up in the bin.

I've had some lovely strabs from Lidl, but I find it's hit and miss with ALL supermarkets. Had some really dissapointing ones from Waitrose last week!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've not had that problem with potatoes from any of the majors. I've no experience of Lidl but I stopped buying Aldi's potatoes a long while ago. The one significant weakness (beside stock control) of Aldi remains its fresh produce. It sounds like Lidl has similar problems.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I've not had that problem with potatoes from any of the majors. I've no experience of Lidl but I stopped buying Aldi's potatoes a long while ago. The one significant weakness (beside stock control) of Aldi remains its fresh produce. It sounds like Lidl has similar problems.

Potatoes I bought from the Co-op last week were the same and the bag before, from Asda, I also had to throw some away.

But, in general, I've never had a problem with any of the fresh produce I buy in Aldi. I can't recall the last time I gad to through anything away that wasn't through my own failing, i.e. half a bag of salad leaves that had been open a week. I've still got carrots, onions and peppers in the fridge which I bought a month ago and still perfectly edible!
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

I needed some milk when I went to Lidl on Saturday, there were no 4 bottles left so I took 6 pints instead of a bottle with the latest expiry date, which was just 23rd Aug - ie tomorrow. It seems fine so far but I think I am going to make a rice pudding this evening rather than risk it curdling in my coffee. Is short-dated milk a national thing?
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

I've no idea as I don't check the date, just keep using it until it starts to go off. Just checked my latest carton and it's dated 9th August and still perfectly fresh. I don't use much milk so 2 litres will easily last me a month.

I wouldn't be concerned at all

I do look (and always buy the longest date if paying full price) but generally I already know because I almost always buy it at reduced prices on its last day.

I use my eyes, my nose, my tongue and only eventually & finally, the hot coffee test.

ONLY TODAY have I just finished the last of 20 pints (10 x 2 pints) I bought on August 4th, (DATED August 4th) in Sainsburys.

It was the blue top (full fat) - my preference in coffee, for hot chocolate, on my cornflakes, when making mashed potatoes or drinking ice cold last thing at night.

(I like semi-skimmed in tea)

Bottle number 7 went off about 5 days ago having only been opened the day before and only having used about half a pint, but the following 3 all lasted until finished.

They were all just kept in a normal fridge as usual.
    I've regularly done this for many years, generally using it for an average of over 2 weeks beyond the "recommended" date.

I think the longest ever has been 23 days.
    Depends a little on which milk and from which supplier
    I believe the consistently best performing (that also made 23 days) is Morrisons own label

This last lot has obviously only made 18 days :D

I don't always buy in such quantity, but given that they had been reduced to 1p each, 20 pints for 10p was hard to resist
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've started buying the Probiotic yogurt from L & A (lookalike to Activia), and I've been really impressed with every variety I've tried so far.

In particular, the Aldi Strawberry is very creamy with a strong hint of vanilla amongst the strawbs. The Lidl Cherry is a classic cherry flavour yogurt - a rich purple colour with lots of fruit and a really intense cherry flavour.

Lidl seems to have dropped the W5 Limescale remover. In its place a choice of Viakal, and a new cheaper spray gun "Limescale & Grime Remover". I have some Limescale and some Grime, so we shall see... ;)
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Saw a couple of wonky veg boxes in Lidl today they were placed in front of the tills so you only saw them after you had paid and we’re leaving ?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »

Lidl seems to have dropped the W5 Limescale remover. In its place a choice of Viakal, and a new cheaper spray gun "Limescale & Grime Remover". I have some Limescale and some Grime, so we shall see... ;)

That's a shame. We live in a hard water area and only today I was using Viakal on the taps and thinking it's not half as good (nor smells so nice) as the Lidl stuff. I've got the Viakal spray and the squeezy bottle with the brush. I don't think either are as effective as Lidl.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think.:)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    That's a shame. We live in a hard water area and only today I was using Viakal on the taps and thinking it's not half as good (nor smells so nice) as the Lidl stuff. I've got the Viakal spray and the squeezy bottle with the brush. I don't think either are as effective as Lidl.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think.:)

Okay, so I tried the new spray on a particularly tricky descaling job, and I was surprised by how effective it was. (It was a kitchen tap that has been dripping for a while and had left a trail of limescale on a resin sink).

The new spray doesn't fizz like the old liquid, but left for 5 minutes it had weakened a lot of the limescale so it could be wiped away. I used kitchen paper to get the liquid to stay in contact with the vertical surface. 3-4 applications over 20 minutes, and it was all gone. Great VFM at 79p.
  • Jewels1207
    Options
    I've just spent hours looking through the Aldi special buys onkine after reading a few posts here saying it was really good but was disappointed as everything I wanted was sold out!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    It's a common problem with potatoes from lots of sources right now because of the excess rain we had during spring.

Nowt to do with that at all

The main crops you are buying right now ( or the past few weeks) are stores. They have been kept in cold store since last year. Now the dry weather and the late rains mean this years main crops aren't coming out the ground as fast so we are still using last years stores ( which would all be going for processing usually and right now the price has risen from £50 a ton to over £300 ) The minute stores warm up, the sugars in them make the spuds turn black

Don't be blaming the shops, they are just trying to supply you with what you want

I had some beautiful Marie Pipers last week - from Isreal, this weeks ones were Uk and they were full of water
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure