PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    solo or not, I like sundays for some daft reason

Turkey breast is now stock and there was plenty of meat on it. All prepared, the messy bit is finished and the cold has helped to cool everything fast. So the meaty bits will go into a layered pasta bake tomorrow. I think I will roast the red pepper, tomatoes, onion and garlic first, for extra flavour, then blitz that lot into a sauce. I seem to have had a satisfying day
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Farway wrote: »
    ooops, I should've mentioned this was over 40 years ago, number 2 baby is now dad of 2, and they are both school age :):):)

No more babies due unless my teenage grandchildren are less than careful;)

Hello Farway

I did wonder! :rotfl: Maybe I am having a ''senior moment"....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2018 at 6:57PM
    Well the choice was between cooking and housework today....

Umm...cooking won to some extent....

Got out one of my latest cookbooks (ie wholefood plant-based) and have made a savoury flavouring mix he seems to use a lot. Quite easy - a frequent method of "cooking" for me - of shove everything in blender and blitz together:rotfl:. Think that should help add a bit of oomph to things that need it.

Also made some stock he gives a recipe for - not a standard one:rotfl:. It's got things like white miso in for instance. That's currently cooking away. Not sure I'll go to the hassle of doing that very often - as I normally buy a reasonable brand of vegetable stock powder. But I had carrot and celery in needing using up and a bit has gone into that.

Made some bread again - just yer standard basic wholemeal.

Dinner looks likely to be a recipe I got off the Internet that looked pretty easy to me. Some canned chickpeas with loadsa assorted flavourings and the lemon juice I'm partial to sticking in everything possible - served on a bed of baby spinach with tahini dressing and various flavourings. Will have to have some "filler" something or other with that - will give some thought to that in a minute - depends whether I CBA (in which case bread) or feel a bit like effort (in which case maybe couscous).

Out of the two new groups I encountered this week - sure 'nuff it worked out 50/50. One group was an obvious "no". The other one looks more promising and part of the conversation was swopping notes on the type of food I eat. That's a bonus of a group with a younger average age than friends I've made to date here - they're more au fait with the "latest" foods etc on the market than most of my own agegroup are. I've just told them not to regard it as me having any "superior wisdom" (a la the 3 Ages of Woman and the latest one being "Wise Woman") - as I still make mistakes in life at intervals with the best of them:rotfl:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    wort wrote: »
    I made an all in one sponge cake earlier with dgson, we added ginger, and stem ginger to it, then I left it in too long, as I was descaling the coffee machine!
    It will still get eaten ,I'm thinking of putting custard on it.
    /QUOTE]

Adding custard solves most things, as does adding a pastry crust

The soup finished up very tasty, I find that creamy spud & celery is one soup that never fails for me. I have left it cooling and will eat it during the week, now thinking of making soda bread when I eat it. Sounds like meal planning :eek:, must resist, I prefer the mooch around for inspiration or YS meal method

MY piece of cod [nearly made a blooper there:D] turned out well, the pack was designed to be nuked but CFO means open it up and use one cod piece :rotfl: I just had to do that, the Devil was on my shoulder

Served with boiled new spuds & frozen peas as planned
    Discovered the Tartare sauce I thought i had I did not have, and have used all the peas. I'll restock after Doc's tomorrow, maybe infect everyone in A4da
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MrAPJI wrote: »

It was my first meeting at the ''Breakfast Club'' today. What a super bunch of chaps - all ages and from all walks of life - absolute pleasure to share their company. The breakfast was fantastic and such a wide choice. I chose : Porridge with berry compote; scrambled egg with smoked salmon bagel; almond croissant and a fresh fruit salad. I certainly don't feel like any lunch :). Following breakfast, one of the chaps gave a talk about working as an airline pilot, which was really interesting. Anyway, so glad I joined the group :)
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)
    OK, so I was pacing about ... time came and went. I tried to phone, it went to answerphone; I left it... I tried from another phone and it went to answerphone (just in case he had my number plugged in and was ignoring me!).

Paced about for another 15 minutes and decided he wasn't coming, so got the last portion of that stew and spuds from the fridge and nuked those hot. Into a bowl, walked into the living room and .... he's arrived.
    It always the same :cool:, hope he managed to fix the roof.
    Farway wrote: »
    ooops, I should've mentioned this was over 40 years ago, number 2 baby is now dad of 2, and they are both school age :):):)

No more babies due unless my teenage grandchildren are less than careful;)
    I did wonder........:rotfl:

Good evening everyone,
    The gale has arrived and it is absolutely battering down outdoors :(. I did manage a (very) brief walk before it hit but the wind was knocking my balance off so I didn't linger.
    Snow due later tomorrow night until Wednesday so I've booked a grocery order for tomorrowafternoon in case the delivery schedule goes skew whiff. I could manage until Wednesday for milk but didn't want to chance not getting it. Still tomorrow is 8 days since my last grocery spend so meets my 2018 aim:).
    Meal plan done for the week and another couple of new recipes planned both of which use stuff I already have in so I'm happy with that. Tonight I've decided the weather shout "beef stew" and might make a dumpling to have with it (though I suspect that may be shelved under CBA:o).
    Meals planned so far are:
    Tonight - beef stew,
    Monday- braised red cabbage with bratwurst sausages
    Tuesday- spiced chicken with lentils
    Wednesday - pork chop with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and spuds
    Thursday - spag bol
    Friday - cullen skink
    Saturday - tbc (my son is up so will see what he is doing/wants to eat- with a bit of luck he'll volunteer to cook
    Sunday - Rib roast of beef, cauli cheese, mash, yourkshires, carrots/peas and gravy. Lemon tart with berries & cream for pud (I'm cooking for my sister's birthday and rib roast was bought on SO ages ago so a nice treat since I'm not CFOing)

Lunches will be LOs, cheese or eggs though I might make some soup. The cabbage, chicken and spag bol will have spare portions so that will give me a wee stash of HM ready meals:)
  • Irenadler
    caronc wrote: »
    Meals planned so far are:
    Tonight - beef stew,
    Monday- braised red cabbage with bratwurst sausages
    Tuesday- spiced chicken with lentils
    Wednesday - pork chop with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and spuds
    Thursday - spag bol
    Friday - cullen skink
    Saturday - tbc (my son is up so will see what he is doing/wants to eat- with a bit of luck he'll volunteer to cook
    Sunday - Rib roast of beef, cauli cheese, mash, yourkshires, carrots/peas and gravy. Lemon tart with berries & cream for pud (I'm cooking for my sister's birthday and rib roast was bought on SO ages ago so a nice treat since I'm not CFOing)

Lunches will be LOs, cheese or eggs though I might make some soup. The cabbage, chicken and spag bol will have spare portions so that will give me a wee stash of HM ready meals:)

Hello Caronc

That all sounds so tasty... Trying not to drool on the keyboard!

I am trying to combine a diet, with buying yellow-stickered/reduced food, and trying not to buy for two people, keep failing on the last one, average on the reduced stuff, although I haven't cheated on the diet, despite the fact that the best reduced stuff next to the till were chocolate muffins, white bread, hot cross buns (is it Easter?), and a lovely looking iced carrot cake....

I only have to look downwards, and not see my feet, for the incentive to stick at it....;)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Hello Caronc

I am trying to combine a diet, with buying yellow-stickered/reduced food, and trying not to buy for two people, keep failing on the last one, average on the reduced stuff, although I haven't cheated on the diet, despite the fact that the best reduced stuff next to the till were chocolate muffins, white bread, hot cross buns (is it Easter?), and a lovely looking iced carrot cake....

I only have to look downwards, and not see my feet, for the incentive to stick at it....;)

If cooking for 2 is what works for you, then carry on and serve yours up on a plate, and the second portion straight into a dish that can be frozen and nuked. If you don't have the dishes from takeaways handy, £1land , Tesco, b&m etc all sell them. Cook once, eat twice :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Hello Caronc

Thanks Irenadler, at the end of the day if cooking for two works best for you do that. Just either have it twice or freeze one. (Just don't eat both at once :cool:) Although it's a CFO thread doesn't mean you need to cook single portions to post here though that works for some. :) I try a blend of batch cooking and single serve meals, if I overload on batch meals I find I'm eating the same things for ages or they just linger unduly in the freezer whereas if I only cook single serve I've no spares for days when I either cba or can't actually physically cook. I love cooking (and eating though thankfully I'm not a snacker or overly tempted by sweet things so tend to eat pretty much what I fancy for main meals and watch what I'm doing otherwise).
    suki1964 wrote: »
    If cooking for 2 is what works for you, then carry on and serve yours up on a plate, and the second portion straight into a dish that can be frozen and nuked. If you don't have the dishes from takeaways handy, £1land , Tesco, b&m etc all sell them. Cook once, eat twice :)
    Snap:)
  • Irenadler
    suki1964 wrote: »

Hello Suki

Thank you; I do over-cook quantities, and end up having it 2 days running, or, bigger portions... I don't mind this, but, freezing is definitely something I am doing now.

It's the salad stuff that gets me most, like, trying to eat a whole lettuce or cucumber before they go limp/wizened up. Even eating it almost every day (which I don't fancy as much this weather).

I'll have to delve around the interweb to see if there is a better way to keep these lasting longer, or, forgo them, or find an alternative....

I used to do some veg/salad growing with OH, but that kind of fell by the wayside. I do recall using cut and come again salad leaves in a pot, so the rest could keep growing and I could take what I needed, but that's when summer is actually here.. Must get brain in gear!

• Irenadler
    caronc wrote: »
    Thanks Irenadler, at the end of the day if cooking for two works best for you do that. Just either have it twice or freeze one. (Just don't eat both at once :cool:) Although it's a CFO thread doesn't mean you need to cook single portions to post here though that works for some. :) I try a blend of batch cooking and single serve meals, if I overload on batch meals I find I'm eating the same things for ages or they just linger unduly in the freezer whereas if I only cook single serve I've no spares for days when I either cba or can't actually physically cook. I love cooking (and eating though thankfully I'm not a snacker or overly tempted by sweet things so tend to eat pretty much what I fancy for main meals and watch what I'm doing otherwise).

Snap:)

Ha! Gave me a chuckle... 'Great minds think alike'! :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family