IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

No luck with POPLA. Give up and pay?

Hi all,

As the registered owner of the vehicle in question, a PCN was delivered a while ago This was appealed via Eurocarparks, which was rejected. Then appealed to POPLA who have also rejected the appeal.
edit: appeals were made using templates suggested. Some details were added, including disputing the high cost of the fine, which seems unreasonable.

Should we assume this is the end of the road for appealing and the fine stands, and should be paid?

Comments

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,021 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fine?

It's the end of the road for appealing, what exactly was your appeal to POPLA did you follow the advice on here?

Why did you think adding silly comments about the unreasonable costs would make any difference?

Why on earth do you think you need to pay a scam[STRIKE] fine[/STRIKE] invoice from these Muppets, what awful transgression did you make?
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    graycells wrote: »
    Hi all,

As the registered owner of the vehicle in question, a PCN was delivered a while ago This was appealed via Eurocarparks, which was rejected. Then appealed to POPLA who have also rejected the appeal.
    edit: appeals were made using templates suggested. Some details were added, including disputing the high cost of the fine, which seems unreasonable.

Should we assume this is the end of the road for appealing and the fine stands, and should be paid?

NO NO NO ....... POPLA has become just another load of rubbish set up by the BPA. ... POPLA assessors have got worse ... ex tea boys, refuse collectors, who knows, the one certain thing is they are not professionals .... shame on the BPA, second time they have screwed up.

Just wait to see what Euro do and come back here.

PS: If you receive letters from auto droid debt collectors such as DRP ........ YOU IGNORE THEM
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74439905#post74439905
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, why have you started a second thread on this incident?
  • fisherjim - Yes, it's a 'fine' or penalty -
    “fine - noun
    A sum of money exacted as a penalty by a court of law or other authority.
    ‘a parking fine’”
    Here is a reference from Oxford English Dictionary online just in case you wish to double check. Thank you for your obnoxious response.

The template used is on the Newbies thread called “Template appeal for BPA or IPC members” to which I sent to Euro Car Parks. So that stage has been followed as advised. They rejected the appeal, so the next step was POPLA appeal. The template used to them was taken from a page I cannot link, however it was written by a MSE writer (Megan French) and recently updated in Nov 2018.
    Suggestions offered on this page say that excessive fines (sorry, fisherjim, “penalties”) can be challenged. Hence my adding that comment to the POPLA appeal. It seems to have had no bearing either way, since it has not been noted at all in the response.

Thank you beamerguy I will read further into this.

KeithP if I could change the title of my original post I would surely resurrect it.

Why is everyone so righteous and intolerant on this particular forum? I understand you must get the same annoying questions and statements day after day, but please, a lot of us who come here are worried and confused, (it isn’t helped at all by the Newbies thread, which involves a decent amount of reading time for anyone and is in no way concise!) we all just want to get it right.
  • just pay the fine and be done

bye bye
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2018 at 10:14AM
    Next step for PPC would be court. If that happens, you will need some solid arguments why you are not in breach of contract. They will have their version and a barrister.

If you have no solid arguments, you will lose.

If you are relying on their charge being unreasonable, look up "Beavis".

In this thread, you have given us insufficient information to advise you on settling or not but my gut feel so far is that you have simply copied templates and out of date information and you have no solid points to submit.

But you can hold on till you get an LBA or court papers.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Popla is paid for, and favours, the private parking industry. It is not independent and many of its adjudcators are lowly paid law graduates looking for permanent positions as trainee solicitors.

Do not even consider paying until you have read this.

It is the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business. Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers. Read this one which I wrote earlier

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    graycells wrote: »
    fisherjim - Yes, it's a 'fine' or penalty -
    “fine - noun
    A sum of money exacted as a penalty by a court of law or other authority.
    ‘a parking fine’”
    Here is a reference from Oxford English Dictionary online just in case you wish to double check. Thank you for your obnoxious response.

The template used is on the Newbies thread called “Template appeal for BPA or IPC members” to which I sent to Euro Car Parks. So that stage has been followed as advised. They rejected the appeal, so the next step was POPLA appeal. The template used to them was taken from a page I cannot link, however it was written by a MSE writer (Megan French) and recently updated in Nov 2018.
    Suggestions offered on this page say that excessive fines (sorry, fisherjim, “penalties”) can be challenged. Hence my adding that comment to the POPLA appeal. It seems to have had no bearing either way, since it has not been noted at all in the response.

Thank you beamerguy I will read further into this.

KeithP if I could change the title of my original post I would surely resurrect it.

Why is everyone so righteous and intolerant on this particular forum? I understand you must get the same annoying questions and statements day after day, but please, a lot of us who come here are worried and confused, (it isn’t helped at all by the Newbies thread, which involves a decent amount of reading time for anyone and is in no way concise!) we all just want to get it right.

It is not a fine or a penalty. It is a speculative invoice from a bunch of scammers.
    No private individual or company can issue you with a fine or a penalty.
    Your own definition tells you fines and penalties are issued by courts or other authorities. A private parking scammer is none of these, hence why you have been "told off" for using the "f" word on this forum.

Megan French works for MSE, and alas you have been led astray. The advice from the "Official" MSE pages are just plain wrong, and several years out of date.
    We have complained long and hard for them to be changed but it always falls on deaf ears. The advice given there is absolutely dreadful, and the people writing it have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

Unfortunately the situation you are in cannot now be changed, so all you can do is go into ignore mode unless you get real court papers.
    The PoPLA decision is not binding on the motorist. Only a court can instruct you to pay, not a group set up by a bunch of scammers to give a thin veneer of respectability to a disgraceful industry.

I would urge you to complain to your MP about this unregulated scam using the information in red from post 1 of the NEWBIES.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Very polite FC, I am not sure OP deserves it.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Popla is not binding on the motorist, as above they are not exactly independent.

Likewise this is not a fine, or a penalty, thats why the dress it up as a Parking Charge Notice, and as if by some magical co-incidence it just so happens to have the same initials as a genuine Penalty Charge Notice.

There is a high throughput on here, with many posters, like yourself ( graycells) confused as to what exactly they are dealing with, and how to deal with it, so at times answers/reply's may seem a little short, and possibly rude, dont be offended if you feel that way, the aim is for your money to stay in your pocket, and out of the accounts of the parking companies.

So lets start from the top:
    Why did you receive a parking charge notice in the first place? overstay? own space and no permit? ticket not displayed in the right place ( ie passenger side dashboard, drivers side dashboard) you parked a red car in a space for magenta cars? you parked with the tyre valves at a position other than 12 o'clock?

Who's car park was it? supermarket - if so what? Pub - chain pub, or free house independent? shop? retail park? other?

All of those will have an effect and help us to give you the correct advice
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure