Scottish Power quote

1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi,

I'm on an unusual tariff fr my all electric heating. I have a day rate, a night rate and a control rate.

As you'd expect the day is around double the night rate and the control rate which is used for heating is slightly cheaper than the night rate.

I had an email from Scottish Power who are my supplier that I'm on the standard variable rate and should consider changing to another one of their tariffs. The automated tool in the website refused to quote so I used webchat.

The quote they gave was a 6p per day increase in the standing charge, a 2p per KWH reduction in the day rate and a 7p increase in the night & control rates to exactly the same as the day rate.

Surely they can't only have this one offer which nobody is going to take?

Have I been given duff info or are they just the duffest of companies?

Comments

• Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This really doesn't sound right. There is no way the 3 rates should be the same.

Like you, I'm on Scottish Power Comfortplus Control, but not the same version as you, I have 2 meters with 2 rates - standard and control. I was on a Fixed rate to December 2019, but latest bill said I would be cheaper on their new 'Fix for Longer February 2021' rate. I got a quote through chat, did some calculations and found I would save around £50 a year and get a much longer fix, so I switched tariffs.

I tried to switch on line, but had to either phone or chat. I went through chat and switched, effective within 24 hours.

On this system, in my well insulated first floor flat, I pay around £55 a month.

If I was you, I would 'chat, again and see if they have misquoted.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Be_Happy wrote: »
    This really doesn't sound right. There is no way the 3 rates should be the same.

Suppliers only usually have one tariff to support such legacy metering, and of course you cannot change supplier.

However, I understand the existing supplier must now offer such customers a single rate tariff as well. I think this is what the OP has been offered here.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Scottish Power were able to quote me on several tariffs for my meters. As for changing supplier, other suppliers were able to offer comparable tariffs, but the slight savings I would make would not have offset the possibility of something going wrong in the switch.

Perhaps it is different in various regions. I'm in southern Scotland.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 August 2018 at 5:53AM
    Hi,

there are different Comfort Plus setups, scroll here to find yours.

Now try this to compare tariffs.
  • I've just had a similar letter informing me that my Comfortplus control tariff is going to be increased by 37% with effect from January. This means an additional £500 on an already high £2k annual bill. It appears that SP are trying to push me into another contract with new T&C's because their quoted alternative of a fixed price until 2020 comes in with an estimated cost just £9 greater than my current tariff. I don't really want a new contract and think this proposed increase is totally unjustified. Any suggestions for fighting this? BTW Scottish Power is also staying that I'm on a Standard Variable Tariff which is blatantly untrue...
  • Biscuit_Tin
    Biscuit_Tin Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 12 December 2018 at 9:52AM
    Queechie wrote: »
    I've just had a similar letter informing me that my Comfortplus control tariff is going to be increased by 37% with effect from January. This means an additional £500 on an already high £2k annual bill. It appears that SP are trying to push me into another contract with new T&C's because their quoted alternative of a fixed price until 2020 comes in with an estimated cost just £9 greater than my current tariff. I don't really want a new contract and think this proposed increase is totally unjustified. Any suggestions for fighting this? BTW Scottish Power is also staying that I'm on a Standard Variable Tariff which is blatantly untrue...

No one is pushing you to accept new terms
    You are on a variable tariff, and you have been advised of a price rise.
    If this is the first price rise you have been notified this year, then you are doing well, as some suppliers have advised no less than FOUR price rises to their variable tariff customers this year.

It appears you have been offered an alternative tariff which is fixed that would only cost you 75p per month more. What terms of this tariff are you unwilling to accept? Or are you simply uneasy with accepting a fixed tariff? Is there any early exit fee that would apply to this tariff, and if so, how much?

I would have thought the option of paying 75p pm month more (and the risk of any early exit fee that may apply if you later want to transfer before the term ends, should prices suddenly generally drop like a stone) would be preferential to paying over £40 per month extra

The options for fighting any price increase are the same as fighting any price increase at your local supermarket when you see they have upped the price of your favourite can of beans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure