When you owe more than your annual net salary

Comments

• LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All I would say Is double check what budget you have agreed to as ours is very tight(I know it has to be) but it's very hard to penny pinch long term. A bit of free choice money to spend or add to the debts makes it much more motivating. I have also sent the pennies from my bank account to a savings account. Eg 2.10 so send the 10p. It's a minor thing but if you do it and the readjust your budget slightly to cope it does build up and suprise you.

Good luck in your journey and keep us posted. X

Thank you for the tips...

Especially the rounding down one. I used to do that with an old CC, never thought to do it with a savings account.

I put in that I smoked, which I don't and also an allowance for the dog. That's currently coming from my own weekly budget

The SC plan made me budget for things I don't budget for at the min, like my opticians and the dentist and the car servicing. So in a way, its good. Those three events I kinda winged it and mainly cos I was so stretched trying to make payments that I couldn't afford, it meant I couldn't budget. Does that make sense?

I hope you have a diary, I'd love to pop along and say hi xxx
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Glad you are feeling a bit better. It's sounds like you have a good plan. Most of my ideas I've found in the forum's. I used to think I was organised with money but obviously not x I've not got a diary but I do pop on and have a read of other people's for a bit of inspiration and say hello.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    your story is so touching. It is exactly why I am determined to get my debts to zero. My Partner is stable financially but we are not married and I have a daughter from a previous relationship. I am determined to get myself straightened up so that I will always be able to support my family and maybe someday add to it.
    best of luck
    SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • LexieLou
    Hola...

Went grocery shopping after work for dinner...yes I know you shouldn't shop on an empty stomach, but lets face it, tonight is the last time I'll be doing it for the next 6 and a bit years. Got home and realised just how much I'd spent on stuff I didn't need. Obvs the dog food and food I did need, but the treats, no I didn't need those, and I felt slightly depressed that I'd wasted £10 on them, it did include a bottle of tonic as I have 3 bottles of very nice gin (in the drinks cupboard in the kitchen) to keep me company, so hmmm...

As I sit in bed, waiting for my false tan to dry (an old bottle...so it probably won't work and I'll end up with a rash instead), I also realise that my slightly increased waist is becoming uncomfortable and I swear I will not let that continue. You know if you sit the roll of fat is in the way and it feels gross. I'm a wee shortie and probably a size 12, so I'm obese for my frame, and you can tell at the min

So its both a mission to shed the debt and the weight :rotfl:

I've nothing else to report, I do feel better, as I know I've been budgeting for the last year and now I have the kick up the rear to budget a bit more

I'm going to work from home one day a week, which will save some ££££ on fuel, and I've also joined the May food shopping thing thats on the site (can't remember the correct name)

Oh and I found the receipt for my broken clothes airer / clothes horse I bought that literally collapsed. So thats £15 refund instead of the unreceipted £8 they were going to give me. Thats £15 straight into the emergency fund

Thanks for calling by,

I do appreciate it

Love you all

LL xx
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • deux_x_m
    deux_x_m Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck.
    The feeling when you finally face up to the amount you owe and the fact you need to do something is horrible, but it's the first step to sorting it out. The support on here is a massive help.
    I couldn't sleep, every night I lay there and just had numbers whizzing around my head. I felt empty and as if I had been punched in the stomach. I created a spreadsheet with all my debts and projected payment dates and, even though I don't post on it much, created a diary on here.
    Those two acts changed everything for me. I feel 1000 times better and more positive. I log every penny I spend and the amount of money I spend has drastically reduced.
    I love payday more for seeing the numbers on my spreadsheet drop more than getting paid!

I'll be 48 when I'm free of debt as well - but imagine what 49 will be like!!!!
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Glad you're feeling more positive. The challenges on the DFW Challenges board are excellent - the monthly NST (Ninja Saving Turtles is very good. Challenges you to see how many NSDs you can get with great support from the other posters.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Glad you are feeling more positive :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • LexieLou
    Happy Sunday

I had a fab weekend, caught up with loads of friends, I'm so lucky to have amazing mates

I got £15 back for the knackered clothes horse, found some foreign currently, got £23.40 for that.

So thats a nice top up to the funds

I've a few things on gumtree, hopefully they sell

I'm loving the 1% challenge (can't remember the link). I'm trying to decide whether to put the money I've earned / saved this weekend into the emergency fund, or the 1% club. Either way they are all savings and when you have very little, every penny helps

Nothing else to report, except the dog was sick and the armchair that houses the ironing is being tackled at the min.

Have a fab night

Lots of Love

LL xx
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • LexieLou
    Dog has been walked - she's stinking, my kitchen is stinking as a result, she's also hyper tonight.....She's also gonna have to stay in the kitchen this evening

Total spends today: £4.78,

Tomorrow I need to get some groceries, so spends will be a bit more

Might manage a NSD on Thurs, but TBC

Started to collect receipts for all spends, felt like a bit of a wally asking for a receipt for a bunch of bananas and a block of cheese:rotfl:

Working from home tomorrow, which is great, need to get my tyres re-aligned and balanced, so while thats being done I can nip into the bank and get an old bank account back up and running

Got my gumtree item sold last night....totally delighted.

Quite a few more bits lying around to get sold, had them on gumtree but no joy, so I'll try ebay

Got a letter from one of my CC, haven't opened it yet :eek:

Nothing else to report

Lots of Love

LL xx
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • lindez
    lindez Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi LexiLou,
    Just subscribed to your diary good luck on your journey. I am a recent newbie to the MSE forum, I hope you don't mind me following you. I have been looking through diaries I have quite a bit of debt myself and I am looking for ways to tackle it. I have joined a few challenges and they will be challenges that hopefully I can achieve. Hope you have had a good day. x
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family