Made A Terrible Mistake

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Pity she didn't choose to punch her cheating husband instead/as well.

After all, he was the one who stood beside her at their wedding. :whistle:

He's the one she should have been furious with.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Pity she didn't choose to punch her cheating husband instead/as well.

After all, he was the one who stood beside her at their wedding. :whistle:

He's the one she should have been furious with.

If I'd been her then it would be his bank balance that would be suffering rather than me risking a charge of assault.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If there was contact between the child & the father I'm guessing the true relationship would never be acknowledged and the father would simply be passed off as a friend of Mum's.
    Oh yes, of course. A rather special friend, who gives rather special presents. Probably like an uncle, only better. And a special friend with a remarkable likeness to the baby. Yes, I can really see that working.

And at the other end, what's the father saying to his family, his children? Of course, nothing, it's all kept secret, covered up with lies, the perfect foundation for a happy family.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mylife
    Mylife Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Gettingthere, it's true when you tell half truths you have to keep the pretence, I felt cornered hence not telling the truth to family. At the moment my family think I'm a victim of an unscrupulous man (strongly hinted at one night stand)but if I were to say I knew he was married, that would open a can of worms.

drivingmiss, I will have to deal with it at some stage, I hope even if I have another partner we can keep things civil.

Savysue, I know it would be the right thing for him to tell her, but what good would that achieve? people will be hurt especially the kids, I would rather we both keep quiet. In future the truth might come out but I will deal with it then.Also if he told her and she kicked him out, then what? I also do not want him. It's all a mess

Margaret521, thank you for your kind thoughtful words, despite what I have done I hope in future I will meet someone and start a family.

Harrysnan, thank you for your words, I do hope I'm doing the right thing. I know it's not going to be easy . As for him being in the baby's life , this is the right thing I just hope we come to an amicable agreement .

Smodlet, I don't understand what you mean, you say responsibility?what do you propose I do? I have accepted that I will mostly be a single parent, how else can I take responsibility?

Polly, if the wife found out and punched us , we deserve it. As gettingthere says "it would be his bank balance...." I think that would be his 2nd fear after losing his kids.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Any update? I still stand by he should help financially, it doesn’t matter if you can manage without him it could be a nest egg for the future, especially if he is wanting some sort of involvement?
    Hope the scan went well?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    klew356 wrote: »
    Any update? I still stand by he should help financially, it doesn’t matter if you can manage without him it could be a nest egg for the future, especially if he is wanting some sort of involvement?
    Hope the scan went well?

I thought the OP had decided a while ago to accept the offer of financial help...
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I thought the OP had decided a while ago to accept the offer of financial help...
    oh maybe she has and i have missed it, how he hides it from the wife im not sure?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    klew356 wrote: »
    oh maybe she has and i have missed it, how he hides it from the wife im not sure?

I believe it was early on in the thread.
    I think it was a knee-jerk reaction by the OP but she realised after various posts that not to accept financial help from the father of the child would be unfair on the child.

Maybe he and his wife have separate finances. I believe he has a well paid job.
  • Mylife
    Mylife Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Klew356 the scan went well, I had to take him and for that afternoon I felt like we were a family honestly I enjoyed seeing him again, of course he had to go home at the end of the day.I did test the waters by asking him what if people at work saw us what would we say, he said he didn't care.Whilst we don't work together , we have in the past worked in the same office and are in the same field with mutual colleagues. My sister is heartbroken I didn't go with her but I made excuses and have promised to take her to the next one. I'm thinking of booking a private scan so I can take my family with me.
    As for financial help, I remain conflicted although I will follow the advice given on the forum. I am not sure how to go about it, do I ask for a lump sum or a monthly allowance?anyone with advice pls help. How much is acceptable without seeming greedy?
    As for finances, its is the only thing he can offer without causing problems, I doubt the wife knows exactly how much he earns. I maybe wrong though .On the day of the scan we spoke of car seats, buggies etc and he suggested we change my car to a newer one with him providing the money. This makes me think he still thinks we are an item .

I haven't got the courage to ask about the wife ie what she might do if she found out.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there was contact between the child & the father I'm guessing the true relationship would never be acknowledged and the father would simply be passed off as a friend of Mum's.

When the baby is small it could be fairly easy to avoid acknowledging the father.

However, as it get older a family resemblance could well give it away. Any teacher will tell you how often we guess the parents before they sit in front of us at Parents' Evenings.

A true story:

Long-serving member of staff meeting a new intake in Y7 greeted a lad with 'Youre Robert Jones' boy, aren't you?'

'No,sir. He lives next door.' was the reply.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure