Flight Delay Compensation, Lufthansa Only

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dave_TH wrote: »
    aircraft was delayed leaving Stuttgart to Munich due to a problem at the airport was told an aircraft had gone off the runway

With them paying for the hotel plus taxis I am assuming they knew they where at fault otherwise why would they do this, whilst getting the hotel hundreds of other people where also given free hotels, they laid on buses and taxis.

On a through ticket, the airline has a certain responsibility even if it is not their fault so providing hotels etc does not indicate EU compensation is due (airlines have provided hotels during weather disruption)

Sounds like, if the delay was due to an airport issue, this is outside of the airlines control so whilst there is a duty of care (which they seem to have provided) there would be no 'compensation'
  • Dave_TH
    Dave_TH Posts: 183 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2013 at 7:35AM
    Dave_TH wrote: »
    just wondering if I have a claim. aircraft was delayed leaving Stuttgart to Munich due to a problem at the airport was told an aircraft had gone off the runway LF promised that our connecting flight from Munich to Manchester would wait for us (both LF flights) arrived at Munich and rushed to the check-in desk to find the flight had already left, LF put us in a hotel and we flew the following day total delay was 12 hours.
    With them paying for the hotel plus taxis I am assuming they knew they where at fault otherwise why would they do this, whilst getting the hotel hundreds of other people where also given free hotels, they laid on buses and taxis.

Just had a phone call from LF customer relations declining my claim stating my aircraft suffered a bird strike and that was the cause of the delay, they say it is exceptional circumstances and thats the end of the matter, I need to consider what I may receive in compensation (if indeed I have a claim) versus what it would cost to push through a court (including stress and hassle) the route was less than 1,500 km so is at the lowest end of the compensation ladder.
    thoughts peeps??
  • Hi,

We (2 adults + 2 kids) had a flight from TLV to Florence (Italy) with a connection at Munich (all Lufthansa, well the connection flight was operated by Air Dolomiti but that was a LH code sharing).
    Anyway, the flight from TLV to Munich got delayed and as a result we missed our connection flight. We had to spend a night at Munich and got a new flight the next day, for a total delay of more than 12 hours (we got hotel and transportation from LH).

Do you think we have a "case" to ask for compensation? I am not sure what was the cause of the delay of our original flight.

Thx!
  • Thargoid
    Thargoid Posts: 114 Forumite
    Strikes in Frankfurt on the 22nd April means my flight from Frankfurt onwards has been cancelled but the first leg (UK - Frankfurt) is still valid. It's worse for me to get stuck in Frankfurt than rebooking another flight from the UK with another airline. Can I get a refund for the whole thing?
  • y2jammie
    y2jammie Posts: 28 Forumite
    So after about 5 months of trying to get compensation for myself and 3 other people on my booking ...

I got a voicemail from Lufthansa customer service complaints department yesterday saying they're pleased to say they'll be making us a payment. They said that I just need to call them quoting the reference number they've given me and provide them with the telephone numbers and individual bank details for each person on the booking and that they'll make the payment!
  • y2jammie
    Once I've got everyone's details and called them to arrange the payment i'll post all of the information I have including the direct landline number to their complaints department in Liverpool.

Thanks for all of the help so far!
  • pleasurebear
    pleasurebear Posts: 27 Forumite
    I issued a summons through the County Court. Lufthansa have lodged a defence in which they say "The Statutory Instrument 2005 No 975 Civil Aviation states that any breaches of the terms of EU Regulation 261/2004 are matters for the designated National Enforcement Body and no recovery is provided for in local courts".

Following a news item, the BBC News Team provided me with the following article:
    http://eutopialaw.com/2013/02/04/case-c-1211-denise-mcdonagh-v-ryanair-volcanic-ash-and-super-extraordinary-circumstances/

Note the second issue in the analysis.
  • Wesjr4
    Wesjr4 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi,

First time I've posted on one of these sites, but have read them for advice for a while now, which has really helped!

Just wanted to share some info on this topic.

Last November, my fianc! and I travelled back from tokyo to the uk, booked through Lufthansa. Whilst the outgoing flight was fantastic, the return leg was a bit of a nightmare! We arrived at tokyo airport, checked in, went through to departures, 45 mins after the flight was due to leave we were informed it was canceled. They then spent the next 7 hours distributing passengers into hotels across the city and booking people onto flights the following day, over 24hours later.

When we got back I emailed lufthansa to apply for compensation under the new EU regulation, to which 8 weeks later they sent a 4 page letter outlining the reason why they chose not to pay out.

A week or so ago,whilst watching BBC watchdog, there was a report on this very subject which got me thinking I should write to them again, stating the info the CAA had said on the show.

What happened next has surprised even me. I wasn't expecting any reply, let alone so quickly. I have copied the main bit of the email below.

"Thank you for your continued correspondence and for supplying us with your bank details in order to finalise your claim.

We have today arranged for a payment of EUR600.00 per person, which is equivalent to GBP506.88, to be transferred into your specified bank account. Please be advised that these payments will appear as two separate transactions and we ask that you allow 14 days for these payments to clear.

We hope for your understanding that the irregularities you experienced are not typical of the dependable service Lufthansa is known to provide. We look forward to regaining your full confidence in our service"

I'm still waiting for the money, but will update you as and when I do.

Hope this helps anyone in someway to continue fighting for any compensation your owed ...
  • ashlar77
    ashlar77 Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2013 at 12:38PM
    I would like to report that I just have had great success claiming compensation from Lufthansa for a flight cancelled due to technical problems, using the tips in this thread.

Initially, they refused, claiming that technical issues can happen and are beyond their responsibility - I responded using the link to the European court given earlier in Centipede100's post this thread, which states that technical faults cannot be counted as exceptional circumstances. They quickly responded offering me the full compensation claimed.

The whole process was done via email using the web form on Lufthansa's site, and took only a little over a week.

Overall, I'm happy both with Lufthansa's customer service and the outstanding advice given on this forum. Thank you all!
  • y2jammie
    Wesjr4 / ashlar77 - have either of you actually had the cash in your bank yet? I had an email similar to Wesjr4 on 13th May saying that they were (eventually) willing to pay compensation and would do so within 14 days ... but still nothing.

I emailed them last Thursday and got a pretty quick response saying that they'd processed it and that they'd check with their accounts dept to see if there were any issues with it but had nothing since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure