First home, need help with carpet please! What thickness carpet/underlay etching

Options
StupidFace
StupidFace Posts: 16 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Hi,

I hope someone could be of help!

Just bought a brand new 1 bed apartment however there are zero carpets (will probably need about 36m2) It's just me and my partner and we would like something soft and luxurious underfoot. We think we may go with Saxony Deep Pile as our budget is a bit tight however we obviously want the best our our money can get. First time buyer do neither of us have ever done this before!

My questions are:

What mm pile height should I pick for optimum comfort?

What mm underlay could I choose in conjunction with the carpet? (Cloud 9 etc?)

Hessian or felt backed?? (This is all going to be a nightmare!)

Is it worth us paying for all of the materials first and then hiring a fitter as we would like to save money where possible??

Colour thoughts? Beige, grey (bit worried grey will be a bit "cold" feeling if you get my meaning!) Walls will be white.

We're probably not going to go down the Carpetright route, will probably order everything online then find a fitter on mybuilder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is our "go to" carpet. Recommended initially by the interior designer that we work with, it's great value for money and looks and feels like much more expensive carpet. Polypropelene is also washable!

https://www.onlinecarpets.co.uk/60-sensation-heathers-carpet.html

We do the same as you're thinking, and shop around for the carpet and fitters. Prices vary wildly!

There are a million different greys. Some will be warm, some will be cool. Don't fall into a trap of thinking that an entire colour is warm or cool.

Buy the best underlay you can afford, that is all!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As Doozergirl recommended get the best underlay you can afford,it will make your carpet feel better and make it last longer,do not fall into the trap of getting a carpet with a really deep pile,yes it will feel good walking around in your bare feet but:- the pile wears quicker and more importantly you may have to remove all your doors and shave a bit off the bottom as they will catch on the carpet ( i am talking from experiance,big mistake )then in years time when you fit another carpet you will be able to limbo under the doors!
    Allright i am exagerating but i am sure you follow my drift.
    Also do not buy 80/20 wool carpets,look great but if you spill anything on them,hard to remove stains.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • StupidFace
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

@Doozergirl I've been looking at onlinecarpets as they seem to have the best prices! My kitchen/living room is open plan and I would like the grey tiles to match as close as possible to the carpet therefore I'm going to have to order a few samples.

@Ganga We were thinking of going with the Cloud 9 11mm as everyone seems to love the stuff but we're unsure what thickness of carpet to get as we don't want it too thick! Would rather have a thick underlay and slightly less thick carpet.

Any suggestions as to thickness of Saxony carpet that would go well with 11mm Cloud 9?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,524 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Also do not buy 80/20 wool carpets,look great but if you spill anything on them,hard to remove stains.

Completely disagree. Never had a problem, including a glass of red wine being knocked over on a light grey 80:20 carpet.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wherever you buy it, you really need to see the carpet in situ. Take a sample home, move it around, think about it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Got a 12mm pile carpet in the lounge on top of 1mm thick underlay. Really soft and pleasant under foot. Did have to take a fair bit off the bottom of the door, which might be a problem if the carpet/underlay is ever replaced. Although, being hessian backed, I would expect at least 20 years of use out of the carpet.

Got a cheap felt backed carpet on order for another room - this one will be going down on top of 9mm underlay, but I'm only planning on a 3-5 year life out of it.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Completely disagree. Never had a problem, including a glass of red wine being knocked over on a light grey 80:20 carpet.

Can I just second this please. 80/20 all the way.

But to be even more :money: Just get 2 samples of really nice carpet, then strap them to your feet. ;)
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • StupidFace
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!

Neither of us are particularly handy therefore skimming the door (or whatever it is called!) is a no-no!

Also got a problem as the lounge is open plan, we would like the same carpet throughout however the tiles and worktop in the open plan kitchen are a slate colour. Originally we were going to go with beige carpet however I personally think it will look stupid next to the slate tiles. Anyone agree with me? That's why I've been looking at more grey carpets however I'm worried about it feeling cold as the walls will be white due to it being next to the kitchen. It's been driving me mad!

Anyone noticed a major difference between 9mm and 11mm Cloud 9, I've heard the 11mm can cause problems with fitting etc as it's so thick???

Thanks again!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Change the wall colour. It's white slate that's that's cold (and a bit yawn inducing), not the carpet. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • StupidFace
    StupidFace Posts: 16 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 December 2018 at 4:08PM
    Options
    Do you think that a beige carpet would look stupid next to slate tiles?

I've added another dilemma too! (This will be the end of me I'm sure!) Saxony or twist? Quite like the look (and price!) of the Splendid Action Back Saxony but I've had a look at the Apollo Plus Twist by Cormar which I also like. I want it luxurious and soft!

What do you think?? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport