2017 - Spend less, live more

Comments

• That is great news Chanie. Always good to get unexpected money :D
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was planning to buy DD a new chest of drawers for her bedroom in January. I received a £5 off voucher so I popped in today to take advantage of the offer.
  • chanie
    Progress on 2017

I managed to meet my challenge of ‘saving’ £800 on purchases. So, I’ve decided to up it to £1000 in 2018, which is going to be more challenging.

What do I want to do in 2018? Actually reduce my overdraft. I’m now in a position where I should be able to save, so want to use some of the money I save to reduce my overdraft.
    I also need to buy a new car in 2018, which I’m going to have to pay off out of savings and pay myself back. My car is 15+ years old and it’s getting to the point now where things are going majorly wrong with it. I’m not a car type of person, so it won’t be an expensive car. OHs car is older and we were going to change his first, but our mechanic advised we do my car first. I have thought about whether we could cope with one car. Now that both children are at school, we could, but our lives are so busy and having two cars does make it that much easier for us.

Technically, I’ve been paid my January salary, so any savings I make now are for January. So far:
    2 pairs of trousers, saving £14.
    2 discounted cinema tickets, saving about £6

Once Xmas is over and done with, I’m going to pop this into my savings
  • chanie
    I’m hope everyone had a nice Xmas. Ours had been lovely and pretty stress free. I think it’s because we organised most of it in advance, so we didn’t have much last minute rushing around.

I will be setting my goals for 2018 soon. To help me, I’ve bought a bullet journal, which is essentially making the pages look colourful and interesting. I have a notepad to write things in and I get a new one every year, but I want to create one that will motivate me.
  • Please you had a lovely Christmas,can'twait to see your goals for 2018 xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    edited 27 December 2017 at 9:47PM
    review of 2017

I didn’t achieve my goals of loosing weight and reducing my overdraft, which are big, important things.

I did som small achievements
    Learning to bake bread - I’ve practiced, but I’m not brilliantly it.
    Made my first ever Christmas pudding
    Visited a couple of tourist attraction I’ve wanted to visit
    Attempted to make a Christmas wreath

Before I forget, a few Xmas 2018 preparations:
    1) printed off labels for snowman soup/magic reindeer food, elf letters and Santa letters. I always forget to do them.
    2) bought 3 rolls of wrapping paper today for 50p each from Sainsbury’s.
    3) bought my first present today - a thermal mug for The children’s godfather.
  • chanie
    I bought another couple of Christmas 2018 gifts today from Sainsbury’s. I bought insulated cups, water bottles and a toy, reduced from £28 to £8.

I popped into Sainsbury’s this morning and grabbed a load of reduced sale items, but something told me to put them back, so I did and left. On my way to work, I stated to think about all the unsuitable gifts we have at home which we were given for Christmas. I really don’t want to waste my money on unwanted clutter for other people, so I do try and get good gifts and if that’s not possible, something that’s useful. So, I had a little think about which items may work for various people. I left feeling very much in control and pleased with my purchases.
  • chanie
    It’s the last day of 2017 today. I hope everyone has a good evening. We will be staying in as I hate going out on New Year’s Eve. We will be putting away the Christmas decorations today and it will be good to get back to normality.

Plans for 2018 - much the same as 2017, but I want to actually achieve something by the end of the year, not just be in the same place that I am now.

Goals for 2018
    Broadly speaking they are:
    Loose weight
    Reduce overdraft
    Read more books
    Bake more and try lots of new recipes
    Support OH with his goals
    Have new experiences and build happy family memories.
  • Some excellent goals there Chanie, I hope 2018 is a good one for you xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    frugal stuff
    1) diverted some unwanted Xmas gifts to my regifiting box.
    2) prepared some kale for freezing (bought for 50 on Xmas eve)
    3) I’m going to start some bread rolls tonight and will freeze - will see whether the children will have them in their packed lunches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure