Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I've never once had any banana left.

ME neither
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    What's the point in buying the biggest bananas unless you're going to use a whole one? It's not as though you can keep half of one for another day lol

Yes you can! My dad did this all the time in his late 90's

Cut the banana in half BEFORE peeling it.
    Wrap the piece you want to keep very tightly in cling film with the open end really well sealed in the centre of the film.

Keep in the fridge - this may accelerate the browning of the skin but the flesh remains better longer

OK for a day or two, when you remove the cling film either the banana will still be perfect (as the day you cut it) OR IF there is some "browning" you will need to cut a sliver of 2 or 3 mm off the end.

Alternatively if your bananas do go soft with "brown" bits - that means they are PERFECT for making BANANA CAKE.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    What's the point in buying the biggest bananas unless you're going to use a whole one? It's not as though you can keep half of one for another day lol
    ...I do this a lot. (I suppose that makes me weird ;) ) I don't use cling film, I just don't peel the whole way and then store the rest in a ceramic bowl with a plate over it, it stores fine and the only bit which I lose is the slither at the end I've cut.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    A heads up for a Lidl toiletries own brand product. I tried their aerosol dry shampoo, which is a Batiste dupe, and got fantastic results.
    Part of it might have been the fact that I let the shampoo dry really well on my hair after getting interrupted.

Anyway, it brushed out beautifully and my hair really did look freshly washed. It had looked quite lank beforehand - it's straight, but flyaway, and extremely fine.

Very pleased with this and will be buying it again on my trips to that store.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Payless wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether Aldi or Lidl sell naan breads? I try to do the majority of my shopping at these shops but I don't drive and it's a pain when they don't stock what I need

Lidl do, plan and garlic and coriander ones in the bread aisle.
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can anyone recommend any of Aldi's pizzas? .

...and chips.

Thanks

Liz
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Lidl have started stocking their own natural skyr yoghurt again, it's not massively cheaper than in other supermarkets about 2p per 100g but it's still a saving and I find it just as good as the arla skyr and can be easier to get to a lidl sometimes than tesco.
    Booo!!!
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Eliza wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any of Aldi's pizzas? .

...and chips.

Thanks

Liz

Haven't had a bad Aldi pizza yet, though I usually make my own.

The chips I really recommend are Aldi's Specially Selected chunky oven chips. I've seen someone who owns a very highly regarded local pub restaurant fill her trolley with these.
    Usually in stock too, as they are the most expensive chips Aldi do.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Haven't had a bad Aldi pizza yet, though I usually make my own.

The chips I really recommend are Aldi's Specially Selected chunky oven chips. I've seen someone who owns a very highly regarded local pub restaurant fill her trolley with these.
    Usually in stock too, as they are the most expensive chips Aldi do.

I'd go along with the chip recommendation. Always had these - until we discovered the stupidly overpriced but incredibly good (it's the beef dripping) McCains 'Gorgeous Chips'.

Don't think Aldi or Lidl do a beef dripping chip - maybe soon!
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 12 April 2017 at 12:51AM
    Aldi had some of this week's Super 6 veg for 19p - carrots, leeks and parsnips. All top quality. The cauliflowers and broccoli had sold out in my Aldi, but lots of potatoes for 29p a 2.5kg bag. 3 good size courgettes also 29p.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I popped into a different branch of Lidl this lunchtime. Only 2 of the eight tills were open, and the queues were ridiculous. It made me realise I often see queues at Lidl, or perhaps the stores are just more cramped?

The queue management at Aldi is much better - this goes for all the branches I have visited. Somehow the staff seem quicker to hop on and off.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure